Coronavirus

Anorthernsoul

1 hour ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Got to get the pubs packed for the match to squeeze all the money you can out of everyone

This virus has been designed to target places without a till 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

One of my workers is on holiday in Greece. On Monday the island he was on got added to the quarantine list. He tried to fly back early but flights were were 900 quid each. Instead he got a boat to mainland Greece on Monday and arranged a flight from a non quarantined area. So he arrives back on Thursday but I can't work out whether by the rules he has to quarantine or not. Waiting for the compliance dept to let me know. 

5 minutes ago, spongebob toonpants said:

One of my workers is on holiday in Greece. On Monday the island he was on got added to the quarantine list. He tried to fly back early but flights were were 900 quid each. Instead he got a boat to mainland Greece on Monday and arranged a flight from a non quarantined area. So he arrives back on Thursday but I can't work out whether by the rules he has to quarantine or not. Waiting for the compliance dept to let me know. 

I’d have thought that if he’s been to one of the “infected” areas, it doesn’t matter where he then flys from to return home? 
That’s the point of the quarantine? 
( It does illustrate the utter shiteness of this Govt’s whole response though- how many people with the virus will have done the same, spreading it within Greece first, then back here?) 

2 hours ago, Alex said:

Does anyone know what the current restrictions are anyway? Fucked if I do. I’ve been pretty careful but it seems like most people have gone back to normal. Also, you can’t meet more than 6 people but you can spend 4 hours on a flight to Turkey with 200 others. I expect the pubs are staying open too? Honestly, you couldn’t make this shit up 

Aye exactly. As far as I can see, the new rules mean it’s fine to go to the pub or back to an open plan office, surrounded by hundreds of people but you can’t take your kids around to see your parents. People will rightly ignore it 

13 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

I’d have thought that if he’s been to one of the “infected” areas, it doesn’t matter where he then flys from to return home? 
That’s the point of the quarantine? 
( It does illustrate the utter shiteness of this Govt’s whole response though- how many people with the virus will have done the same, spreading it within Greece first, then back here?) 

It will depend if he left the quarantined area before the quarantine set in. But there's no way of proving he was there as passports are obviously at a national level only, if his flight was back from a mainland airport he'll be fine if he's happy to engage in Cummings like behaviour,  and why not tbf? 

The spike in new cases is troubling but it’s not just the mixed messaging from the government that is leading people to ignore the rules. People aren’t getting as sick as they were during the first wave. It just doesn’t feel as scary anymore. And there is a degree of lockdown fatigue - people are adjusting to the “new normal” (I hate that expression).

I don’t know if the plateauing of hospitalisations and deaths while cases rise  is just because more people are being tested this time. Or because people are spreading it to each other without getting seriously unwell, or old/vulnerable people are being more careful. Or maybe the the virus is getting weaker or it’s a combination of all of these things.

It’ll be interesting to see whether a new spike in deaths and hospitalisation follows the latest surge in positive tests. Or if we are able to continue to live along side the virus as we have since unlocking. 

CA2100B9-8B60-4FED-A23C-E92CDF9F6A26.jpeg

Edited by Dr Gloom

It's a demographic thing, the large majority of cases now are in people less than 40 who don't get that ill. Also I think social distancing will mean the viral load people receive will be less. And of course don't forget the delay. The fear is what will happen in winter. I think we will go back to high tens/low hundreds death rate for several months. Not as bad as the first wave, but prolonged problems as the virus is now endemic. Will fuck the economy as Brexit hits.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Aye exactly. As far as I can see, the new rules mean it’s fine to go to the pub or back to an open plan office, surrounded by hundreds of people but you can’t take your kids around to see your parents. People will rightly ignore it 

Aye, when the rules make no sense, people make their own. Which is fine if you’re sensible. Which most people don’t seem to be 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

It’s ok folks, that spunktrumpet conspiracy theorist quiff is right, it’s all China’s fault...

The way China forced the UK to hold off on the lockdown and made them let Cheltenham go ahead was terrible. They also prevented us from seeing what was happening in Spain, Italy etc. I appreciate her dad had already died but it’s pretty fucking obvious what the article is getting at. With the US going up in flames and it looking more and more like a no deal Brexit it seems like a brilliant time to further strain our relationship with the Chinese. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Renton said:

It's a demographic thing, the large majority of cases now are in people less than 40 who don't get that ill. Also I think social distancing will mean the viral load people receive will be less. And of course don't forget the delay. The fear is what will happen in winter. I think we will go back to high tens/low hundreds death rate for several months. Not as bad as the first wave, but prolonged problems as the virus is now endemic. Will fuck the economy as Brexit hits.

After the preceding 8 weeks (per ONS) of excess deaths from all causes (which I believe is best measure) running slightly below the 5 year average for same periods, the last 3 weeks reported have gone above average and climbing (14th August by 307, 21st by 474 and 28th by 791) death trend is upwards and currently "high hundreds"/week.

image.png.6949c3313b771f81d4f2889b504f5193.png