Coronavirus

Anorthernsoul

Just had another case confirmed at work, where I'm still required to attend, in flesh. They're making us wear masks now and they're hideously uncomfortable. Would honestly rather catch it.

Edited by TheGingerQuiff
  • Jaysus... 1

1 hour ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

Just had another case confirmed at work, where I'm still required to attend, in flesh. They're making us wear masks now and they're hideously uncomfortable. Would honestly rather catch it.

You should get on to the union about it. :good:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

Hope you’re ok, mate 👍🏻

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

Stopping work on Health and Safety Grounds The employer’s attention should be drawn to the existence of S.44 and S.100 of the Employment Rights Act. This prohibits individuals who have left the workplace in circumstances of danger, which they reasonably believe is imminent and cannot be averted, from being subjected to a detriment or dismissal. Where employers are not operating safely or in accordance with government guidance including the heightened hygiene provisions, social distancing and the provision of PPE, then an individual can justify leaving the workplace, refuse to return where any danger persists or take appropriate steps to protect themselves. Any such decision would be on the basis of their own decision regarding their workplace as to whether there are “circumstances of danger” which they reasonably believe would be serious and imminent. This does not mean returning home, but removing themselves to a place where that harm no longer exists or until such time as that danger is minimized or averted. If this situation occurs officers should revert to the Q&A materials that have been circulated and/or contact their legal officer for advice on how to proceed. These individual rights do not apply to all categories of worker particularly those that have the status of self-employed. However the duty for employers, hirers or contractors to provide a safe working environment for all those engaged in a workplace applies consistently. Where poor safety practices are reported to the union, Unite will make the appropriate interventions with those organisations to ensure the highest standards of safety are maintained.

https://unitetheunion.org/media/3069/009-riskassessandprocedures-2020-05-07.pdf

I know that this little girl is one of the very unfortunate kids to have been hit really hard by the virus, but why would any parent take the risk? And more importantly why would any government put them in a position where they had to decide? 

3 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

I know that this little girl is one of the very unfortunate kids to have been hit really hard by the virus, but why would any parent take the risk? And more importantly why would any government put them in a position where they had to decide? 

Awful. But to open up the debate....

they are 12-18months away from creating a vaccine, and have suggested a vaccine may not even be found. What do we do then? You can’t realistically keep schools shut that long. The other 2 options are herd immunity, or track and trace. Herd immunity will end up with many more dead. Track and trace is potentially manageable if you close your borders, but near impossible with airports and ports open.

Whatever route we go will have to be the least worst option I fear 

I think I have to agree with J69 here. The direct risk of sending your kid to school from covid is tiny, so small I think it can be discounted. There will always be sad individual cases but you can't let emotion drive this. Kawasaki's disease has always been around. I think maybe the incidence has doubled, but doubling an very small absolute risk is still a very small risk.

The societal risk to increasing R is what worries me. I would have kept the lockdown in place longer, and just kept the kids off until September, tried to get prevalence really low. Come September, I think the children have to get back to some sense of normality whatever the situation is. My daughter met her best friend in the street yesterday, neither knew how to appropriately interact with each other. It was worrying and sad to see. I don't fear the physical effect of the virus on her, but I do fear the effects on her educational and social  development. 

8 minutes ago, Ant said:

Aye reopen the schools, can't even contain a nits outbreak in most primary schools but fuck it

A big chunk of the workforce rely on schools for childcare unfortunately. Like I said, there isn’t a right answer. But keeping schools shut indefinitely probably isn’t the solution 

I think the clever move would be to plan to reopen in a month and keep an eye on what is happening as schools reopen in Europe. If it’s successful in other countries then send the kids in until the summer holidays and use that to find out what works and what doesn’t to plan properly for their return in September.

• Like 1

How do I explain to my kid that it’ll be ok to go to school, (with 15-30 classmates depending on which way the wind blows), but he can’t go up the street for a cuddle with his Granny, or see his extended family, or play out with his mates? 

Utter nonsense. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

How do I explain to my kid that it’ll be ok to go to school, (with 15-30 classmates depending on which way the wind blows), but he can’t go up the street for a cuddle with his Granny, or see his extended family, or play out with his mates? 

Utter nonsense. 

Because school have to practice social distancing as best as practically possible? I personally would ignore government advice on who you can and can't meet outside as long as you maintain your distance. 

It's likely social distancing will be the new normal for years, maybe it will become so ingrained in our psyche its here forever. I feel most sorry for teenagers and 20 somethings, what a shit time for them. 

I understand that schools will have to reopen at some point. But get your track and trace system up, and prove that it's working first. That was meant to be mid May, now they're saying end of May. Get it fucking sorted and then let people start moving back to normality, knowing you've got a robust system to isolate outbreaks.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

I understand that schools will have to reopen at some point. But get your track and trace system up, and prove that it's working first. That was meant to be mid May, now they're saying end of May. Get it fucking sorted and then let people start moving back to normality, knowing you've got a robust system to isolate outbreaks.

That’s exactly it. There is zero point in opening up the economy and schools before the track and trace system is up and running, which it’s clearly isn’t 

22 minutes ago, Renton said:

It's likely social distancing will be the new normal for years, maybe it will become so ingrained in our psyche its here forever. I feel most sorry for teenagers and 20 somethings, what a shit time for them. 

People had enough of it after 6 weeks and I’d wager a solid 60% of the country are just flagrantly ignoring it at this point, including major retail places. It isn’t ingrained in the slightest. Once the green light is given (whenever that is), people will be straight back to normal.

• Like 1

We're either getting a vaccine or we're getting herd immunity. That being the case, why would social distancing be the norm for years? 

As soon as the pubs reopen, social distancing is over. 

1 hour ago, Kid Dynamite said:

A big chunk of the workforce rely on schools for childcare unfortunately.

Which is the driver rather than any shit about kids welfare. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Agreed, which is why a September restart seems sensible. Ewerk might have a point in suggesting limited reopening to reception, 1 and 6 might be a bit of an experiment mind. 

1 minute ago, NJS said:

Which is the driver rather than any shit about kids welfare. 

The argument education and social interaction is also important to children's welfare is valid imo. Also, with the limited intake planned, it will make bot all difference to most parents' work situation. 

4 minutes ago, Renton said:

The argument education and social interaction is also important to children's welfare is valid imo. Also, with the limited intake planned, it will make bot all difference to most parents' work situation. 

Don't get me wrong I completely agree - I'm just saying the tory priority is getting more people back to work. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

We're either getting a vaccine or we're getting herd immunity. That being the case, why would social distancing be the norm for years? 

As soon as the pubs reopen, social distancing is over. 

Theres loads of scenarios. Herd immunity isn't going to happen, it would take 6 years at the present rate and even then its unlikely people will get long term immunity. A vaccine for the entire population is realistically towards the end of next year. It's possible the virus may get less virulent too I suppose, but who knows. 

That's a long time of social distancing. I feel its completely instinctive to me already personally.