Coronavirus

Anorthernsoul

When did charities get so greedy? It used to be text to donate a couple of quid. Now AgeUk want you to send a text for a tenner, when we're staring down the barrel of recession-bomb (copyright daily express, 2021) and a twat load of poor cunts are on furlough

Edited by TheGingerQuiff

Went to ALDI yesterday and they've completely abandoned all pretence of prevention. Nobody on the door monitoring numbers, nobody adhering to social distancing, hardly any tills open. It's like the British Public will only stick with something for a week and then chuck it away. A nation of kids.

• Like 1
  • Jaysus... 1

3 hours ago, Billy Whitehurst said:

I was amazed at that given what I’ve seen recently. That said, pretty much everyone I know down here has been working from home for more than 2 months? It will be interesting to see what proportion of people have the antibodies once the testing gets done. 

I don't personally know anyone working from home.  

I shut down the majority of our sites right at the start of this but have been told that we are now going to start up construction again. 

Absolute headache, being asked for risk assessments etc. Apart from published guidance it’s pretty difficult to risk assess a virus, especially when we could have 30 different subbies on the same site who all have different circumstances

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Howmanheyman said:

I don't personally know anyone working from home.  

Maybe there are more desk based jobs in London so a comparatively greater portion of the workforce can work from home as their jobs are largely pointless (mine, particularly so). That might explain the lower R0.

So if everyone at London can work at home, whats the point in those expensive office skyscrapers? When this is over, will we see things moving out the capital? I don't get the advantage of conglomeration when people work remotely and communicate virtually?

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Renton said:

So if everyone at London can work at home, whats the point in those expensive office skyscrapers? When this is over, will we see things moving out the capital? I don't get the advantage of conglomeration when people work remotely and communicate virtually?

It's a mixture. Everywhere I've worked in the city have had provision for home working but I always got the impression it was to encourage out of hours work more than anything else. I've always used it when the trains have been completely screwed or when I've had deliveries or dentists appointments. 

When we moved two years ago due to running out of space they decided to introduce activity based working which meant laptops instead of pcs so you could move around depending what you were doing. Pretty much a waste of time for someone like me who doesn't have many meetings. Anyway they deliberately made the building capacity 80% of staff numbers on the premise of more home working. Of course some bosses were more flexible than others and it wasn't appropriate for client facing roles. 

In the run up to the lockdown we were told to take our laptops home every night in preparation and as it happens I was in the middle of a weeks leave when they made the call. They had to ramp up the bandwidth but since then its been fine. 

In our head cheese updates we've been told that loads of banks were caught completely cold with no provision and have had to ramp up from scratch losing business because of it. There seems to be a desire for us to return eventually but I noticed in the last update the COO did mention "months" for the first time - I think reality has struck. 

As I've mentioned before there was a hint that even when we get back there's an appetite for a lot more home working as the cost savings are obscene and they've realised there isn't a huge difference in productivity if any. 

I think there'll be a huge realignment which will see only client facing roles and businesses being 100% office based. Fuck knows what that means for property development. 

• Like 2

The only real reason most of us go to the office is to get away from our families. That is the thing I’ve been most struck by during lockdown. Working in an office is a piece of piss compared to working from home. It wouldn’t surprise me at all though if companies review how much they’re forking our on rent when it’s clear most desk jobs can be done remotely. In the post-crisis cost-cutting period it seems like pretty easy low hanging fruit. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NJS said:

It's a mixture. Everywhere I've worked in the city have had provision for home working but I always got the impression it was to encourage out of hours work more than anything else. I've always used it when the trains have been completely screwed or when I've had deliveries or dentists appointments. 

When we moved two years ago due to running out of space they decided to introduce activity based working which meant laptops instead of pcs so you could move around depending what you were doing. Pretty much a waste of time for someone like me who doesn't have many meetings. Anyway they deliberately made the building capacity 80% of staff numbers on the premise of more home working. Of course some bosses were more flexible than others and it wasn't appropriate for client facing roles. 

In the run up to the lockdown we were told to take our laptops home every night in preparation and as it happens I was in the middle of a weeks leave when they made the call. They had to ramp up the bandwidth but since then its been fine. 

In our head cheese updates we've been told that loads of banks were caught completely cold with no provision and have had to ramp up from scratch losing business because of it. There seems to be a desire for us to return eventually but I noticed in the last update the COO did mention "months" for the first time - I think reality has struck. 

As I've mentioned before there was a hint that even when we get back there's an appetite for a lot more home working as the cost savings are obscene and they've realised there isn't a huge difference in productivity if any. 

I think there'll be a huge realignment which will see only client facing roles and businesses being 100% office based. Fuck knows what that means for property development. 

Yeah, I think this will happen all over. My wife has been wfh since it began and her work have decided to operate at minimal levels from now on. Their planned moved to bigger, new office space is cancelled. Fuck knows what the point of city centres will be with a ruined high street, massive reductions in office space, and social distancing ruining leisure. Not to mention transport issues. 

My fella's work were already fine with people doing one day a week from home, because they're based practically on the Essex borders and they're aware the commute is a ballache, but similarly to the above, I've no doubt they'll be shifting even more in that direction after all this. They already had hotdesking (even though no one likes it and it's been shown to be counterproductive in many respects) and they surely won't be the only organisation going even more down that route to save on overheads.

Mind, having to share my home office more days than not going forward might make me look for something office-based... :lol: 

5 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

The only real reason most of us go to the office is to get away from our families. That is the thing I’ve been most struck by during lockdown. Working in an office is a piece of piss compared to working from home. It wouldn’t surprise me at all though if companies review how much they’re forking our on rent when it’s clear most desk jobs can be done remotely. In the post-crisis cost-cutting period it seems like pretty easy low hanging fruit. 

Kids will be back in school shortly enough. Problem solved. 

1 minute ago, Meenzer said:

My fella's work were already fine with people doing one day a week from home, because they're based practically on the Essex borders and they're aware the commute is a ballache, but similarly to the above, I've no doubt they'll be shifting even more in that direction after all this. They already had hotdesking (even though no one likes it and it's been shown to be counterproductive in many respects) and they won't be the only organisation going even more down that route to save on overheads, I reckon.

Mind, having to share my home office more days than not going forward might make me look for something office-based... :lol: 

I've seen some fractious background action on teams where people are at home with partners. 

1 minute ago, Meenzer said:

My fella's work were already fine with people doing one day a week from home, because they're based practically on the Essex borders and they're aware the commute is a ballache, but similarly to the above, I've no doubt they'll be shifting even more in that direction after all this. They already had hotdesking (even though no one likes it and it's been shown to be counterproductive in many respects) and they won't be the only organisation going even more down that route to save on overheads, I reckon.

As Gloom alluded to, you need a demarcation between work and family. Or maybe you don't, we're just conditioned that way. Or maybe you do, hunter gatherer thing. Fuck knows. Nothing seems to get bettter mind in any case. 

19 minutes ago, Renton said:

Kids will be back in school shortly enough. Problem solved. 

If that is the case, and I still doubt they will return in June, we may as well all go back as kids will spread it far and wide again. My company has said we won’t return before autumn. I’m tempted to keep the kids home even if we’re told to send them back to school 

Edited by Dr Gloom

Aye, most of the parents I know seem to be thinking along the same lines (though whether they'll go through with it when push comes to shove, I don't know). I think I'd be saying similar. It's not like much schoolwork tends to get done in the back end of the summer term anyway. :lol: 

9 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Both my kids’ schools have made it fairly clear not to expect them to open before summer. 

I can see conflict between the govt. and teaching unions on its way. 

14870fbef1993d4938153fb0180c1652.png

• Like 3