Coronavirus

Anorthernsoul

4 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Why do you not hate your child? What’s wrong with you?

😁

I’ll be at work, mate. His dad is a teacher so he’ll be off too and can do the job at home ;) 

(Plus, my kid is weird. He’s 11 and it’s like living with a more sensible adult)

• Haha 2

I think there's a good argument for secondary or upper secondary to be locked down. The upper range of these kids should be able to self educate via videoconferencing. Allow their parents to continue working from home.

Not possible with primary school kids though. But also primary kids really don't seem to catch it or spread it in the same way. I'm in a 3 tier school and so far no cases in primary or middle, but some in secondary/6th form.

University students need to gradually withdraw to home and stay there. 

1 hour ago, Howmanheyman said:

I wonder, out of interest, how many on here have worked from home or still had to go in?

i've worked at home for the most part. have been into the office from time to time to record audio tracks in the studio. since the first lockdown i've been out on loads of reporting trips, which has been a massive relief. just getting out and speaking to real people instead of the endless interviews on zoom. 

1 hour ago, Renton said:

I've gone in the whole time, wife wfh. At what age can you leave kids to get on with it, I wonder? Honestly don't know. 

do i get away with 9 and 5? 

10 hours ago, Renton said:

I think there's a good argument for secondary or upper secondary to be locked down. The upper range of these kids should be able to self educate via videoconferencing. Allow their parents to continue working from home.

Not possible with primary school kids though. But also primary kids really don't seem to catch it or spread it in the same way. I'm in a 3 tier school and so far no cases in primary or middle, but some in secondary/6th form.

University students need to gradually withdraw to home and stay there. 

:lol:

Why don't you just narrow it down to your kids' exact year group as being the one that definitely needs to stay in school? 

• Haha 2

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-teaching-union-calls-for-schools-to-be-closed-as-part-of-england-lockdown-12120428

Referring to the latest ONS figures, Mr Courtney said 1% of primary school pupils and 2% of secondary students have COVID-19.

His union's analysis of the data suggests infection levels in primary schools are nine times higher than they were when term started in September - and 50 times higher in secondary schools.

It seems pointless locking the country down if your going to leave schools open knowing this. 

16 minutes ago, trooper said:

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-teaching-union-calls-for-schools-to-be-closed-as-part-of-england-lockdown-12120428

Referring to the latest ONS figures, Mr Courtney said 1% of primary school pupils and 2% of secondary students have COVID-19.

His union's analysis of the data suggests infection levels in primary schools are nine times higher than they were when term started in September - and 50 times higher in secondary schools.

It seems pointless locking the country down if your going to leave schools open knowing this. 

They're not locking down the country though, are they? Only cherry picking certain measures. 

12 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

They're not locking down the country though, are they? Only cherry picking certain measures. 

True but that's only because Boris didnt want to lose face by calling it a National Lockdown. I still think its madness to keep schools open though knowing this information. I think the teaching union have a very strong case for wanting schools closed. I can see school attendance dropping fairly sharpish if they dont close. 

1 hour ago, trooper said:

Firstly, this isn’t the full national lockdown that we saw earlier in the year. And to be fair to the cunts running the show, no European country has reintroduced blanket lockdowns we saw in spring. We know more about the virus now and our neighbours in Europe have also prioritised keeping schools open, for good reason.

Secondly, we’ll see if these restrictions are pointless or whether they help reduce the infection rate. Closing schools should really be a last resort, one which I’m sure will be taken at some point if needed.

I think the simplicity of the messaging probably will help and hopefully the public is more likely to comply.

The absolutely crucial point in all of this is fixing test and trace. We won’t ever get this thing under control until they sort it. 

I noticed he mentioned using the army for support purposes last night which is both interesting from both a taking it seriously at last pov and also how much it'll inspire the conspiracy nut jobs. 

2 minutes ago, NJS said:

I noticed he mentioned using the army for support purposes last night which is both interesting from both a taking it seriously at last pov and also how much it'll inspire the conspiracy nut jobs. 

I look after an NHSE building in Taunton, a group of officers from the Royal Marines stationed nearby were based there during the first lockdown . They did the local planning for test & trace. It’s a no brainier for me for the military to get involved. 

8 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Not sure how accurate this is? Am sure the Rt. Hon. member for McGillycuddy Reeks @ewerk  will be able to tell us :good:

If you cherry pick yesterday’s figure then it’s true. The figures have been heading down since lockdown was introduced and the R rate is currently at 1 but it’s too early to judge how much of a success it has been.

• Like 1