Coronavirus

Anorthernsoul

20 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Cummings must have some serious shit on Johnson

It’s as much about Johnson as it is Cummings.

Johnson has always been fiercely loyal to his aides.

He has finally got the job he always coveted. Not one he deserved or worked for but one he believed he was destined for. He hasn’t worked for it, it has fallen into his lap as part of the wider dumbing down of politics. He’s is bone idle working short hours, refusing to read anything but short papers and taking regular holidays.

He also hates scrutiny. As foreign secretary he appeared before committee and parliament as little as possible. As Prime Minister he must’ve appeared before parliament and the public as little as any PM in recent history. He sees parliamentary committees as beneath him.

He’s the worst PM we could have hoped for at the worst possible time.

• Like 4

Just reading some of the comments from the Mail readers, they're up in arms too. As was said earlier, this really is unifying across left and right. Cummings is an arsehole and Johnson is a craven leech.

But the interesting thing for me here is that this issue is the first thing that has outraged the British public to the point of standing down from Remainer/Leaver, Left/Right. And this is great for our side of this ultimately, as many uninterested observers and Brexit voters don't seem to appreciate how crucial Cummings actually is to Johnson. It's like they believe that Johnson himself is the mastermind. So they haven't quite seen the harm they're doing to their side of the divide by turning on Cummings now. If this had happened a year ago, Brexit might have been dead.

I think it'll come down to whether the outrage is enough to take down Johnson and Cummings together. In effect that's what Johnson is saying it'll have to be. I don't think it'll be enough for that, but when the next scandal comes (and it will), that might be enough. I am convinced that the 1922 committee will be concerned now.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Rayvin said:

Just reading some of the comments from the Mail readers, they're up in arms too. As was said earlier, this really is unifying across left and right. Cummings is an arsehole and Johnson is a craven leech.

But the interesting thing for me here is that this issue is the first thing that has outraged the British public to the point of standing down from Remainer/Leaver, Left/Right. And this is great for our side of this ultimately, as many uninterested observers and Brexit voters don't seem to appreciate how crucial Cummings actually is to Johnson. It's like they believe that Johnson himself is the mastermind. So they haven't quite seen the harm they're doing to their side of the divide by turning on Cummings now. If this had happened a year ago, Brexit might have been dead.

I think it'll come down to whether the outrage is enough to take down Johnson and Cummings together. In effect that's what Johnson is saying it'll have to be. I don't think it'll be enough for that, but when the next scandal comes (and it will), that might be enough. I am convinced that the 1922 committee will be concerned now.

Like I said earlier Johnson was going to announce relaxed measures on lockdown i.e Garden parties etc this week anyway, he'll do it tomorrow to try and save face but it's too late for many and rightly so. Any thinly veiled confidence is lost.