Coronavirus

Anorthernsoul

14 hours ago, Alex said:

I know some people work at Nissan who reckon it’s rife there like. Predictable, unfortunately 

I was up there last week, apparently about 23 a week are testing positive and they are advising turning off the App.

• Jaysus... 1

9 hours ago, Kid Dynamite said:

All corrupt bastards. I see Sunak plans to whack up capital gains tax to claw back some cash. The top rate of tax remains unchanged though and huge corporations are still allowed to tax dodge 

An increase in capital gains tax is going to mainly affect the wealthiest. I don't think you have to worry about the proceeds from your pinball machines.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ewerk said:

An increase in capital gains tax is going to mainly affect the wealthiest. I don't think you have to worry about the proceeds from your pinball machines.

The wealthiest will be more inclined to use tax avoidance, the little people will pay.

20 minutes ago, ewerk said:

They know England has a population of 56,000,000, right?

Capture.JPG

66 million-ish population divided by 5000 = 13200 days = 36 years :) (and you need 2 jabs 2 weeks apart) so 72 years :)

Edited by Toonpack

11 minutes ago, NJS said:

The wealthiest will be more inclined to use tax avoidance, the little people will pay.

The little people rarely pay any CGT. The wealthy can use various reliefs to reduce the tax but the idea behind Sunak's thinking is to limit these. We saw earlier this year that they reduced the lifetime allowance for entrepreneur's relief which didn't go far enough but more action of that type and going further is most likely to hit the top 5% rather than the little people.

2 hours ago, ewerk said:

Lots of working folk who own a 2nd property as a pension pot.

Its a shit tax anyway. If you buy something and it increases in value I'm not sure why you need to give a chunk to the government to spunk up the wall on PPE contracts for their mates.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

It's OK folks, we can relax, the bankers have found a way to pass it on to the little people after all :lol:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/nov/11/staff-who-work-from-home-after-pandemic-should-pay-more-tax

From the bank who handled Epstein and Trump’s nefarious earnings… there’s a shock. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Its a shit tax anyway. If you buy something and it increases in value I'm not sure why you need to give a chunk to the government to spunk up the wall on PPE contracts for their mates.

4m2x7t.jpg

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, Kid Dynamite said:

The people who own second properties take more than their fair share of the housing stock which makes it more difficult, and more expensive, for people to get on the property ladder. I think it is only fair that CGT on property sales is raised to the same level as income tax (and I say this a someone who owns more than one property).

• Like 1

I suppose the argument that still works in favour of the Swedish approach is that even if they haven't ended up with better outcomes, they've ended up with similar outcomes with much less disruption to people's lives. But obviously that goes out of the window if they have a winter that's far worse than here, people are slow to accept mask requirements finally being imposed, etc., which wouldn't be altogether surprising.