Coronavirus

Anorthernsoul

Just now, Tdansmith said:

Ireland..shut schools

UK.. keep schools open

A gamble by who ? 

I like how the sociopaths running these pitiful islands have the two top scientific advisors fully on side. Must be on a good bonus for toeing the line :cuppa:

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Seems like a reasonable press conference to me. I believe the Chief medical officer over the twitter experts 

Aye most psychos sound very plausible...till it's too late..

Just now, PaddockLad said:

I like how the sociopaths running these pitiful islands have the two top scientific advisors fully on side. Must be on a good bonus for toeing the line :cuppa:

You could see the stress in the face of these advisors.

Boris has never been so unwilling to talk in his life, political passing the buck at it's best.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Tbf they gave a rationale. It’s pointless closing schools now when we might not hit the peak for another 12 weeks. Life can’t just stop for 3 months. Some other countries have jumped the gun it seems 

44 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Seems like a reasonable press conference to me. I believe the Chief medical officer over the twitter experts 

you are not concerned that their advice is contrary to what scientists across the rest of the world seem to be saying? 

almost every other european country has closed or restricted schools - what do our guys know that theirs don't?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/12/how-do-coronavirus-containment-measures-vary-across-europe

Edited by Dr Gloom

Just now, Kid Dynamite said:

Tbf they gave a rationale. It’s pointless closing schools now when we might not hit the peak for another 12 weeks. Life can’t just stop for 3 months. Some other countries have jumped the gun it seems 

it can stop for those who can work from home. some kids can be home schooled. fewer people out and about breathing in each other's germs would surely delay the thing rather than carrying on, business as usual,. 

33 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

it can stop for those who can work from home. some kids can be home schooled. fewer people out and about breathing in each other's germs would surely delay the thing rather than carrying on, business as usual,. 

it’s about delaying / flattening the peak so the NHS can cope better with the seriously ill during late spring / summer.

I’m not sure what people don’t understand about this? If we all bunkered down for a few months now, then we would be delaying the peak to winter when all the other winter viruses are at their peak.

53 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Which countries have jumped the gun? Did you read the case reports from the link Gloomy posted?

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca

We'll soon see if this strategy is right. I suspect this is as much a political choice as a medical one. If you want to save lives, you have to be more proactive. China and the far eastern Asian countries have managed to get it under control, buying time to get this thing into the summer, research drug treatments, and get a working vaccine. 

Edited by Renton

28 minutes ago, Tdansmith said:

You could see the stress in the face of these advisors.

Boris has never been so unwilling to talk in his life, political passing the buck at it's best.

Ive had a long, similar chat with the top occupational health professional from the major corporate facilities maintenance contractor that I'm currently employed by. Just an exercise in marking their cards after being informed that the company office staff should definitely work from home but front line engineers with underlying respiratory health issues should keep going into doctors surgeries all day every day where idiots keep presenting with heavy cold symptoms, to make the profits so that those at less risk of actually fuckin dying from  this shit can continue to sit at home where their risk of contracting the virus is drastically cut :cuppa:

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

I understand what they were saying. I don't understand why our science is different to the continent's science. 

21 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

it’s about delaying / flattening the peak so the NHS can cope better with the seriously ill during late springI

How is allowing major gatherings and open schools delaying the peak?

This is an extremely new disease. Even delaying things a month will bring new forms of testing and treatment. The government seems content to allow a lot of extra deaths in order to make ‘global Britain’ appear open for business.

Edited by ewerk
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

it’s about delaying / flattening the peak so the NHS can cope better with the seriously ill during late spring / summer.

I’m not sure what people don’t understand about this? If we all bunkered down for a few months now, then we would be delaying the peak to winter when all the other winter viruses are at their peak.

So the rest of the world is wrong and we’re right? 

8 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

So the rest of the world is wrong and we’re right? 

Pretty much. I haven’t seen anyone else give a scientific rationale as to what they are doing. Also, we are 4 weeks behind other parts of Europe with the virus. It’s pointless closing schools now if the peak isn’t coming in a month or two. There’s no hope the cretinous Joe Public would self isolate en masse for 3 months.

Im struggling to fathom why people are arguing with 2 of the top scientific minds in the country who quite clearly and concisely explained their rationale? 

20 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Pretty much. I haven’t seen anyone else give a scientific rationale as to what they are doing. Also, we are 4 weeks behind other parts of Europe with the virus. It’s pointless closing schools now if the peak isn’t coming in a month or two. There’s no hope the cretinous Joe Public would self isolate en masse for 3 months.

Im struggling to fathom why people are arguing with 2 of the top scientific minds in the country who quite clearly and concisely explained their rationale? 

I’m no scientist and I confess I am also deeply concerned by all of this. But I’d reiterate the point ewerk made. Surely by carrying on as normal we are accelerating the spread rather than controlling it. I don’t believe for a second that everyone would or should self isolate but if the messaging was, stay at home if you can, at least, it would surely put the brakes on somewhat. The more people there are out there, the quicker this thing is passed about 

Edited by Dr Gloom

6 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Okay, I missed the presser, how are we 4 weeks behind Italy? Really? At the minute we are on an exponential trajectory of 33% increase per day, with probably 10,000 current cases. At that rate in 28 days there will be 30 million infections. I've literally just done that calculation on my phone. Have we actually done anything significant to reduce the rate?

Why the holy fuck are we letting thousands of football fans in from Madrid, allowing tens of thousands to congregate at Cheltenham? Does this really strike you as sensible? You have faith in these people? Combine this with the fact the NHS has less bed capacity compared with any other major economy in Europe. I am almost willing to bet the uber capitalist Anglophone nations won't come out of this well.