Coronavirus

Anorthernsoul

36 minutes ago, NJS said:

Just by second hand accounts I wouldn't trust self-administered home test results. 

Me either. But they were just sent out so the government could meet (or get close to) their ‘audacious’ target more than anything else. 

• Like 1

Las Iguanas, Cafe Rouge, Bella Italia filing for administration. I know these are only chains but apart from the inevitable job losses I find this quite sad. How many restaurants and pubs, independent or not, are going to survive this? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Renton said:

Las Iguanas, Cafe Rouge, Bella Italia filing for administration. I know these are only chains but apart from the inevitable job losses I find this quite sad. How many restaurants and pubs, independent or not, are going to survive this? 

People sitting on cash are going to be laughing when all these prime locations become available. 

1 hour ago, Monkeys Fist said:

I liked the “recovery area” - Park & Puke. :lol:

I never seen that but I nearly puked all over the car when the swab was in my throat.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Renton said:

A lot of the smaller, independent brewers and food places up here were pretty quick in setting themselves up for takeaway/delivery- they’ll definitely have suffered a drop in revenue but hopefully they’ve made enough to keep going. 

It’d be a huge loss to see the likes of the Free Trade and The Cluny etc closing as a result of this. 

39 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

A lot of the smaller, independent brewers and food places up here were pretty quick in setting themselves up for takeaway/delivery- they’ll definitely have suffered a drop in revenue but hopefully they’ve made enough to keep going. 

It’d be a huge loss to see the likes of the Free Trade and The Cluny etc closing as a result of this. 

Ahh shit, don't say that man. Admittedly I never get to these places anyway any more but how shit will life be without them? I bet wetherspoons will be okay. :mad:

Where possible I wonder how many can open up with social distancing? The council can give them access to adjacent land for beer gardens. In Tynemouth I'd like to see Front street pedestrianised. Grey street should be in Newcastle,  as much space as is practicable. The quayside. Not going to help much on winter mind. 

1 hour ago, Renton said:

Fingers crossed re: Weatherspoon’s 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Renton said:

Ahh shit, don't say that man. Admittedly I never get to these places anyway any more but how shit will life be without them? I bet wetherspoons will be okay. :mad:

Where possible I wonder how many can open up with social distancing? The council can give them access to adjacent land for beer gardens. In Tynemouth I'd like to see Front street pedestrianised. Grey street should be in Newcastle,  as much space as is practicable. The quayside. Not going to help much on winter mind. 

I think the Free Trade and it’s compatriots will be ok, just- they seem to have enough people through online support, willing to buy their beers to takeaway to see them through. 
I totally agree with you about pedestrianising areas like Front St, Grey St etc. 
I posted a link to a BBC article on here the other day which said that’s the plan for the city centre. 
If North Tyneside don’t follow suit at the coast I’d be very surprised. 

I know two couples who own small independent pubs/bars here in Manchester. One has started doing delivery the other hasn’t. 

If the 2m distancing is long term they would only be allowed about 10 people in at one time, doubt they could operate under those conditions. 

Hopefully weatherspoons goes the journey as well. 

• Like 1

Aye, don’t get me wrong, I think the small indie places are still very perilous as far as surviving this goes, but they seem to have responded to the challenge very well. 
The Free Trade, for example, were instrumental in setting up a “buy now eat later” voucher system for the street food vendors who come to their pub on a regular basis- all whilst they themselves were struggling to see how they’d survive.  
That kind of attitude fosters a very sound community spirit between the businesses and the punters, which I’m not seeing from the larger businesses. 
Still no guarantees though. 

• Like 3

was supposed to be going to a friend's wedding in july in spain, which was obviously cancelled. he's now talking about rescheduling it in the uk for september. i can't help but think he's being massively optimistic. even if there isn't still a ban on mass gatherings there is surely still going to be social distancing. can't imagine a wedding with face masks and 2m distancing being much fun

26 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

was supposed to be going to a friend's wedding in july in spain, which was obviously cancelled. he's now talking about rescheduling it in the uk for september. i can't help but think he's being massively optimistic. even if there isn't still a ban on mass gatherings there is surely still going to be social distancing. can't imagine a wedding with face masks and 2m distancing being much fun

I think groups will probably be allowed by then, possibly not big enough for an average wedding party though. How many guests are they having? 

10 minutes ago, Renton said:

I think groups will probably be allowed by then, possibly not big enough for an average wedding party though. How many guests are they having? 

not sure - it was around 80 when they were doing it in spain. the mrs isn't thrilled at the idea. i'm best man so can't really not go. 

i said look love, it's wedding season, yeah? just think of the english tapas you'll be missing 

• Haha 2