Coronavirus

Anorthernsoul

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/responding-to-a-uk-flu-pandemic

Turns out we produced an evidenced based strategy to this type of event 9 years ago. We are sticking to it. This isn’t a strategy being thought up on the fly. Check out page 39 for info on why football hasn’t been cancelled and schools haven’t been closed just yet 

Edited by Kid Dynamite

8 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Turns out we produced an evidenced based strategy to this type of event 9 years ago. We are sticking to it. This isn’t a strategy being thought up on the fly. Check out page 39 for info on why football hasn’t been cancelled and schools haven’t been closed just yet 

Fair enough, let's not bother coming up with a new plan when we have an old one on the shelf from nearly ten years ago for a different illness and ignore the fact that this illness is much more contagious and deadly.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kid Dynamite said:

I think the failure with the strategy is it treats people as numbers rather than human beings. If the government levelled with people, they would do whatever it takes to slow this thing down.

We didn’t carry on with life as usual during the blitz ffs. Measures were put in place that impacted our freedoms and people accepted it because it was more attractive than death. I know we all like going to the pub, present company excepted, but it can wait until there isn’t something out there that might kill my nan

Edited by Dr Gloom

12 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Im well aware of this. But that's guidance which is 9 years out of date and for a completely different illness (big difference is flu can be vaccinated against, can be treated with antiviral drugs, and is less fatal)? But we have already loads of evidence how to control this particular outbreak known which we are ignoring? Do you see a problem?

It actually just demonstrates how inflexible we are, and that tends to be a bad thing.

Edited by Renton

With schools I assume they're trying to wait to as near the Easter holidays as possible so it's not quite as disruptive, since they'd have been off around then anyway. (Though even as a non-parent, I realise the idea of your kids being at home and it not being in some way disruptive is absurd. :D

1 hour ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

Con tain ment = 3 syllables 

de lay = 2 syllables 

3-2=1 the difference between 3 and 2 = 1

the difference between containment and delay is 1 syllable.

🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

With schools I assume they're trying to wait to as near the Easter holidays as possible so it's not quite as disruptive, since they'd have been off around then anyway. (Though even as a non-parent, I realise the idea of your kids being at home and it not being in some way disruptive is absurd. :D

Aye. With the greatest will in the world, closing schools for 3 months just isn't feasible. 50% of nurses, Drs, coppers, firemen, paramedics would be instantly off work

Edited by Kid Dynamite

4 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Aye. With the greatest will in the world, closing schools for 3 months just isn't feasible. 50% of nurses, Drs, coppers, firemen, paramedics would be instantly off work

So you keep schools open with a skeleton staff to look after the kids of key workers. It's not rocket science.

• Like 1