Coronavirus

Anorthernsoul

1 hour ago, Renton said:

Informative post, cheers. I heard today that the R0 for delta is reckoned to be between 6 and 8, compared to around 2 for the wild type. Homestly think its going to be very difficult to contain it even with strict lock downs. The risk benefit ratio for AZ improves with rising prevalence, but when you consider it takes 3 weeks for the first dose to offfer any protection, and 10 weeks until the optimal time for the second dose, then its not a suitable intervention against outbreaks. I'd recommend all over 40s get the AZ asap. 

That's what they're attempting to do now, but the damage that has been done with the previous mixed messages has really impacted on the general public's confidence in AZ. Once it's gone it's hard to get back especially when pfizer is around and championed as the superior option. They have been opening up more and more vaccination sites and offering walk up vaccination locations targeted at specific vocations which is helping. It's getting through the willing vaccine participants, or those who need to do it in order to resume work, the bigger problem will be once we start getting to the vaccine hesitant and those who outright refuse and/or on the lunatic fringe that don't believe in COVID.

They're shortening the second dose to around 6 weeks for AZ. Personally I've had a booking in for pfizer from the start of June and the first dose is not until early September. I was not able to book AZ at the time as it was only allowed for those 60+. In fact I only just scraped in by a few months for being eligible for any vaccine at all at the time. I could have sought out an AZ vaccine earlier but I haven't for a couple of reasons - firstly I'm able to work fully from home so I'm very rarely in the community (maybe once a week for half an hour for grocery shopping), secondly when I floated the idea my other half shut it down.

Agree wholly that it will be very difficult to contain, that's the reality we're living currently in Sydney exacerbated by the hesitancy of the NSW government to move quickly with a lockdown. As a result we're now seven weeks into lockdown with no end in sight. Not fun when you have two young kids doing remote learning.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, OTF said:

Another day of record cases for NSW :(

Gladys is really doing a good job for the PM of NSW, isn't she?  Only locking down separate LGAs at a time is like thinking that cigarette smoke respects no smoking areas. 

Keep well (says the smug, isolated twat in WA :smile:)

2 hours ago, RobinRobin said:

Gladys is really doing a good job for the PM of NSW, isn't she?  Only locking down separate LGAs at a time is like thinking that cigarette smoke respects no smoking areas. 

Keep well (says the smug, isolated twat in WA :smile:)

Yeah shocking, they missed the boat and won't acknowledge their failures. They've shifted the onus onto the population to get vaccinated as a diversionary tactic and because they have nothing else to turn to. It's almost as if they're politicians. Embarrasingly they keep saying they expect cases to rise for a few more days, as though after that they will magically hit a wall and start dropping. In the meantime it's leaking to regional areas (and Canberra) because all it takes is a few self entitled cunts to fuck a whole community.

WA has had a good run of it because you're so far from everything and basically said FU to other states and Aussies overseas leaving the east coast and mainly NSW to shoulder the burden of return travellers. It was working ok until the first Melbourne outbreak and once that was under control until the current Sydney one which the government absolutely butchered the approach to. Sydney being delta is the big factor that will mean the cat is out of the bag and all eggs are now in the vaccination basket.

Plenty of people are doing it tougher than I am, so always have to think of that when feeling down about the whole state of affairs.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, strawb said:

I know he is doing a massive barn conversion in hale or somewhere super posh at the minute but it’s weird he never got back at all. Soz mate

No worries, they're all busy because everyone's been staring at the same 4 walls for ages. Builder mate in Yorkshire is charging 300% to put people off and it isn't.

How's everything looking over there? The case numbers seem to be a bit all over the place with a pretty steady flow of death. We're heading to a similar, though smaller scale case load with out current outbreak (nearing 500 cases a day in NSW). Our vaccination numbers are much lower that yours (about 50% have had at least one dose, only about 30% both) but thankfully high for the elderly.

Particularly interested in the impact on hospitals as that is where the bottle-necks will be; ICU capacity and ventilator numbers.

We can sustain this level of caseload but it will inevitably have an impact on other services. The waiting lists for hospital treatment, oncology, cardiovascular, orthopaedics, are horrendous and I just can't see how we can get on top of them with the level of funding we have.

I got a text yesterday saying I am going to be invited for third pfizer jab and a flu jab in one session. I'm going for it like cos I'm nails when it come to vaccines. 

• Like 1

We've just jumped straight to Level 4 (full lockdown) with a case of (most likely delta) in the community in Auckland.

Three days of level 4 before a reassessment. 

3 hours ago, Andrew said:

We've just jumped straight to Level 4 (full lockdown) with a case of (most likely delta) in the community in Auckland.

Three days of level 4 before a reassessment. 

Good move. 8 weeks into our slow to act lockdown here with seemingly more ahead than behind us.

9 hours ago, Gemmill said:

These southern hemisphere softies. I bet you lads wear elbow and kneepads, and wrist protectors when you go out on your skateboards. 

Skateboards are banned bro 

Smashed the new record for cases in NSW today - 633 in a state population of 8.2 million.

Big numbers getting vaccinated but there will be some rough times in the coming weeks and months.

To put the 633 cases into context in total across the country there has been approx 41,000 cases. There's only been a couple of days nationally where the count has been higher - during the peak of the last wave/outbreak in Melbourne, and that was not delta. Melbourne are treading water but hopefully trending in the right direction bringing in a quick lockdown but having to work with morons in the community like those at a well to do engagement party where 70 people attended that has resulted in 7 cases to this point.

In NSW our largest hospitals are scrambling to stand-up new covid wards as the existing ones have reached capacity.  Elective surgeries are on hold both at public and private facilities so that there are adequate staffing levels for the anticipated caseload.

• Sad 1

You'd played it so well up until this point but it looks like you've been lulled into a false sense of security which has meant little urgency in your vaccination programme. No one can keep covid out forever, particularly with this delta variant.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, ewerk said:

You'd played it so well up until this point but it looks like you've been lulled into a false sense of security which has meant little urgency in your vaccination programme. No one can keep covid out forever, particularly with this delta variant.

That's a pretty accurate summary. As I mentioned earlier thankfully the vast majority of the elderly have been vaccinated so that should limit the deaths, otherwise it would be undoing all of the work that has been put in to this point.

So close, if only there had been a hard and fast lockdown in Sydney when the non-vaccinated allegedly non-mask wearing limo driver who had been transporting international flight crews tested positive. That was 16th of June. That person had spread it in a large shopping centre and from there it spread to a large party further west. Initially there was a stay at home order for four local government areas issued on the 25th of June. More than a week after the initial case. That turned into the start of the actual lockdown the following day and here we are in the back half of August with record cases and no end to the lockdown in site.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, OTF said:

Smashed the new record for cases in NSW today - 633 in a state population of 8.2 million.

Big numbers getting vaccinated but there will be some rough times in the coming weeks and months.

To put the 633 cases into context in total across the country there has been approx 41,000 cases. There's only been a couple of days nationally where the count has been higher - during the peak of the last wave/outbreak in Melbourne, and that was not delta. Melbourne are treading water but hopefully trending in the right direction bringing in a quick lockdown but having to work with morons in the community like those at a well to do engagement party where 70 people attended that has resulted in 7 cases to this point.

In NSW our largest hospitals are scrambling to stand-up new covid wards as the existing ones have reached capacity.  Elective surgeries are on hold both at public and private facilities so that there are adequate staffing levels for the anticipated caseload.

Minor league stuff. Come back when you’re hitting 20k new cases every day and 130k deaths if you want to mix with the COVID big boys 

You missed the bit about spunking billions on PPE from mates that doesn't work, even more billions on an absolute joke of a test and track system, Nightingale hospitals that can't be staffed, and a PM boasting about bodies piling high. Complete amateurs. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Minor league stuff. Come back when you’re hitting 20k new cases every day and 130k deaths if you want to mix with the COVID big boys 

You lot have had it a hell of a lot worse, and that's an understatement, I've been following through this thread, google and (don't laugh) Gogglebox. Absolute joke how things have gone there, and yet the UK is now held up as an example for the freedoms we can expect with higher vaccinations. Meanwhile your cases are super high still, and there's what should be an unacceptable level of deaths. That's the unavoidable reality when it's out of control. Imagine the potential to devastate the medical system without as high a level of vaccinations... that's what we're staring down the barrel of. Combine that with the division of the nation along state and political lines and it's not fun.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, OTF said:

You lot have had it a hell of a lot worse, and that's an understatement, I've been following through this thread, google and (don't laugh) Gogglebox. Absolute joke how things have gone there, and yet the UK is now held up as an example for the freedoms we can expect with higher vaccinations. Meanwhile your cases are super high still, and there's what should be an unacceptable level of deaths. That's the unavoidable reality when it's out of control. Imagine the potential to devastate the medical system without as high a level of vaccinations... that's what we're staring down the barrel of. Combine that with the division of the nation along state and political lines and it's not fun.

It's funny how you get used to it like. Still getting nearly 100 deaths a day, and its like, meh, nowadays. I mean that's a real person dying every 15 minutes and yet people think its over. I hope you never get in that position. 

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Renton said:

You missed the bit about spunking billions on PPE from mates that doesn't work, even more billions on an absolute joke of a test and track system, Nightingale hospitals that can't be staffed, and a PM boasting about bodies piling high. Complete amateurs. 

Don't forget Boris not caring about deaths if they're elderly. Pretty unfortunate to be burdened with a self obsessed leader who can't organise his own hair let alone the well-being of a nation during a global pandemic.

2 minutes ago, Renton said:

It's funny how you get used to it like. Still getting nearly 100 deaths a day, and its like, meh, nowadays. I mean that's a real person dying every 15 minutes and yet people think its over. I hope you never get in that position. 

Me too, it's tragic. We're still in triple digits for total deaths (probably not for long) with the vast majority of those coming from the Melbourne outbreak last year that ravaged some aged care locations. With these high numbers there will be a lag and then the deaths will start rising.