Anorthernsoul

Coronavirus

23 minutes ago, Renton said:

You can't do lab work, hospital attachments, art work etc. online tbf. Most courses will have some activities that can't be done remotely.

But anyway denying students social interaction is denying them at least half the point of university, I do feel sorry for them. I dont have any answers unfortunately. 

You want answers?

I want the truth!

1 hour ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Uni lectures can all be done online. The only reason they are doing a handful of face to face sessions is so they can justify keeping the tens of thousands of halls of residence rooms open 

yup women in works son has just had to go back to Liverpool, for 1 lecture in person a week, the rest are all virtual.

10 hours ago, Ant said:

Wish they'd have locked everything down properly, the local lockdown rules here are fucking stupid. 

Households locked down but I can go to footy training (I haven't). If I wanted with 80 other people and play a friendly this Saturday vs people from multiple postcodes and backgrounds 

My ma can't come to my house but I can meet her in Costa no problem if I choose. 

Lack of gym/footy is starting to get to me mind, no outlet from work stress which is brexit and incessant, no drive to/from work to clear my head etc

But my WhatsApp group chats are nonstop with lads sorting out training and friendlies etc I know it's not worth the risk going back and I've not got complacent but I can see why alot of people have

Playing football, assuming it’s outdoors, sounds pretty low risk. 

The gym, I’m less convinced about. I haven’t been since March. 

NI are into mild lockdown with 6 people only allowed in gardens from two households....it's difficult to imagine that won't be a measure nationwide by the weekend. 

I'd be surprised if many abide by that guidance tbh. What made people sit up and listen last time was the severity of the measures, this is more of a mild 'well we'd like you to do this'.

If only there'd been clear and comprehensive rules for the various levels of the pandemic from the start. We'd have known what to do from the start, it's at 2 you can do xyz, it's at 3 you can do abc all they'd need to do is publish the levels.

Making it up as they go along (and all the backtracks) has worked so well

Oh aye make masks mandatory at shops etc, and clamp on it hard with on the spot fines/no-entry, short term security/labour intensive but it wouldn't take long for it to sink in.

Friends have just come back from Turkey (rather them than me going through an airport/abroad like) and papers to fill in on flight, where they were staying etc handed in at immigration/visa desk, temperature check as they entered terminal, came home and absolutely nowt on return !!!!

• Like 1
  • Jaysus... 1

Whitty & Valance told us yesterday were this is probably going without swift action now. So Boris delays  for a further 24 hours before he's going to say. We'll shut the pubs at 10 o clock. Without saying it Whitty & Valance were telling us we needed a full Lockdown now. Not something half arsed like shutting pubs at 10. It's a pathetic response for purely economic reasons. They upped the Level to 4 yesterday & the response is shut the pubs at 10 you couldnt make it up 

Edited by trooper

20 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

NI are into mild lockdown with 6 people only allowed in gardens from two households....it's difficult to imagine that won't be a measure nationwide by the weekend. 

like i said in my post it's a lockdown with stupid exceptions, like that rule above, but sport is an exception so i could've went to footy training last night that had 60-80 at it from multiple postcodes, likewise then play in one of the multiple friendlies organised this weekend.

No changing rooms allowed, can't shake hands, but i can manhandle someone at a corner :lol: it's fucking idiotic

• Like 1

As Nandy has pointed out, in the areas where they’ve already had the 10pm curfew in place it has been ineffective anyway. 

• Like 1

Just now, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

Advice has changed to wfh if you can. Why the fuck this was changed in the first place is beyond me

To get people to spend money on fuel, coffee, public transport, sandwiches etc. Plus landlords can’t indefinitely charge money for empty office space 

22 minutes ago, ewerk said:

I'd be surprised if many abide by that guidance tbh. What made people sit up and listen last time was the severity of the measures, this is more of a mild 'well we'd like you to do this'.

I think Johnson will outline stiffer penalties tonight. And perhaps incentives to grass up your neighbours etc...

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

Playing football, assuming it’s outdoors, sounds pretty low risk. 

The gym, I’m less convinced about. I haven’t been since March. 

sweat, lads spitting beside you as they run, obviously marking/tackling them, it's not just the training, we've literal matches being played since aug while they wait for league decisions on a start date.

i was getting a bit fed up and went up to watch one of our teams other week cause the lads keep texting me about when i'll be back so thought i'd catch up with them since i'd seen nobody outside my family really since march. 

They were swapping tops mid match with rolling subs because it was a friendly and they'd not enough kits, lads pissing at the side of the pitch and dandering back on, sharing water bottles etc, it's nuts that they've let amateur sports back at all with the only restriction being "no changing facilities" really.

2 minutes ago, Ant said:

sweat, lads spitting beside you as they run, obviously marking/tackling them, it's not just the training, we've literal matches being played since aug while they wait for league decisions on a start date.

i was getting a bit fed up and went up to watch one of our teams other week cause the lads keep texting me about when i'll be back so thought i'd catch up with them since i'd seen nobody outside my family really since march. 

They were swapping tops mid match with rolling subs because it was a friendly and they'd not enough kits, lads pissing at the side of the pitch and dandering back on, sharing water bottles etc, it's nuts that they've let amateur sports back at all with the only restriction being "no changing facilities" really.

swapping tops and sharing bottles obviously isn't the smartest idea but the actual risk of transmission from playing team sports, in the open air, is really quite low. in london, you had thousands of people crammed together outdoors like sardines for the BLM marches, and there was no spike in cases. Numbers have only picked up again since the schools reopened and after a summer of people gathering indoors in pubs and restaurants.

so it's a calculated risk - you have to weigh it up against what being stuck at home every day is doing to your mental health. 

26 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

swapping tops and sharing bottles obviously isn't the smartest idea but the actual risk of transmission from playing team sports, in the open air, is really quite low. in london, you had thousands of people crammed together outdoors like sardines for the BLM marches, and there was no spike in cases. Numbers have only picked up again since the schools reopened and after a summer of people gathering indoors in pubs and restaurants.

so it's a calculated risk - you have to weigh it up against what being stuck at home every day is doing to your mental health. 

my mums no immune system and the OH is on the vuln list so it's more the risk to them than it is to me

2 minutes ago, Ant said:

my mums no immune system and the OH is on the vuln list so it's more the risk to them than it is to me

it's obviously a highly personal decision and extreme caution is completely understandable in your case. 

3 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

or maybe the rise in cases is to do with seasonality of what it is?  Coronavirus from what I have read over the past months do start to rise at this time of year.

It's all fucking bollocks.  This cunt and his mate are going to extend the emergency measures and it's like living with Kim Jong-un.  It's Orwellian.

In August Covid was the 24th largest killer.  TWENTY FUCKING FOURTH.  Yet we're fucking locking down further.  Causing more issues with other health areas. 

My old man in Jan had a problem with his heart.  12 weeks to see a cardiologist.  Then this hit.  Still not seen a cardiologist.  He fucking dropped dead last Weds.  This cunts in charge have fucking blood on their hands.  Absolute despicable cunts.

Funny how you don't hear about Sweden now eh? 

4 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

or maybe the rise in cases is to do with seasonality of what it is?  Coronavirus from what I have read over the past months do start to rise at this time of year.

It's all fucking bollocks.  This cunt and his mate are going to extend the emergency measures and it's like living with Kim Jong-un.  It's Orwellian.

In August Covid was the 24th largest killer.  TWENTY FUCKING FOURTH.  Yet we're fucking locking down further.  Causing more issues with other health areas. 

My old man in Jan had a problem with his heart.  12 weeks to see a cardiologist.  Then this hit.  Still not seen a cardiologist.  He fucking dropped dead last Weds.  This cunts in charge have fucking blood on their hands.  Absolute despicable cunts.

Really sorry to hear about your dad mate. 

16 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Really sorry to hear that, completely understand the emotion. The failure of the NHS to keep on top of the workload needs full investigation. Including primary care. At the same time, left unchecked coronavirus would have bought the system to its knees anyway. We fucked up in March and will be paying a heavy price in health for years to come. 

• Like 1