Coronavirus

Anorthernsoul

I think it's quite a common trait wherever you are, unfortunately. Most of the Swedes I know are quick to defend the relaxed Swedish approach the moment it gets any criticism, even though it's liable to lead to pretty bad per capita outcomes, especially in the cities. Fortunately my uncle over there, who's undergoing cancer treatment and thus at risk, is also a healthy cynic and is now safely holed up in his retirement apartment for the duration with several cases of Brown Ale and his collection of NUFC season review videos. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Rayvin said:

He's on holiday again??

Has he actually done any work this year?

I was inferring he might’ve been milking it with regard to his illness ;)

• Haha 3

Aye, it’s horrendously bad even if the figures weren’t being massaged. Over 10% of the officially recorded world wide deaths in the UK. I know that global figure won’t be accurate and I’m sceptical to say the least about the Chinese numbers, but it’s still an absolute disgrace. 

Someone I know - NHS worker, Newcastle-based - has had persistent mild symptoms. They tested negative some time back but are concerned it was a false negative. They’ve had no joy trying to get another one through work so they checked the new government website to arrange one themselves. The nearest test they could get is in Penrith. If that’s the experience of a key worker in the NHS the perhaps the tests aren’t as readily available as you might be led to believe. 

• Jaysus... 1

2 hours ago, Anorthernsoul said:

Interesting to see Sweden's outlook, no surprise they have the biggest infection rate in Scandinavia.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-52395866

Yeah, it's an interesting thought experiment in a way (if you can get beyond the human aspect and see it with some distance) - how far do you take the "we still have plenty of hospital capacity so we're keeping things relaxed" argument before it becomes inhumane? Or, conversely, do we need the "protect the NHS" message in this country for us to respect the lockdown because we wouldn't be as receptive to "help us to flatten the curve even though we can technically deal with what's happening"?

I see some Tory MPs want the lockdown eased according to news reports. Do they need to be personally impacted by this to see the bigger picture? Fucking cunts 

7 minutes ago, Alex said:

I see some Tory MPs want the lockdown eased according to news reports. Do they need to be personally impacted by this to see the bigger picture? Fucking cunts 

It wasn't so much the MPs as Tory 'grandees' which according to the Sunday Times is basically anyone who has donated money to them. And you know their hearts will be in the right place.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So the UK went into lockdown over a month ago yet yesterday we saw an increase of around 4,500 new cases.

Is the government doing any work to find out how the virus is continuing to spread? Are there certain behaviours causing this? Certain jobs? Are there many cases coming from non-essential workers who are still in the workplace?

17 minutes ago, ewerk said:

So the UK went into lockdown over a month ago yet yesterday we saw an increase of around 4,500 new cases.

Is the government doing any work to find out how the virus is continuing to spread? Are there certain behaviours causing this? Certain jobs? Are there many cases coming from non-essential workers who are still in the workplace?

10 minutes ago, Ant said:

The amount of people who think it will still be OK to go on holiday in July if Spain etc reopens is staggering as well. 

It'll be those kind of idiots that will kick this all of again, I don't see how that level of mass travel  can happen again before there is a widely available vaccine

Aye

The lockdown (If you can ever call it that) has already started to ease.  Homebase near me yesterday by the looks on FB photos was packed.  It did have social distance measures, but a friend was in there for 3h.  Why?  So he can get the stuff to finish off his raised planter.  Fuck me.

33 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Might be simply due to more testing. 

I was talking to someone at work who was naively asking why people were still getting infected as surely everybody apart from key workers were at home so I set him right about how many non-nice middle class work from home jobs there are where people are still working. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Ant said:

The amount of people who think it will still be OK to go on holiday in July if Spain etc reopens is staggering as well. 

It'll be those kind of idiots that will kick this all of again, I don't see how that level of mass travel  can happen again before there is a widely available vaccine

I don't think they consider even sitting on a plane never mind all the other issues. 

Greece are looking at guidelines for tourism more in hope than anything else. 

4 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Aye

The lockdown (If you can ever call it that) has already started to ease.  Homebase near me yesterday by the looks on FB photos was packed.  It did have social distance measures, but a friend was in there for 3h.  Why?  So he can get the stuff to finish off his raised planter.  Fuck me.

I know a lass who works near B&Q in the west end of Newcastle and apparently it was heaving yesterday. I’m struggling to work out why it’s essential these places are open like (I’m not really). 

• Like 1

BBC are pressing now on our strategy at the start of this.  Interesting that they're now starting to get frustrated by this.

Don't worry Cuntsberg will soon be back sucking Bozo's dick

• Like 2