Coronavirus

Anorthernsoul

Retailers will be making a fortune right now. But when all these hoarders are stocked up to their content, they will be quiet. Pubs, restaurants,  not so much. The economic fall out is scary. I do feel sorry for a lot of small businesses. 

2 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

I just joined them after much deliberation. Getting cabin fever after just a few days at home with the kids.

As for your last point, I think it’s only a matter of time until the government take that decision for us. 

Other governments have closed bars and restaurants.  To me it makes sense.

BTW  I have just been to Sainsburys near me and it was busy but still plenty on the shelves.

10 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

BTW  I have just been to Sainsburys near me and it was busy but still plenty on the shelves.

Aye, the Asda by here was fine just now - none of the stuff that's out everywhere (pasta, bog roll etc.) but otherwise all right. Busier than usual but not much panic/rudeness. Mind you, this is London so it'd be hard to tell the difference.

Popped into the corner shop just up the road first to buy the things I knew they'd have & there was another customer in there marvelling at how many chick peas they had in stock. :lol:  The owner gave him some bone-dry line about Sri Lankans having their own secret supply chains. He's a good bloke.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, PaddockLad said:

Just wandered down to the local street corner type co-op. Lad behind the counter says they've had no bog roll for a week :lol:

Might have to return to the old childhood emergency bog roll, Doc leaves. Also come in handy if I get a nettle sting while I'm there.

• Haha 3

Couldn’t even get any flour round or way to make bread let alone the strong bread flour I needed for pizza. I took a punt at the Indian place and brought back some chapati flour. I’m looking at some strange-ass pizzas 

8 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Couldn’t even get any flour round or way to make bread let alone the strong bread flour I needed for pizza. I took a punt at the Indian place and brought back some chapati flour. I’m looking at some strange-ass pizzas 

This has made me think, I wonder how much of the panic-buying is from people who don't actually know how to cook, by which I mean do things like find alternative ingredients like you describe or rustle something up from what's available to them.

This is not an endorsement of CT's logic-mangling substitution policy, just a general observation. :lol: 

14 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

This has made me think, I wonder how much of the panic-buying is from people who don't actually know how to cook, by which I mean do things like find alternative ingredients like you describe or rustle something up from what's available to them.

This is not an endorsement of CT's logic-mangling substitution policy, just a general observation. :lol: 

Plenty of gluten free flour still available but I’ve got some cardboard in the recycling bin which I’d use first