Coronavirus

Anorthernsoul

1 minute ago, ewerk said:

Pfizer ship them in freezer boxes with dry ice. As soon as they're put in they're good for up to ten days. The issue is our ability to have vaccines into people within 12 days of the vaccines entering the country. That should be manageable, we've had nine months to come up with a distribution plan.

Cannot believe you've just posted that :lol:

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, NJS said:

I agree to a point but if its correct that 99% of deaths are people over 50 and that's then skewed even further by age within that then I think doing over 80s first isn't a bad idea. 

We all want a sensible rollout with the aim of ending this as soon as possible but reducing the daily wince at the new deaths feels good to me. 

I know there's a lag on infections to deaths of course. 

Here's an interesting thought. Over 80s are most at risk but have least benefit as they have less life to live. I haven't got the data to do the calculations, but if you provided the vaccine using standard cost effectiveness methods, I am pretty sure we would not roll it out to this demographic first. I suspect the sweet spot in cost effectiveness is probably people aged around 60 years.

Is this thinking unethical? Well its basically how we ration every other treatment in the NHS that gets the attention of NICE. 

I don't think it's unethical at all - I think there's a huge difference between considered deliberations like that and the callous "they were going to die anyway" rhetoric of Telegraph columnists. 

As someone approaching your sweet spot I am keen to get it but I don't mind waiting a couple of months. 

• Like 3

It's got Maureen Lipman in there described as 'actor'. Shouldn't it be 'ex-actor' as the last thing I remember her appearing in* was those 'Ology' adverts for BT (?) around the late 80's? 

* Apart from the part she played in the removal of Jeremy Corbyn. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Howmanheyman said:

'Top Quizzer' Judith Keppel. 

'Panto star' Biggins.

'Scottish singer' Lulu.

:lol:

Is this from the Viz?

Chat king Michael Parkinson :lol:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Sonatine said:

Judging by his photo, I'd skip giving Michael Parkinson the jab.  I'll be surprised if he sees New Year looking at the state of him.

only thing he's king of these days is his care home by the looks of it 

2 hours ago, Howmanheyman said:

It's got Maureen Lipman in there described as 'actor'. Shouldn't it be 'ex-actor' as the last thing I remember her appearing in* was those 'Ology' adverts for BT (?) around the late 80's? 

* Apart from the part she played in the removal of Jeremy Corbyn. 

I was about to jump in and say "I'll have you know I saw her in an off-West End musical a few years ago and very good she was too", then I remembered that was Sheila Hancock.

(EDIT: Who is also not dead yet.)

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Sonatine said:

Judging by his photo, I'd skip giving Michael Parkinson the jab.  I'll be surprised if he sees New Year looking at the state of him.

Aye, just inject him with formaldehyde and save everyone the time and effort 

3 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

Chat king Michael Parkinson :lol:

You can tell people are really famous when you have to remind the public what they do (did) 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Alex said:

You can tell people are really famous when you have to remind the public what they do (did) 

It's like impressionists who start each new voice with "I'm [name], and...".  If you were any cop you wouldn't have to tell us. :dunno:  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Kid Dynamite said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/dec/08/oxford-astrazeneca-covid-vaccine-has-70-efficacy-full-trial-data-shows

Not a good sign if you're having to pool data from different trials to get to 70% efficacy. Little evidence in over 55s and ineffective in nearly a 3rd of patients 

Even that is better than the flu vaccine, but shouldn't they be doing more trials on the half dose first option, if that is so good?  I would have thought that, given it does not need the deep freezing of other vaccines, it still has a substantial role in combatting the virus.

Piers Morgan is a horrible bastard, but he's the only person in the media I've heard properly call out Hancock, Gove and Boris on how poorly they've managed the pandemic. He's just absolutely slaughtered Gove to his face this morning :lol: