Coronavirus

Anorthernsoul

45 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

From the minute it all went tits up you should have left everything where it is. Fast forward to your actual retirement date and what is happening now is going to be irrelevant. You can't beat the market, just leave it where it is and it'll recover in time.

Obviously your dad is closer to retirement but he should do the same, ie do nothing. 

I have up until now, I was in the black rock and gold thing pre-carona. My hypothesis is it's performed so well because it's invested in things like mining companies and anything linked to gold does well in bad times. Surely I don't want to leave half of my pension in such a high risk fund forever though? I want an exit strategy to somewhere safer but I just don't know when. 

Edit it's just an old one that I thought I'd play about with to see if I could make some money. I leave managing my current one to the pros.

Edited by TheGingerQuiff

12 minutes ago, ewerk said:

I see the founder of the clap for the careers has called for it to finish.

Not before time.

An estate in my town began it by going out and clapping, then it was fireworks, then it was having a few drinks with the neighbours. Last week they had a drag act putting on a show and last night culminated in the entire estate doing rock the boat together. At least 150 people on the road up against one another.

The stupidity of it angers me.

I'd love to know where they got the notion, tbh?

• Haha 6

4 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

I have up until now, I was in the black rock and gold thing pre-carona. My hypothesis is it's performed so well because it's invested in things like mining companies and anything linked to gold does well in bad times. Surely I don't want to leave half of my pension in such a high risk fund forever though? I want an exit strategy to somewhere safer but I just don't know when. 

Edit it's just an old one that I thought I'd play about with to see if I could make some money. I leave managing my current one to the pros.

I mean I'm not a financial advisor so I can't really help you. Long term the markets are gonna bounce back. They have from every other bad thing that's happened in the past and this will be no exception. There's something to be said for piling in money in at a point like now but whether that applies to you in terms of pulling out of the current fund and getting it into a global equity fund or something, I don't know. 

What I would say though is pissing about trying to make money in the markets is a mug's game. Even these superstar traders eventually fall back behind the market. The smart play is ALWAYS to just put your money in a tracker fund and leave it there, because everything else you try will do worse in the long run. 

16 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

I mean I'm not a financial advisor so I can't really help you. Long term the markets are gonna bounce back. They have from every other bad thing that's happened in the past and this will be no exception. There's something to be said for piling in money in at a point like now but whether that applies to you in terms of pulling out of the current fund and getting it into a global equity fund or something, I don't know. 

What I would say though is pissing about trying to make money in the markets is a mug's game. Even these superstar traders eventually fall back behind the market. The smart play is ALWAYS to just put your money in a tracker fund and leave it there, because everything else you try will do worse in the long run. 

NOW he fucking tells you?

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

It's not really a big enough fund where if it tanks it's ruin my retirement or anything. I've essentially been inadvertently astute and seen it go up around 4k whilst everyone else's (and my other pensions) seems to have gone to temporary shit. Moving it back to a tracker fund is the move but should I do it now whilst I'm ahead or will the upcoming mega-recession wipe out my gains? I think I'm erring on moving half (a quarter,  essentially) to a 'safer' fund and leaving the risky one. Will keep you all posted and charge a fee for future advice is if I come up smelling of roses :nufc:

If you take it out of the current fund and put it in a tracker, the question of whether any recession will cost you your short term gains is irrelevant because pension funds aren't a short term game. The question is whether the value of the fund will be higher in 30 years or whatever (it will).

The point I'm trying to make is stop playing the market for short term gains with your pension fund. I haven't looked at my pension once during this whole thing because I'm not about to retire, so what my pension fund is doing right now (it'll be in the shitter like everyone else's) is immaterial. 

50 minutes ago, ewerk said:

I see the founder of the clap for the careers has called for it to finish.

Not before time.

An estate in my town began it by going out and clapping, then it was fireworks, then it was having a few drinks with the neighbours. Last week they had a drag act putting on a show and last night culminated in the entire estate doing rock the boat together. At least 150 people on the road up against one another.

The stupidity of it angers me.

:lol: Whereas it's been on the wane around here (not that it was ever anything more than a few people clapping while awkwardly acknowledging each other's existence for the first time ever, London being London). We're still out on the doorstep every Thursday even though it means we miss the first few minutes of that evening's rewatch of an old Eurovision. I reckon that makes us easily as dedicated as any key worker.

• Haha 1

Is anyone sending their kids back after half term? I’m fucked if I am, as much as I’d love the peace and quiet. 

My little girl is in reception but her school just sent some information on what life back will be like for the children and it sounds like prison for kids. How they expect 4-5 year olds to social distance is beyond me. Plus they will be greeted every day by their new head teacher, who they haven’t met yet, wearing a mask and pointing a gun at them to test their temperature. 

I think we need to accept that 4 and 5 year olds won’t be able to social distance. I don’t want to drop her at school to be met by a man she doesn’t know wearing a big plastic mask to point a machine at her head before telling her not to go near anyone until we pick her up again several hours later

I just don’t understand the rush. When the r rate is falling, track and trace is up and running and we aren’t still recording hundreds of new deaths every day - and when her school no longer sounds like junior Alcatraz - I’ll think again. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Is anyone sending their kids back after half term? I’m fucked if I am, as much as I’d love the peace and quiet. 

My little girl is in reception but her school just sent some information on what life back will be like for the children and it sounds like prison for kids. How they expect 4-5 year olds to social distance is beyond me. Plus they will be greeted every day by their new head teacher, who they haven’t met yet, wearing a mask and pointing a gun at them to test their temperature. 

I think we need to accept that 4 and 5 year olds won’t be able to social distance. I don’t want to drop her at school to be met by a man she doesn’t know wearing a big plastic mask to point a machine at her head before telling her not to go near anyone until we pick her up again several hours later

I just don’t understand the rush. When the r rate is falling, track and trace is up and running and we aren’t still recording hundreds of new deaths every day - and when her school no longer sounds like junior Alcatraz - I’ll think again. 

My kids have been at school throughout, haven't had much choice. I think it's been good for them on balance, helped them keep some semblance of childhood sociability. They have told me they would rather go to school. Year 2 and 4 btw.

Having said that, the teachers haven't worn PPE and no temperature have been taken, the classes have been half a dozen kids at most, and they haven't been educated unless they want to be (oldest one has, little one is a lazy shit). 

London is now apparently down to near zero transmission, and young kids are not badly affected. I'm not clear what your problem is with having different teachers or the use of PPE tbh, this stuff keeps the R down and might be here for a while. Kids can adapt to it.

But on the flip side, are you not concerned by the negatives of them not going to school, from their perspective? Do you think they will be able to adapt okay in September, possibly with the same conditions, after 6 months absence? Honestly,  of I were in London, I'd send them in on balance.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Renton said:

My kids have been at school throughout, haven't had much choice. I think it's been good for them on balance, helped them keep some semblance of childhood sociability. They have told me they would rather go to school. Year 2 and 4 btw.

Having said that, the teachers haven't worn PPE and no temperature have been taken, the classes have been half a dozen kids at most, and they haven't been educated unless they want to be (oldest one has, little one is a lazy shit). 

London is now apparently down to near zero transmission, and young kids are not badly affected. I'm not clear what your problem is with having different teachers or the use of PPE tbh, this stuff keeps the R down and might be here for a while. Kids can adapt to it.

But on the flip side, are you not concerned by the negatives of them not going to school, from their perspective? Do you think they will be able to adapt okay in September, possibly with the same conditions, after 6 months absence? Honestly,  of I were in London, I'd send them in on balance.

My boy is in year 4 and will be home with us anyway. My little girl is quite tactile and needs an arm around her if she falls over and hurts herself, likes to hold her teacher’s hand etc, which she won’t get now at school. 

She wants to play physically with other children. Reception is more about learning through play, sitting together on the carpet - they barely sit around a desk, let alone on their own. I just can’t see how it will work for 4-5 year olds. 

It’s going to be a bizarre experience for her. The numbers are moving in the right direction finally but I think it’d be less unsettling for her to keep her at home too, for now, and for me, at least until track and trace is up and running. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

My boy is in year 4 and will be home with us anyway. My little girl is quite tactile and needs an arm around her if she falls over and hurts herself, likes to hold her teacher’s hand etc, which she won’t get now at school. 

She wants to play physically with other children. Reception is more about learning through play, sitting together on the carpet - they barely sit around a desk, let alone on their own. I just can’t see how it will work for 4-5 year olds. 

It’s going to be a bizarre experience for her. The numbers are moving in the right direction finally but I think it’d be less unsettling for her to keep her at home too, for now, and for me, at least until track and trace is up and running. 

Well in those circumstances I'd agree, little to be gained sending a reception year kid in, especially when the older one isn't.  Tbh there doesn't seem to be any rythme or reason to the year groups supposed to be going in, and apparently it wasn't even an option SAGE suggested.  Let's hope things are clearer after the summer. 

EDIT: Year 6 going in is a nonsense for us too, as we have a middle school system here. Year 4 should be prioritised . 

Edited by Renton

1 minute ago, ewerk said:

I don’t think this was within the guidelines at the time but that doesn’t stop the Tory cheerleader from doing Cummings’ defence for him.

I mean, I know what a horrible Tory cunt she is but fuck me gently. How does a journalist in all conscience report something like that? It’s not like she’s looked at the guidance then and interpreted it and decided he didn’t break the rules. She’s stating the source says it was within the guidelines. Apart from the fact it wasn’t anyone with half a clue know the number 10 source is Cummings

News released at 8pm on the Friday night of a bank holiday weekend just before a two week parliamentary recess. They’ve been told they can have the story but also been told they can only run it when there can be no parliamentary scrutiny of it before the client media news cycle moves on. Johnson isn’t being linked in any way for appointing this fuckin wanker in the first place so  I’d be a lot more surprised If Cummings was sacked than the fact that he drove to Durham whilst he should’ve been self isolating for 14 days.

Edited by PaddockLad
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Alex said:

I mean, I know what a horrible Tory cunt she is but fuck me gently. How does a journalist in all conscience report something like that? It’s not like she’s looked at the guidance then and interpreted it and decided he didn’t break the rules. She’s stating the source says it was within the guidelines. Apart from the fact it wasn’t anyone with half a clue know the number 10 source is Cummings

I’m not one for the BBC institutional bias theories but this has been embarrassing from Kuenssberg for a while now. Mindlessly parroting unnamed government sources should be beneath any journalist let alone the BBC’s political editor.

• Like 2

BBC news currently making a big deal about whether people will be able to go abroad on holiday this summer. Ffs