Coronavirus

Anorthernsoul

to answer your question, i don't know if we should unlock next month as planned. it would be prudent to wait to see if the trend of low deaths and hospital admission continues. on the other hand, lots of business and livelihoods are at risk if we delay further. i do think there is reason to be cautiously optimistic that the vaccines are working though. 

15 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

to answer your question, i don't know if we should unlock next month as planned. it would be prudent to wait to see if the trend of low deaths and hospital admission continues. on the other hand, lots of business and livelihoods are at risk if we delay further. i do think there is reason to be cautiously optimistic that the vaccines are working though. 

I guess we will know better in a few weeks. Yes livelihoods are at risk but a lot of peoples lives may be at risk as well. It now seems to be tearing through kids  & young adults at the minute. Obviously they will in turn be passing it on to adults wether vaccinated or not. We may not see large numbers of deaths/hospitalisations we don't know. But itscnot a very good scenario for fully unlocking just yet. I obviously have no idea what the solution is but these high infection numbers are concerning 

1 hour ago, trooper said:

I guess we will know better in a few weeks. Yes livelihoods are at risk but a lot of peoples lives may be at risk as well. It now seems to be tearing through kids  & young adults at the minute. Obviously they will in turn be passing it on to adults wether vaccinated or not. We may not see large numbers of deaths/hospitalisations we don't know. But itscnot a very good scenario for fully unlocking just yet. I obviously have no idea what the solution is but these high infection numbers are concerning 

That’s the thing though, isn’t it - the vaccine means most people aren’t getting seriously sick the way they were during the first two waves. As long as that trend continues, and a scary new variant doesn’t emerge, I think we probably should continue to move towards reopening.

Will it make much difference at this point anyway? Things are already pretty unlocked, people are freely visiting each others homes. I think delta is so contagious it can't be contained by even our most stringent lock down rules. The prevalence makes me nervous but at this point i think we have to let go and have trust in the vaccines. Hopefully the virus will run out of hosts and case numbers will stabilise and ultimately fall, and admission rates and fatalities will stay low. 

• Like 2

Curevac’s vaccine does only have an efficiency of 48% which shows how lucky we were with the vaccines that became available first. But the weaker efficiency might also be down with the level of variations where it is difficult to keep up with.

7 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

That’s the thing though, isn’t it - the vaccine means most people aren’t getting seriously sick the way they were during the first two waves. As long as that trend continues, and a scary new variant doesn’t emerge, I think we probably should continue to move towards reopening.

Just don’t open the borders though.

This from BBC News website...

Ten-week Covid decline over in Europe, warns WHO

Covid infections are rising in Europe and a decline in cases over the past 10 weeks has come to an end, the World Health Organization says.

WHO Europe head Hans Kluge has warned of a "new wave in the WHO European region unless we remain disciplined", citing the spread of the Delta variant and an increase in mixing, travel and easing of restrictions.

Portugal recorded its highest number of daily infections since February yesterday and Spain has seen a steep rise in its incidence rate among people in their twenties.

Russia is struggling to cope with record numbers of Covid deaths: today it reported 672 deaths in the past 24 hours, with infections surging partly because of a poor take-up of Russian vaccines.

A majority of the latest infections in Finland have been blamed on supporters returning home from St Petersburg, where cases of the Delta variant are surging.

But infection rates in Germany are still very low: another 892 cases were reported in the past 24 hours, and the incidence rate in the past week is down to 5.1 cases per 100,000 people.

In the UK on Wednesday, 26,068 new cases were reported - the highest figure since 29 January.

For the last couple of days, the deaths figure has been down on where it was this time last week, whilst cases have continued to rise. 

The cases figure is not the number to be focusing on. 

• Jaysus... 1

14 hours ago, Renton said:

Will it make much difference at this point anyway? Things are already pretty unlocked, people are freely visiting each others homes. I think delta is so contagious it can't be contained by even our most stringent lock down rules. The prevalence makes me nervous but at this point i think we have to let go and have trust in the vaccines. Hopefully the virus will run out of hosts and case numbers will stabilise and ultimately fall, and admission rates and fatalities will stay low. 

That's what Renton said yesterday. Stop looking for an argument where there isn't one. :razz:

16 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

For the last couple of days, the deaths figure has been down on where it was this time last week, whilst cases have continued to rise. 

You're probably right at the present time. But we can only say this with the benefit of the empirical data that's been reported over the last few days and weeks. Fortunately, its becoming clear now the link between cases and serious illness has been massively weakened. The reasonable concern was that delta didn't exist when the RCTs were performed, so that was an unknown which has now been addressed. Is there a case now to wind down the diagnostic facilities for this I wonder (which cost a fortune) or do we need to keep it under full surveillance? 

2 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

That's what Renton said yesterday. Stop looking for an argument where there isn't one. :razz:

So he's saying what I said a few weeks ago and he argued with me about :lol: brilliant.

What AbOuT LoNg CoViD ThOuGH?

Edited by TheGingerQuiff

1 minute ago, Renton said:

You're probably right at the present time. But we can only say this with the benefit of the empirical data that's been reported over the last few days and weeks. Fortunately, its becoming clear now the link between cases and serious illness has been massively weakened. The reasonable concern was that delta didn't exist when the RCTs were performed, so that was an unknown which has now been addressed. Is there a case now to wind down the diagnostic facilities for this I wonder (which cost a fortune) or do we need to keep it under full surveillance? 

What does RCT mean? 

There's still a chance that this cunt comes roaring back with some shithouse variant that does people in, but the best time to relax restrictions has to be now when it's summer and when the going looks good on hospitalisation and deaths. 

Looking around the world it appears that we were getting Delta whether we stopped flights from India or not. Look at Australia and how strict their quarantine has been. 

I don't think there's any need to open large indoor events though. I can't see how that restriction impinges on too many in society and isn't a massive ask for the government to continue support in the meantime.

14 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Hospital admissions is the key figure. It’s always been about protecting the NHS vs trying to get the economy going. As long as hospitals continue to cope we will will continue to unlock.

This government has fucked a lot up, it reacts too late time and time again, the care homes scandal was horrific etc … but tbf to them they have taken the steps needed so far to protect the NHS - we never ended up in a situation like Italy had at the start of the pandemic when doctors had to choose who got to live and who was left to die. 

19 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

go easy on him, he's suffering from a touch of roid rage

2 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Hospital admissions is the key figure. It’s always been about protecting the NHS vs trying to get the economy going. As long as hospitals continue to cope we will will continue to unlock.

This government has fucked a lot up, it reacts too late time and time again, the care homes scandal was horrific etc … but tbf to them they have taken the steps needed so far to protect the NHS - we never ended up in a situation like Italy had at the start of the pandemic when doctors had to choose who got to live and who was left to die. 

RIGHT WING NUTJOBTHICKCUNT

1 hour ago, ewerk said:

Looking around the world it appears that we were getting Delta whether we stopped flights from India or not. Look at Australia and how strict their quarantine has been. 

I don't think there's any need to open large indoor events though. I can't see how that restriction impinges on too many in society and isn't a massive ask for the government to continue support in the meantime.

We got lucky in that the vaccines work against the variant, nearly fully if you've had 2 jabs. But if Johnson hadn't seeded this we would have very low prevalence now like Germany and we could have fully opened up on schedule. So just looking at it economically, not closing the border with India probably costs us a few extra billion.