Coronavirus

Anorthernsoul

2 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

the current mutation appears based on the limited data so far to be less deadly than delta, which itself was no more deadly than previous strains - this is positive. does that mean we can say with confidence that there isn't still a chance that something more unpleasant might mutate out of parts of the world which are largely unvaccinated? you are clearly better informed on this than i am. happy days if so

I just don't think we have much choice. It's like a painting the Forth bridge. By the time we've vaccinated everybody globally, the virus will probably have mutated enough to require an altered booster (possibly just has with Omicron). But the only vaccines that can be modified quickly enough are probably the mRNA varieties which need cryogenic storage (so much for the "British" AZ vaccine btw). I don't see how they can be rolled out in sub-Saharan Africa. So as you say we just hope the theoretical evolution occurs as predicted. 

9 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Whatever, Forbidden Planet. 

:lol: One thing Mrs Fish is insistent on. I can have the odd bit of NUFC stuff in the basement, but anything comic related is verboten. 

I mean, I'm not one for life size IronMan suits, but c'mon, I could get a little wall space for this, right? 

106910.webp

Nice to see everyone's on the same page

Now don't invite more than FIVE guests to your Christmas party: Confusion at yet more government mixed messaging on festive dos as minister issues dire warning despite PM saying don't axe bookings while venues face onslaught of cancellations

• Hospitality chiefs and Tory MPs believe mixed messages are having 'chilling effect on consumer confidence' 

• Boris Johnson has repeatedly said there is no need to axe Christmas parties and people should 'live their lives' 

• Sajid Javid was the first to spark anger from hospitality bosses after he urged partygoers to take a Covid test

• Pensions Secretary Therese Coffey went further, saying there 'shouldn't be much snogging under mistletoe'

• It emerged that office Christmas parties are already being postponed and employees told to work from home 

Just now, trooper said:

• Pensions Secretary Therese Coffey went further, saying there 'shouldn't be much snogging under mistletoe'

Especially if you're standing under the mistletoe with Therese Coffey.

1 minute ago, ewerk said:

That seems reasonable. You can put it up alongside that butterfly painting you did when you were four.

My mam still has shit like that in a box. Whenever we visit she asks if I want it, I say no, so she puts it away again. Doesn't throw it out, just keeps it. Like in 5 months time I'm going to have a change of heart and desperately want that shit poem I wrote in year 5...

31 minutes ago, trooper said:

• Sajid Javid was the first to spark anger from hospitality bosses after he urged partygoers to take a Covid test

This one puzzles me. Isn't it just good form to take a lateral flow before mixing with lots of people? Are we not all doing this already? Is this becoming an "AIBU" Mumsnet post? :ninja:  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, The Fish said:

My mam still has shit like that in a box. Whenever we visit she asks if I want it, I say no, so she puts it away again. Doesn't throw it out, just keeps it. Like in 5 months time I'm going to have a change of heart and desperately want that shit poem I wrote in year 5...

We've kept some of that because it's hilarious. The better half has a piece from primary school where he wrote "My mummy's name is Sally and her hobby is smoking."

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

This one puzzles me. Isn't it just good form to take a lateral flow before mixing with lots of people? Are we not all doing this already? Is this becoming an "AIBU" Mumsnet post? :ninja:  

There’s had to be a disclaimer posted on our Christmas party poster now too so apparently not. Not a chance I’m turning up anyway but even less so at the minute. Bring on lockdown, I’m sick of going out in shit weather.

5 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

The other thing is, the hospitality industry is in large part in such a mess because of restrictions not being taken in time previously to erm, protect the hospitality industry. 

We had a virtual Christmas party last year and it was fucking tragic. Everyone in party hats, terrible quizzes, bingo, excruciating awkward silences. 

If I'm forced to go to a Christmas party this year, I think I'd rather take my chances with Covid. 

7 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

We had a virtual Christmas party last year and it was fucking tragic. Everyone in party hats, terrible quizzes, bingo, excruciating awkward silences. 

If I'm forced to go to a Christmas party this year, I think I'd rather take my chances with Covid. 

We had a virtual Christmas meal, which was about as fun as it sounds. Dictionary definition of forced jollity 

Unless something really nasty comes along I think you just have to get on with your life.

I wear a mask when required but am happy enough being in pubs before the match. I am particularly fussy about using bacterial hand wash after using a petrol pump, but that’s about it.

42 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

We've kept some of that because it's hilarious. The better half has a piece from primary school where he wrote "My mummy's name is Sally and her hobby is smoking."

My mum genuinely has a 'letter' I wrote to her because she grounded me and forbid me from taking part in the school play/nativity/talent show. Can't remember the crime, but clearly I felt the punishment was over the top. I think I asked why she hated me and told her she was 'ruining my life'.

Quiff and CT would be proud of the flounce.

:lol:

• Haha 4

37 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Same here - complete with best Xmas jumper vote using teams. Fucking tragic is correct. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gemmill said:

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

We had a virtual Christmas meal, which was about as fun as it sounds. Dictionary definition of forced jollity 

1 hour ago, NJS said:

Same here - complete with best Xmas jumper vote using teams. Fucking tragic is correct. 

I'll not moan about the Cheerios this year. :lol:

• Haha 5