Coronavirus

Anorthernsoul

5 hours ago, RobinRobin said:

Any idea how much of the population has now been infected by COVID, including those who have had it and recovered?  You may be getting herd immunity before you get the jab. 

Herd immunity doesn't exist, even those who have caught it can't be classed as immune.

5 hours ago, RobinRobin said:

Any idea how much of the population has now been infected by COVID, including those who have had it and recovered?  You may be getting herd immunity before you get the jab. 

almost sounds about right. i'm thankful i WFH, and am shielding. around where i live in the last 2 days traffic has gone way down. hopefully people are finally getting the message. though there are always some who really should know better. 

1 hour ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

Herd immunity doesn't exist, even those who have caught it can't be classed as immune.

do we know that for sure? doesn't bode well for the vaccine if that is the case. and what is the future if herd immunity isn't achievable - locking the country down every winter? 

14 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

do we know that for sure? doesn't bode well for the vaccine if that is the case. and what is the future if herd immunity isn't achievable - locking the country down every winter? 

Yes and the thought is that people will need a booster every couple of years.

They will need to vacinate 70% of the world's population and a number of years before they can even consider getting the same eradication as small pox.

And for the conspiracy theorists like Quiff, how is that for an instant money maker?!??

Edited by sammynb

1 hour ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

Don’t know... I’ve read in a few places that post infection immunity is six months but after being almost thrown out of a consultation by a gp on Monday afternoon am not so sure..

I was in to get the results of a blood test (my brother had polyps removed from his bowel, grandfather died from bowel cancer, thought I’d better get checked out)  He’d asked to see me. Rang the intercom, was allowed straight in, no questions asked re Covid symptoms or whether Id had it, and no temperature check.  Told doctor within a couple of minutes I’d had Covid over Christmas. He seemed ok as we discussed blood test results, also post Covid fatigue ( I’m now off this week having gone into work Monday; can’t stay awake in afternoons, not good when I need to drive up to 2 hours home from some sites I work at). I also  needed to talk about my asthma prescription which has changed recently and he suddenly got very agitated indeed, got up, opened the window, came back, sat down, got up again and said “I’m sorry I don’t think you should be here you’ll have to go we’ll continue this on the phone”  I told him I’d isolated for 10 days from first symptoms as track & trace instructed and that it was now 11 days from my positive test. No dice. Sling yer hook son :lol:

Edited by PaddockLad

8 minutes ago, sammynb said:

They will need to vacinate 70% of the world's population and a number of years before they can even consider getting the same eradication as small pox.

And for the conspiracy theorists like Quiff, how is that for an instant money maker?!??

From the WHO:

Will COVID-19 vaccines provide long-term protection?

It’s too early to know if COVID-19 vaccines will provide long-term protection. Additional research is needed to answer this question. However, it’s encouraging that available data suggest that most people who recover from COVID-19 develop an immune response that provides at least some period of protection against reinfection – although we’re still learning how strong this protection is, and how long it lasts.

Most COVID-19 vaccines being tested or reviewed now are using two dose regimens.

6 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

From the WHO:

Will COVID-19 vaccines provide long-term protection?

It’s too early to know if COVID-19 vaccines will provide long-term protection. Additional research is needed to answer this question. However, it’s encouraging that available data suggest that most people who recover from COVID-19 develop an immune response that provides at least some period of protection against reinfection – although we’re still learning how strong this protection is, and how long it lasts.

Most COVID-19 vaccines being tested or reviewed now are using two dose regimens.

Gloomy TBH no one fucking knows and most of the pharma companies are not backing long-term protection.

It is also the first time a vaccine of this sort (it's not based on a live vaccine) has ever been developed so there is no data to back up an educated guess.

The worrying thing is people have had it twice, so natural immunity obviously isn't occuring.

1 hour ago, sammynb said:

Gloomy TBH no one fucking knows and most of the pharma companies are not backing long-term protection.

It is also the first time a vaccine of this sort (it's not based on a live vaccine) has ever been developed so there is no data to back up an educated guess.

The worrying thing is people have had it twice, so natural immunity obviously isn't occuring.

There's a few case reports of this (repeat infections), nothing more. Out of the millions of people who have been infected, this is actually reassuring.

The Oxford AZ vaccine is quite conventional, and in fact live vaccines are not that common nowadays. I think covid will be a thing going forward but its significance will gradually wane as it becomes a weak, endemic infection like its cousins which cause common cold. 

Do you think taking the vaccine will be mandatory in this country? Or have I missed the info on that. I read the other day that 40% of French people are reluctant to take it and while the numbers in the UK aren't that bad, I think there's still a solid quarter of the population opposed.

Aye. Don't make it necessary by law, but make it so you need it to do lots of stuff, such as travel outside the country or be a public servant in any sense.

A point of note though relating to my comment above. AFAIK, there are no contraindications to these vaccines meaning everyone can take them. This contrasts with MMR, which is a live vaccine so some people can't take it, and are left vulnerable. These people are hostage to the selfish twats who can take it but don't and therefore herd immunity doesn't take hold. But with covid, the only person you are putting at risk once the vaccination program is complete is yourself. So personally they can get fucked and die for all I care. 

40 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Well, they shouldn’t be allowed to enjoy life when it returns back to any sort of normality. I’d suggest making it a mandatory jab since, as someone said, stupidity has reigned for far too long now. This needs to be the first step in stopping it 

Aye. I can’t believe how well stupidity is thriving. I think since Brexit people have lost their minds and populism has trumped intelligence even in extreme cases, such as a global pandemic. 

The messages from health organisations is pretty simple & easy to follow. The evidence that the disease is serious is pretty obvious and easy to digest.

Yet people insist on being wilfully stupid. 

1 hour ago, Tom said:

Aye. I can’t believe how well stupidity is thriving. I think since Brexit people have lost their minds and populism has trumped intelligence even in extreme cases, such as a global pandemic. 

And it's not going to go away.

5 hours ago, sammynb said:

Comspiracy theorist?