Coronavirus

Anorthernsoul

13 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

No idea. My point was in relation to the widespread applauding across the media of Germany’s mass testing. Which usually ignores the fact they’ve got the exact same death trend as we do in the UK.

They have less than half the deaths we’ve had in the U.K.

Well I am going to predict Germany will flatten their curve much earlier than us and end up with a lot less deaths. Despite being a larger country with 9 land borders. Testing will have been part of this, but also quicker lockdown and better capacity. All relative failings of our country. Again, we'll see. 

12 minutes ago, Renton said:

6.7 million Americans filed for unemployment benefit last week, now 10 million overall over the last 2 weeks. Jesus. 

This is the thing that has scared me most so far now. That's a big number. I hope to fuck Trump has a plan.. 

You can't look at it day on day and draw conclusions though. It went down two days in a row a few days back but now its more than double those levels.

There's no way possible for this not to accelerate over the next week or two, because we had done nothing to curtail growth until 9 days ago. 

1 minute ago, Rayvin said:

That sounds like it might be a drop in the rate of increase though?

It does. The numbers seem a bit all over the place, haven't got a clue how they are being calculated now. Sounds odd to be relieved at such a horrific death toll though, but I am, for now. Desperately hope we get to the stabilisation phase soon. 

10 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

This is the thing that has scared me most so far now. That's a big number. I hope to fuck Trump has a plan.. 

He said something about it being wrong to pay people to do nothing so I imagine his plan will be to not pay them or force them to work for benefits. 

Just now, Gemmill said:

You can't look at it day on day and draw conclusions though. It went down two days in a row a few days back but now its more than double those levels.

There's no way possible for this not to accelerate over the next week or two, because we had done nothing to curtail growth until 9 days ago. 

Pubs and restaurants closed down 13 days ago tbf, also most people started social distancing. I think we will hit 4 figure deaths though.

1 minute ago, Renton said:

Pubs and restaurants closed down 13 days ago tbf, also most people started social distancing. I think we will hit 4 figure deaths though.

We are days/weeks away from even being able to hope that these numbers are about to dip is my point. Total false hope if you're trying to draw any positive conclusions from today's figure. 

3 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

We are days/weeks away from even being able to hope that these numbers are about to dip is my point. Total false hope if you're trying to draw any positive conclusions from today's figure. 

My point is there is hope because these figures don't contradict the idea social distancing will work. Huge increases might. 

1 minute ago, Renton said:

My point is there is hope because these figures don't contradict the idea social distancing will work. Huge increases might. 

Spain has been on a properly enforced lockdown for 19 days, and today they set a new record for daily deaths of 950. You're making a mistake if you're even trying to draw positive conclusions from today's numbers - they are headed way north of where they are today. 

43 minutes ago, Renton said:

6.7 million Americans filed for unemployment benefit last week, now 10 million overall over the last 2 weeks. Jesus. 

That's shocking, but Trump will completely ignore it and talk about what he had for tea instead.

7 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Spain has been on a properly enforced lockdown for 19 days, and today they set a new record for daily deaths of 950. You're making a mistake if you're even trying to draw positive conclusions from today's numbers - they are headed way north of where they are today. 

Fucking hell Gemmill, let me have a day off! I need it.

I agree btw. 

Imagine if 10 years ago you were approached by a time traveler and he was like.....

“Look, I don't have much time to explain, all I can tell you is that the year 2020 is going to be an absolute shit show. 

You know Donald Trump, the star of The Apprentice? Well, he's the President of the United States and at the beginning of 2020 he gets into a Twitter beef with Iran after killing General Salami and that almost starts WW3. 

Gwyneth Paltrow makes a candle that smells like her vagina while Australia actually catches on fire and a woman tries to save it by selling 10,000 nude pictures of herself.

Kobe Bryant passes away in a helicopter crash. Half the world is devasted, the other half just makes super messed up memes. 

Up next, some dude in China eats a nasty raw bat and starts a global pandemic that specifically kills maw-maws and paw-paws. Everyone really loses their mind. 

40% of the population thinks it's the end of the world, another 40% thinks it's all fake, and 20% blames the whole thing on cell phone towers and Tom Hanks‘ kids. 

The one thing everyone seems to agree on is that the only way to survive is by hoarding toilet paper. Grocery stores are ransacked and Charmin Ultra Soft essentially replaces the dollar as the United States official currency. 

Eventually as hysteria grows, world governments are forced to shut the entire planet down and lock everyone in their houses and that's just the first 3 months. 

Seemingly, the only person that can keep the people from completely flipping out and starting a huge riot is a polygamist gun toting homosexual Oklahoma man with a meth addiction and 227 big ass pet tigers...”

16 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

See above tweet

Number of deaths means nowt. Their curve is near identical to ours, albeit a week or two behind. 

From the same author:

• None of this is to deny that in the long run the scale of Germany’s testing will be hugely beneficial to its fight against covid, but I’m specifically calling out the poorly-thought-through narrative that a low CFR when testing loads of young people means fewer deaths

Yes, they are earlier in the curve, but let's see how it develops. The point is, widespread information gives you better understanding of what is happening and, I believe,  will lead to much better outcomes, and ultimately a way out. "Test, test, test" say the WHO. Look up why. 

You’re arguing the toss with me on a future that may or may not happen based on complete supposition. My point still stands, Germany is on the same COVID death curve as the UK, despite using many more testing kits. 

You need to stop jumping on anyone that disagrees with you. You aren’t the COVID oracle 

Edited by Kid Dynamite

21 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

You’re arguing the toss with me on a future that may or may not happen based on complete supposition. My point still stands, Germany is on the same COVID death curve as the UK, despite using many more testing kits. 

You need to stop jumping on anyone that disagrees with you. You aren’t the COVID oracle 

that's just what he calls himself when it's sexy time with mrs renton 

• Haha 1