Coronavirus

Anorthernsoul

4 hours ago, Gemmill said:

He's not just staring the press down though, is he? He stood up on telly yesterday and basically told the public they were wrong, him and his mate were right, and that that was the end of the matter. This virus has affected everybody. I personally have been fortunate enough not to lose anyone but there are loads that have or that know someone that has, and these people cut across the political spectrum.  And they are furious that they played by the rules and face timed their final goodbyes while this dickhead drove cross country and basically did whatever the fuck he liked. And now him and the PM are playing them for mugs.

Loads of Tory MPs are getting hundreds of letters from their constituents and all of them will be determined to do something to save their own skin. There's lots of shit people forget by the time the next election rolls around, but waving goodbye to a parent on an iPad screen and then not being able to attend their burial isn't one of them. 

For the same reason that I don't think Trump will just get to shrug this one off, I don't think Johnson does either. This isnt just a minor tussle between Johnson and the press.

I understand this but we live in an era that isn't functioning normally in a political sense. What is it exactly that is going to happen which will force Cummings to go? The press have shown their hand and it's a good one, but if Johnson rides out today it's not like the matter escalates from there.

Unless the Tories really do force the issue themselves, which I doubt they have the spine to do, I don't think this goes anywhere from here without further revelations.

A hospital in Weston Super Mare has stopped taking new patients due to an uptick in Covid patients. 

Sounds like the perfect time to relax the lockdown and send kids back to school... 

• Jaysus... 1

14 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

If he doesn't go then all the better for Labour. My point really is that this isn't going to go away. 

I think you’re right. His presence can be weaponised. Dunt was just saying he’s the embodiment of “its one rule for them”. Labour should dine out on this for years. 

It would also be immensely satisfying in the short term if more evidence came out forcing him into a humiliating resignation and apology. So it’s win/win. 

I hope you're right but can't bring myself to share the optimism. I think if he doesn't go now, no one will care in 2 months time. And by the next election Cummings will be long gone anyway, Brexit delivered and job done. By his own intention he's only meant to be an advisor for about a year anyway.

It's been a good attempt that has forced the government to absolutely undermine public trust and confidence, but if Johnson chooses not to act on it then he's doing so because he knows they can ride it out.

Edited by Rayvin

5 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

I hope you're right but can't bring myself to share the optimism. I think if he doesn't go now, no one will care in 2 months time. And by the next election Cummings will be long gone anyway, Brexit delivered and job done. By his own intention he's only meant to be an advisor for about a year anyway.

It's been a good attempt that has forced the government to absolutely undermine public trust and confidence, but if Johnson chooses not to act on it then he's doing so because he knows they can ride it out.

Aye, let's not forget that Cummings is still officially in contempt of parliament and how much do you hear about that these days?

I also think it's interesting to see Labour not saying anything, and for this to be praised, compared to the previous 5 years of cautious and measured responses which were pilloried.

Although of course Starmer has condemned this, just no one in the media cared very much. Which also sounds familiar...

I like the guy but I'm not sure he's visible enough.

Labour have been calling for an investigation into the breaches. Perhaps they think that dragging this out would be more beneficial to them than a quick resignation.

In the despair after December's result, there were a few comments that Johnson would unwind as he doesn't like scrutiny - I think that's happening now - it's just a shame that it's under such deadly circumstances and not something "trivial" like brexit. 

• Like 2

He's going to double down. Talking points will be:

1. I was following lockdown protocol.

2. None of you here are obeying social distancing.

3. You hate me cos Brexit.

4. This is actually an attempt to stop Brexit.

5. You're all cunts.

Edited by Rayvin

I suppose it's possible he tries to be civil and act with humility but i honestly can't imagine him even being capable of it, let alone wanting to.

I reckon the police investigation has spooked him cos he knows they're gonna find some shit out. I can't see this public statement going well either, he seems incapable of appearing affable or pleasant. Especially if journalists are involved. 

Two problems I see with him making a statement - he’s going to look terrible if he tells the truth and just as bad if he lies. 

5 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

I suppose it's possible he tries to be civil and act with humility but i honestly can't imagine him even being capable of it, let alone wanting to.

It’s not in his nature 

Just now, Alex said:

Two problems I see with him making a statement - he’s going to look terrible if he tells the truth and just as bad if he lies. 

Two good reasons why I'll be watching

• Haha 1

Code of Conduct for Special Advisors:

Special advisers must not take public part in political controversy, through any form of statement whether in speeches or letters to the press, or in books, social media, articles or leaflets.

They must observe discretion and express comment with moderation, avoiding personal attacks, and would not normally speak in public for their Minister or the Department.

Edited by Rayvin
  • Like 1