Coronavirus

Anorthernsoul

43 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

No second wave in China? WEEEEEIIIIRDDD!

Its eradicated in China. Are you now 100% tinfoil or just on a wind up?

I've been thinking about the situation and I think we should probably have a full national lockdown now. Feels to me like we are making the same mistake as February, letting it get out of control and leaving it too late. The end result is worse both in terrms of lives lost and economically because the inevitable lockdown will be much longer if we leave it any longer. I'd keep schools open and shut down everything else. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Renton said:

I've been thinking about the situation and I think we should probably have a full national lockdown now. Feels to me like we are making the same mistake as February, letting it get out of control and leaving it too late. The end result is worse both in terrms of lives lost and economically because the inevitable lockdown will be much longer if we leave it any longer. I'd keep schools open and shut down everything else. 

So they've eradicated a coronavirus. I suppose there'll be nobody getting a cold there either then or are the other coronaviruses still circulating? I think it's outrageous that you,  a health professional, think that China turned a blind eye to this thing for MONTHS and managed to eradicate it - and breakouts outside Wuhan seemingly stayed minimal. 

The R rate would have been ridiculous before this thing was acknowledged. To eradicate it as quickly as they did they'd have had to have gotten it to practically zero. In a country with a billion and a half people.

Edited by TheGingerQuiff

5 hours ago, Renton said:

I think the idea that teachers should remain in the firing line while the rest of the country goes on full lockdown is bullshit. Teachers aren't front line health workers, they didn't sign up for this. They sure as shit don't get paid enough for it. 

• Like 1

I see there’s 1,000 people being allowed to go to Middlesbrough’s home game today. How the fuck does that work? But I can’t see my Mam and Dad. Colin’s tested positive as well 

3 hours ago, Gemmill said:

I think the idea that teachers should remain in the firing line while the rest of the country goes on full lockdown is bullshit. Teachers aren't front line health workers, they didn't sign up for this. They sure as shit don't get paid enough for it. 

Well said Gem. If we're going to have another National Lockdown lock the lot down pubs schools etc. 1 designated shopper per household to pick up food, prescriptions etc. Everyone stay in for a month by then you'd think the infection numbers would fade away with few people interacting  with each other. Obviously I know it's not that straight forward but you'd hope they'd do something like that 

Just now, trooper said:

I think they're gambling to hold out for the October half term & maybes go for a full Lockdown then. 

It was a great idea to delay it last time so you’re probably right

My mate lives in Spain I messaged him when they went into Lockdown at the end of February  asking him if they were ok etc. I asked him what he thought we needed to do to prepare. His response was the government  need to lock everything down ASAP. It took Boris & his rugger chums another 3 weeks before they did anything.

Just been looking October half term is around October  26th over 5 weeks away. It's too long to hold on for a full Lockdown given the way the R rate is growing. Whitty was asked on Sky news yesterday "how far away are we from a second Lockdown" he wouldnt give an answer. Kids missed roughly 3 months worth of school early on in the year. Would it really do any harm for them to have another month or so off now to try to get on top of this. The longer Boris holds out the more of a gamble this becomes. 

If we leave it 5 weeks there will 30 fold more cases per day. 120,000, per day,  officially, but probably nearer half a million. Per day. This is what I mean by not learning lessons.

I want education to continue though. The riak of transmission through schools is relatively low. Teachers didn't sign up for this, no. But neither did social care workers, supermarket workers. They are essential workers and I really fear for children's futures and inequalities if they are disrupted still more. Its a horrible situation, no right answers. 

44 minutes ago, trooper said:

My mate lives in Spain I messaged him when they went into Lockdown at the end of February  asking him if they were ok etc. I asked him what he thought we needed to do to prepare. His response was the government  need to lock everything down ASAP. It took Boris & his rugger chums another 3 weeks before they did anything.

Well if the government aren't even listening to random ex-pats then they won't be getting my vote ;)

6 minutes ago, Renton said:

If we leave it 5 weeks there will 30 fold more cases per day. 120,000, per day,  officially, but probably nearer half a million. Per day. This is what I mean by not learning lessons.

I want education to continue though. The riak of transmission through schools is relatively low. Teachers didn't sign up for this, no. But neither did social care workers, supermarket workers. They are essential workers and I really fear for children's futures and inequalities if they are disrupted still more. Its a horrible situation, no right answers. 

I fear there'll be loads more malnourished poverty kids if we shut the rest of the economy down again. It's easy to insist on a lockdown when you know your own job will be safe. Measures for job retention need to be taken sharply because businesses will be starting redundancy consultant periods around now. 

I get what your saying about education. But given that most households have some kind of electrical device that connects to the internet. Would a month or so  of virtual teaching not be a safer option. As you say mate there are no right answers. 

2 minutes ago, trooper said:

I get what your saying about education. But given that most households have some kind of electrical device that connects to the internet. Would a month or so  of virtual teaching not be a safer option. As you say mate there are no right answers. 

You can't rely on the parents in a lot of cases. Many just don't give a fuck or are incapable. Even if it was just these kids coming to school that would be something but it didn't work last time round. 

6 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

I fear there'll be loads more malnourished poverty kids if we shut the rest of the economy down again. It's easy to insist on a lockdown when you know your own job will be safe. Measures for job retention need to be taken sharply because businesses will be starting redundancy consultant periods around now. 

Then the government needs to continue supporting them. The alternative is worse.