Coronavirus

Anorthernsoul

We've got staff/managers walking around our place, (Think Graeber's 'bullshit jobs') enforcing* the 2m rules, thinking of ways to get around stuff, staggering starting times etc but you can't always work like that for 12 hours, it's impossible. If it's that vital we keep apart we wouldn't be in there, but we're not nice middle class work from home types so they're not going to pay us to do nothing. My place is a funny one, technically we are key workers as we are in food production, but as it's confectionery you kind of think, well, y'knaa.... :lol: ..... there's usually hand wringing around sugar taxes, healthy living, obesity, doom and gloom scenarios but now we're 'feeding the nation'. :unsure:

*Could lead to disciplinaries if someone is caught more than once.

Edited by Howmanheyman
  • Like 2

I don't know if we can say yet that it's working. Labour have been totally silent so far and that makes me feel like this just isn't the time for informed criticism still. The inquiry will be the thing to go after, and honestly it'll be more damaging further into the electoral cycle anyway.

Let's see where we are in 12 months time on this.

As a worrying point though, if we're exiting this now then I suspect we will march onward with Brexit.

Just now, Rayvin said:

I don't know if we can say yet that it's working. Labour have been totally silent so far and that makes me feel like this just isn't the time for informed criticism still. The inquiry will be the thing to go after, and honestly it'll be more damaging further into the electoral cycle anyway.

Let's see where we are in 12 months time on this.

As a worrying point though, if we're exiting this now then I suspect we will march onward with Brexit.

Inquiries change absolutely fuck all and have one thing in common:

Aberfan

Herald of Free Enterprise.

Chilcott

Hillsborough

Bloody Sunday

Grenfell

Much hand-wringing, absolutely no justice.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, NJS said:

Inquiries change absolutely fuck all and have one thing in common:

Aberfan

Herald of Free Enterprise.

Chilcott

Hillsborough

Bloody Sunday

Grenfell

Much hand-wringing, absolutely no justice.

I'm guessing Rayvin means the possible impact on a GE. Honestly, I expect Starmer will utterly rinse Johnson if he is still PM by then (I don't think he will be actually), but its 4 and a 1/2 years away so frankly I don't even care. There'll be nothing left of the country by then. 

4 hours ago, wykikitoon said:

Aye

The lockdown (If you can ever call it that) has already started to ease.  Homebase near me yesterday by the looks on FB photos was packed.  It did have social distance measures, but a friend was in there for 3h.  Why?  So he can get the stuff to finish off his raised planter.  Fuck me.

B & Q across the country has seen mile long queues. Idiots going for nothing essential just purely to quell their boredom.

4 minutes ago, Alex said:

It’s really surprising though. They simply shouldn’t be allowed to open

I think hardware stores were in the original exempt list, and we all know that once the Tories make a choice, there’s no changing it. 

8 minutes ago, Alex said:

It’s really surprising though. They simply shouldn’t be allowed to open

Aye, like MF hardware stores were allowed to open.

But cunts going for bedding plants.  Get the fuck off.

You can queue for a takeaway coffee but you can't go for walk with a friend at two metres' distance and have a chat while you drink it. Spend spend spend but fuck your mental health. :good: 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Monkeys Fist said:

I think hardware stores were in the original exempt list, and we all know that once the Tories make a choice, there’s no changing it. 

I get why hardware stores should remain open but most of the stuff in these huge warehouse places is non-essential stuff like garden furniture 

• Like 1

I’d rather poke mesel in the eye with a shitty stick than go to B&Q at the best of times but you can picture people queuing for hours to get in and buy a couple of tins of Cuprinol 

12 minutes ago, Alex said:

I’d rather poke mesel in the eye with a shitty stick than go to B&Q at the best of times but you can picture people queuing for hours to get in and buy a couple of tins of Cuprinol 

It’s not a bad thing, so long as the people queuing up to get into B&Q end up drinking the Cuprinol.

• Haha 1

Had an argument with my mum (I'm posh) next door. She's taking the piss, going out the house several times a day and going to local shops, despite being high risk, my Dad being very high risk, and my sister living there who is highest risk (supposed to be shielded). I'm pissed off cos I'm thinking why am I going to such lengths to do supermarket shops when she's putting them all at risk anyway but also, fuck it, I literally only leave the house 3 times a week for exercise  (I'm working stupid hours the other 4 days), not because of risk, but because I believe in societal responsibility and it would be a disasterif everybody did this. Something my parents have drummed into me all my life but now seemingly completely forgotten. Not a lot I can do i guess. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

I visited the Nightingale hospital today. Struggled to get my head around how they’ve managed to retrofit a warehouse into a full functional hospital in 3 weeks 

Where is it? 

1 hour ago, Meenzer said:

You can queue for a takeaway coffee but you can't go for walk with a friend at two metres' distance and have a chat while you drink it. Spend spend spend but fuck your mental health. :good: 

Capitalism is a disease. And here was me thinking that this might speed up its demise. Still naive after all these years.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Renton said:

Had an argument with my mum (I'm posh) next door. She's taking the piss, going out the house several times a day and going to local shops, despite being high risk, my Dad being very high risk, and my sister living there who is highest risk (supposed to be shielded). I'm pissed off cos I'm thinking why am I going to such lengths to do supermarket shops when she's putting them all at risk anyway but also, fuck it, I literally only leave the house 3 times a week for exercise  (I'm working stupid hours the other 4 days), not because of risk, but because I believe in societal responsibility and it would be a disasterif everybody did this. Something my parents have drummed into me all my life but now seemingly completely forgotten. Not a lot I can do i guess. 

My brothers in laws are doing similar.  Popping to different shops several times a day for 'bits' absolutely thick as mince