Coronavirus

Anorthernsoul

It's a known scientific fact your initial viral load of influenza is negatively correlated with a good prognosis. Its almost certainly the same with coronavirus, which is very similar to influenza in many aspects. It won't just be load, it will also be site, i.e. getting it deep in your lungs will not be good. This is why adequate PPE is so important.

HIV is a blood borne chronic infection that has literally zero relevance here. I would have thought that was obvious. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

He's a problem to be dealt with in the aftermath.

In my brief stint at 3m, I was working on a production line that had been stood for years out of action after being installed during SARS. It was a truly impressive line and was installed and set up in just a few weeks during that crisis. It could bray 200k masks out in a 12 hour shift.

Sorting out similar facilities for gowns and other p.p.e should and could have been relatively simple.

Look at what them cunts said about homelessness during the election.  It was a 'complex issue' apparently. This comes along and the homeless are put in shelters.

But the media etc should be highlighting this.  Keeping these cunts on their toes, but nah.

53 minutes ago, Renton said:

It's a known scientific fact your initial viral load of influenza is negatively correlated with a good prognosis. Its almost certainly the same with coronavirus, which is very similar to influenza in many aspects. It won't just be load, it will also be site, i.e. getting it deep in your lungs will not be good. This is why adequate PPE is so important.

HIV is a blood borne chronic infection that has literally zero relevance here. I would have thought that was obvious. 

How long could an initial loading phase last? It seems odd that it's so mild and asymptomatic to some but so deadly to others. Almost like it's been designed and created for maximum disruption. 

Edited by TheGingerQuiff

I think the tories are completely fucked. Short term during the crisis people will rally behind them, despite their incompetence. It's like a war effort, I appreciate that.

But winter is coming. The reckoning is coming. The economy is going to be utterly fucked. Mass unemployment. High street dead. Leisure, fucked. Salaries down. Taxes up. Services cut  again. I'd be amazed if a competent leader like Starmer doesnt have a land slide against that backdrop. Just like Atlee did against Churchill. People will know we have to do something different. 

1 minute ago, Renton said:

I think the tories are completely fucked. Short term during the crisis people will rally behind them, despite their incompetence. It's like a war effort, I appreciate that.

But winter is coming. The reckoning is coming. The economy is going to be utterly fucked. Mass unemployment. High street dead. Leisure, fucked. Salaries down. Taxes up. Services cut  again. I'd be amazed if a competent leader like Starmer doesnt have a land slide against that backdrop. Just like Atlee did against Churchill. People will know we have to do something different. 

How do we get to an election from here though? No chance or requirement for them to call one themselves. 

4 minutes ago, Renton said:

Only what 4 years to wait then

Just now, TheGingerQuiff said:

How long could an initial loading phase last? It seems odd that it's so mild and asymptomatic to some but so deadly other to others. Almost like it's been designed and created for maximum disruption. 

It's not been designed man. With influenza, there is actual experimental evidence, not observational evidence, where there was a dose response in volunteers. Healthcare workers need to be careful.

Most the mortality can be explained, with a few anomalies. Men are twice as likely to die as women, because they have greater ACE receptor expression. Older and immunocompromised people, or people with comorbidities, are at massive risk. Children almost immune (receptor expression).

As for chinese conspiracy theories, what a load of shite. If the world economy is fucked, they're fucked too. They were doing fine without having to commit genocide. I think its borderline racist tbh. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

How do we get to an election from here though? No chance or requirement for them to call one themselves. 

Yeah, that's the problem. 4 1/2 years of shite to get through. It would be shite regardless of who was in charge though. 

2 minutes ago, Renton said:

It's not been designed man. With influenza, there is actual experimental evidence, not observational evidence, where there was a dose response in volunteers. Healthcare workers need to be careful.

Most the mortality can be explained, with a few anomalies. Men are twice as likely to die as women, because they have greater ACE receptor expression. Older and immunocompromised people, or people with comorbidities, are at massive risk. Children almost immune (receptor expression).

As for chinese conspiracy theories, what a load of shite. If the world economy is fucked, they're fucked too. They were doing fine without having to commit genocide. I think its borderline racist tbh. 

I just had a bit of a chat with an old school pal who posted “let’s not buy goods from China, but British , blah blah” shite all over my FB. 
Pointed out to him, using his own photos, how many of his beloved possessions were made in China, and asked if he’d be replacing them with British made goods? 
He was also posting from his iPhone. 
It went as well as you’d expect and he’s now blocked me. 
Racist cunt :lol:

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Renton said:

Well my experience is that we aren't building engines for a lot of countries that we usually build for and our build plan is almost exclusively Chinese engines. Not like a country that is still managing a health crisis, but one that has flipped a seemingly critical situation, eradicated covid and is operating almost normally even in non-essential industry. I don't get how they got here from a period of ignorance and spiralling out of control, in a short period of time and with less deaths than forewarned countries. That's not racist. It's suspicious behaviour and we have every right to be suspicious given how they carried on early doors (I.e suspiciously) 

Edited by TheGingerQuiff

43 minutes ago, Anorthernsoul said:

The chinese aren't daft are they, unleash this ridiculous beast on the world then sell everyone the kit for protection.

The most sadistic capitalism I have ever seen.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-52338099

You'd think they could have come up with something more lucrative than a bunch of hospital kit.

2 hours ago, Renton said:

I would have thought my example being a piss take was obvious :lol:

36 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

I would have thought my example being a piss take was obvious :lol:

Canny hard to tell tbh. I did get the impression you thought transmission was a binary yes or no. It's very likely not. 

1 hour ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

Convince everybody it's not that bad first with some fake numbers,  ensuring they remain unprepared. Not suspicious at all.

So, to be clear, you think the chinese knowingly developed and released a virus on their own community, killing thousands, faked the numbers under the eyes of the WHO, in order to decimate the worlds population and economy so they would come out on top? And make a bigger mark up on PPE.

Ignoring the fact you think they have the same morals as Hitler, this doesn't add up. Why didn't they covertly just release it their competitors countries, in particularly the United States? Why did they help us by releasing the gene sequence enabling us to diagnose it? But really, just why would they do it? They've just gone into negative growth themselves for the first time in history, its fucked their economy. And when the west's economy is also fucked, they won't be selling their shit to us anymore in the same quantities. 

China were doing very well on were on course to surpass the USA this decade anyway. Like most conspiracies, this makes no sense. 

Just now, Renton said:

So, to be clear, you think the chinese knowingly developed and released a virus on their own community, killing thousands, faked the numbers under the eyes of the WHO, in order to decimate the worlds population and economy so they would come out on top? And make a bigger mark up on PPE.

Ignoring the fact you think they have the same morals as Hitler, this doesn't add up. Why didn't they covertly just release it their competitors countries, in particularly the United States? Why did they help us by releasing the gene sequence enabling us to diagnose it? But really, just why would they do it? They've just gone into negative growth themselves for the first time in history, its fucked their economy. And when the west's economy is also fucked, they won't be selling their shit to us anymore in the same quantities. 

China were doing very well on were on course to surpass the USA this decade anyway. Like most conspiracies, this makes no sense. 

Well the unprecedented demand for diesel engines coming from there, applications both on and off highway (construction etc) is basically keeping our company open at the minute, and doesn't tally up with any kind economic suffering they might be under. They certainly aren't suffering proportionately to the rest of the world. I don't know what the conspiracy is. If there is something underhand, they wouldn't be so obvious as to withhold the genetic code from us and make it obvious as fuck though would they? 

2 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

Just infect 60% low riskers with small amounts then.

Sorted.

Well, that was the plan, wasn't it? Except nobody knows if you become immune yet. If it's like most other coronaviruses, immunity won't be complete and will be short lived, especially if the initial infection was mild. Also inevitably a proportion of people will have a major reaction and die, so it's just not ethical. 

Again, immunity is not binary. You might get some protection, but catch it again when you've perhaps immunosuppressed for some reason, and it could be curtains.

I'm going to make a prediction, not founded on anything in particular other than history. I don't vaccination will be our saviour this time. I think the virus will mutate to become less deadly, and in the mean time we will develop drug treatment to cure it. In 2 years time, it will be a nasty but treatable illness.