Coronavirus

Anorthernsoul

25 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

Not that I go to pubs much these days anyway (which is one reason the "life's back to normal everyone, pubs and shops are back!" narrative from on high is quite galling - give me running events and non-essential rail travel and off-West-End experimental musical theatre and then we can talk, dahling), but I definitely don't feel any great urge to go to an indoor pub or restaurant setting for as long as very visible precautions need to be in place. I'm sure some people are capable of switching off that part of their brain and enjoying themselves regardless, but I'm not. :lol:  It's not even about the actual risk really - having a takeaway round at a friend's house is probably just as "bad" - it's the quality of the experience.

Yeah, that's what I meant, the experience is just shit. Beer gardens are the same as before though, in fact some have waitress service which is better. Unfortunately we only get 11 days of summer in NE England of course. 

1 minute ago, ewerk said:

I wasn't suggesting it would all be rosy as soon as the pubs opened. Give it a few months. 

In a few months time we'll be back in lockdown by the looks of things, with Brexit to deal with on top. As I said, oh fuck. 

17 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

At what point is the Queen allowed to ride in to parliament on a corgi and send them all to the Tower?

(And if you think that’s ridiculous, you haven’t been paying attention) 

she's not bothered I reckon. she's allowed our government to engage in the pretty shambolic brexit discussions, and make a sham of preparing for covid.

If only we were an island and had had the benefit of weeks of advance notice of what was coming, back then a hard lockdown for 4-5 weeks and it'd all have been over weeks/months ago, there'd be crowds at the football and 5 deep at the bar etc. and a quick economic bounce back.

We would of course have missed the opportunity to cull a good number of the old, poor and ailing, which from the twat governments perspective would have been a major issue.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Renton said:

Aye, no V shaped recovery likely @ewerk.

Also in the guardian some experts are predicting another 120,000 deaths this winter  Fuck. 

"Reasonable worst case scenario". Which I know is pretty much your baseline outlook on life, but come on... :lol:

51 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

If only we were an island and had had the benefit of weeks of advance notice of what was coming, back then a hard lockdown for 4-5 weeks and it'd all have been over weeks/months ago, there'd be crowds at the football and 5 deep at the bar etc. and a quick economic bounce back.

We would of course have missed the opportunity to cull a good number of the old, poor and ailing, which from the twat governments perspective would have been a major issue.

Agree with the first bit and the ridiculous inertia of those in charge. The second bit suggests a level of competence (for want of a better word) and planning that’s simply not there with this government. They’ve absolutely winged it from day one. Add in a liberal dollop of we know better than the rest of the world and you have the absolute shitstorm that looks like it’s going to rage on for a good while yet. 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

"Reasonable worst case scenario". Which I know is pretty much your baseline outlook on life, but come on... :lol:

It's canny funny though. Brexit and covid have so far turned up much worse than I feared was possible, so my baseline outlook was actually way too optimistic I suppose?

Being optimistic might make you feel better, but actually really doesn't change reality. In fact, I'd say that Johnson's bombastic attitude with accompanying empty slogans is a big part of the problem. 

9 minutes ago, Renton said:

What have these right wing nutters, both here and the US, got against face masks?

Because it involves doing something for the greater good of society, it's anathema to them.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Alex said:

Because that’s the reason never to vote for them again :lol: 

I found the cunt on twitter who's chopped his card up. He's spent the last few months moaning about going into lockdown as well. So he's watched the govt build a pile of corpses by doing nothing, went mental when they finally slowed down the rate of deaths, and now they're looking to belatedly reduce transmission, it's all got too much for him. Cunt. 

• Like 1