Coronavirus

Anorthernsoul

51 minutes ago, trooper said:

UK cases could hit 100,000 a day this summer, Sajid Javid admits. Another bit of reassurance from this clown 

it's part of the plan. they want the young to get it so they don't have to vaccinate them

Just now, Dr Gloom said:

it's part of the plan. they want the young to get it so they don't have to vaccinate them

I agree but I don't really understand given the purchase surpluses. 

19 minutes ago, trooper said:

Remember the police being called to Bournemouth beach last summer due to overcrowding. 

_113607315_gettyimages-1222843186.jpg

there is no evidence to suggest it transmits outdoors. remember the BLM protests last summer? thousands  and thousands of people marching shoulder to shoulder in London's narrow streets didn't lead to an increase in numbers 

21 minutes ago, trooper said:

Remember the police being called to Bournemouth beach last summer due to overcrowding. 

Yes but there was no surge in cases as a result. The chances of catching covid in an outdoor setting are very low.

1 minute ago, NJS said:

I agree but I don't really understand given the purchase surpluses. 

they don't want to give them AZ though because of the blood clot risk, do they? I imagine they've got half an eye on autumn boosters for the elderly and vulnerable 

Health Secretary following the pattern for the last lot of PMs whereby they’ve somehow managed to achieve the impossible in being progressively worse than the predecessors

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Yes but there was no surge in cases as a result. The chances of catching covid in an outdoor setting are very low.

Nearly 2,000 Covid cases in Scotland have been linked to people watching Euro 2020 football matches.

Public Health Scotland said two thirds of the 1,991 cases were people who travelled to London for Scotland's game with England on 18 June. 

It’s good to see that, as we fully reopen, half the bars in the Newcastle area are closing due to COVID outbreaks amongst members of staff 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Alex said:

Health Secretary following the pattern for the last lot of PMs whereby they’ve somehow managed to achieve the impossible in being progressively worse than the predecessors

Whitty is no longer the loudest voice in Johnson's ear...its now Javid & Sunak...both ex bankers...

• Like 1

What I find odd is how they think this can be reconciled with their expressed intention to make foreign travel happen again any time soon. No one's going to let us in once we hit those kind of rates.

1 hour ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

People need to stop pissing their pants. The vulnerable are protected and loads of the rest of us have had the vaccine. It's a bad cold for kids. 

if it mutates into something that the vaccines don't protect us against then it's back to square one - absolutely the worst case scenario when we're so close to getting out freedom back - no one wants this. i agree that we should be moving towards the great unlocking but to go back to business as usual, with no masks or anything, while it is still spreading so rapidly is a roll of the dice. 

15 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

It's always going to be around and will continue to mutate. We'll have scientists monitoring avtively that. In the meantime we can be fannies or live normally.

if it mutates and the vaccine no longer offers protection, you may end up in another situation like we were in ast the start of the year where the NHS is close to being overwhelmed and we return to lockdown - no one wants this.

you can go back to something approaching normal life, while still giving the virus the respect it deserves as long prevalence is so high. 

the no mask/business as usual approach is an admission they're going for herd immunity. great if it pays off, but it's clearly a gamble. 

1. Masks should still be compulsory on all public transport & in food shops of all kinds ie essential services. NHS should continue to offer phone calls first. This protects essential services employees in their place of work.

2. Other employers may well keep restrictions in place to prevent being taken to court for lack of duty of care towards employees should the contract the virus at work

3. All social centres should be up to the individual.  I won't be going to a pub with 20/30 somethings all snogging the face off each other but you can bet the employees of such places will be pointing out the issues I've outlined in 2. should they feel unsafe in that environment 

In other words, it's a fuckin mess as it stands, zero thought has been put into it. 

9 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

if it mutates and the vaccine no longer offers protection, you may end up in another situation like we were in ast the start of the year where the NHS is close to being overwhelmed and we return to lockdown - no one wants this.

you can go back to something approaching normal life, while still giving the virus the respect it deserves as long prevalence is so high. 

the no mask/business as usual approach is an admission they're going for herd immunity. great if it pays off, but it's clearly a gamble. 

Even if we do live like fannies, it could still mutate in another country and get into the country. There has to be an end game and we are there, the health service is coping. As long as the vaccines continue to update to more recent variants then we should be able to avoid a doomsday variant that is so different that it escapes a vaccine. But we need to cross the doomsday bridge if we come to it. 

4 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

Even if we do live like fannies, it could still mutate in another country and get into the country. There has to be an end game and we are there, the health service is coping. As long as the vaccines continue to update to more recent variants then we should be able to avoid a doomsday variant that is so different that it escapes a vaccine. But we need to cross the doomsday bridge if we come to it. 

The government had a chance to stop the worst excesses of the delta varient by closing the air border with India at the point when they put Pakistan and Bangladesh on the red list. They didn't do it till 3 weeks later during which time 20k people came in from India. This is because Johnson wants a decent trade deal with India to make up for the shit show caused by Brexit. Now the same man is suggesting we drop all restrictions just as the cases of the varient he let into the country en masse are rocketing. 

I don't trust him, he's made a cunt of this at every single point during the last 16 months. Now you're just going along with it when there are perfectly sound scientific and medical grounds for keeping certain  restrictions in place. It's got disaster written all over it again, anyone with an ounce of common sense can see it....

• Like 3