Coronavirus

Anorthernsoul

A lot of people don’t seem to be taking it seriously at all. I’ve seen loads arrogantly walking around shops without masks on, as if they’re making a point.

Stopped to get some petrol on Shields Road and the other 3 people in didn’t have masks on when I went to pay. 

Im seeing otherwise intelligent people pose with groups of friends. Right next to each other “distancing” by half a yard just enough to make the photo look unnatural but fuck all use apropos transmission. 

If we enter another lockdown and lose some privileges we deserve it tbh, or at least some do.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Tom said:

A lot of people don’t seem to be taking it seriously at all. I’ve seen loads arrogantly walking around shops without masks on, as if they’re making a point.

Stopped to get some petrol on Shields Road and the other 3 people in didn’t have masks on when I went to pay. 

Im seeing otherwise intelligent people pose with groups of friends. Right next to each other “distancing” by half a yard just enough to make the photo look unnatural but fuck all use apropos transmission. 

If we enter another lockdown and lose some privileges we deserve it tbh, or at least some do.

You’re a free-thinking tough guy if you don’t wear a mask and not one of the sheeple. Facebook says so 

29 minutes ago, Alex said:

You’re a free-thinking tough guy if you don’t wear a mask and not one of the sheeple. Facebook says so 

The problem is these is that it’s not just the but jobs being careless. :( 

14 minutes ago, Tom said:

The problem is these is that it’s not just the but jobs being careless. :( 

It’s not just the nut jobs who get their info off Facebook 

4 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

I'd just like to point out, in the interests of balance of fairness, there are 30 outside sports currently on the exemption list, including football at all levels :cuppa:

Not sure I count using a shotgun to shoot birds who are a bit shit at flying that have been flushed out of their hiding places as a sport like. ;) 

• Like 3

But I thought the countryside needs these rich lads going around shooting and hunting animals otherwise it would go bust ? I would hate to see that in my lifetime, just miles and miles of fields and trees and scrub and Moreland just sitting there looking pretty with no money...........devastating 

This is worth your time. Conclusion seems to be that this current wave is a lot different to the last one (at least so far), in a good, reassuring way. And this is mainstream, Sky News, not some wackjob. 

• Like 2

Interesting, but not entirely convinced because he didn't posit any reasons for the trends he was describing. Main thing was the disconnect between incidence rate and mortality compared with the first wave, prople don't seem to be dying so much. Why?

Younger more healthy demographic?

Better treatment?

A lot of at risk cohort already dead?

Virus is somehow less deadly?

Thing is, we're only in September. Its true winter I fear most. 

Yes. Once infected your body is hijacked into manufacturing many trillions of virions. The load you infect someone else with is dependent on whether you cough or sneeze, how close you are, and if you have a particularly high virion count yourself (e.g. are a super spreader). The former are modifiable, you can't change the latter and I don't see why that would change with time. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Renton said:

Interesting, but not entirely convinced because he didn't posit any reasons for the trends he was describing. Main thing was the disconnect between incidence rate and mortality compared with the first wave, prople don't seem to be dying so much. Why?

Better treatment?

Or maybe it’s not worked it’s way up yet

9606E7F0-A755-4BD3-9DC5-2468D85A3BEB.png

hopefully the virus is mutating into something less scary, and deaths remain low as cases rise in winter months. 

i suspect it's a lot to do with young people passing it around to each other as they go back to the pub, university etc while older and more vulnerable are still being cautious. 

16 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

hopefully the virus is mutating into something less scary, and deaths remain low as cases rise in winter months. 

i suspect it's a lot to do with young people passing it around to each other as they go back to the pub, university etc while older and more vulnerable are still being cautious. 

I'm not dismissing the social side of things but I'd also guess more young people are returning to work in people-facing jobs as well. 

1 hour ago, Renton said:

Better treatment?

https://www.cebm.net/covid-19/infectious-positive-pcr-test-result-covid-19/

The video below (the format looks a bit wackjob but the content is not dissimilar to the Sky News one - edit to clarify this. The content is different but the data used, ie cases up, no rise in deaths, is similar) suggests that the above link explains in part why we are seeing an increase in positive tests without an equivalent increase in hospitalizations and deaths. I'll let you read the CEBM piece cos it'll make more sense to you than it does to me, although I understood their conclusion. 

Video below puts some context around it and is only 8 minutes long. 

Edited by Gemmill
  • Like 1