Coronavirus

Anorthernsoul

Unbelievable 

Under Plan B, which was enacted by Boris Johnson on Wednesday, face coverings will become compulsory in most public indoor venues from Friday, including cinemas, theatres and places of worship, but not gyms, bars or restaurants.

The PM on Wednesday said there was an exemption for singing.

39 minutes ago, Tom said:

Lass at work has come down with Covid, 34, double jabbed, healthy weight, doesn’t smoke or drink and it’s absolutely knackered her :o 

proper bad.

Ah shit. Is it in her lungs? 

A colleague of mine had it quite bad recently. It was her third bout of it unbelievably but by far the worst one. No breathing issues (thanks vaccine) but she said it was the worst three weeks of her life - two weeks in bed with no appetite then a week to get her strength back.  

13 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

A colleague of mine had it quite bad recently. It was her third bout of it unbelievably but by far the worst one. No breathing issues (thanks vaccine) but she said it was the worst three weeks of her life - two weeks in bed with no appetite then a week to get her strength back.  

makes you wonder why people are still losing their minds over it. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Renton said:

it was a bad two week illness. unpleasant if you're one of the unlucky ones, no question, but the vaccines are working. i do think we need to take a breath - this is a very different place to this time last year.

5 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

it was a bad two week illness. unpleasant if you're one of the unlucky ones, no question, but the vaccines are working. i do think we need to take a breath - this is a very different place to this time last year.

3 weeks: "worst three weeks of her life". Sounds nasty. And thuis in a lass who is double vacced and had it 3 times!

But the real reason healthcare professionals are worried is because this thing is ridiculously contagious and simple mathematics point to the NHS being put under enormous levels of stress. Which means should you or your family need the NHS this winter for any reason, you're out of luck. We can't as a society just ignore this. Omicron is a kick in the balls. 

38 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

I’m not exactly sure but she’s absolutely goosed. Her husband has it too who smokes/drinks a lot so good luck to him.

8 minutes ago, Renton said:

3 weeks: "worst three weeks of her life". Sounds nasty. And thuis in a lass who is double vacced and had it 3 times!

But the real reason healthcare professionals are worried is because this thing is ridiculously contagious and simple mathematics point to the NHS being put under enormous levels of stress. Which means should you or your family need the NHS this winter for any reason, you're out of luck. We can't as a society just ignore this. Omicron is a kick in the balls. 

she said it was the worst illness of her life, yeah. but she also had it two times previously - once was a mild illness, the other time she was asymptomatic and only knew she had it after taking a weekly LFT for work.

if the nhs is close to being overwhelmed then tighter restrictions are absolutely the right move. i agree. are we anywhere near that now? i dunno. my sister and brother in law are both doctors, one is an infectious diseases consultant, and neither have suggested that is the case yet. 

one thing i will say is the restrictions johnson introduced yesterday are an absolute piss-take and so transparent. they won't have any meaningful impact and are purely designed to distract from party-gate. there's no way he would have done anything before christmas if he wasn't desperate for a dead cat. 

14 minutes ago, Tom said:

I’m not exactly sure but she’s absolutely goosed. Her husband has it too who smokes/drinks a lot so good luck to him.

fingers crossed they're both ok. this illness can still be an absolute shitter for the unlucky ones 

5 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

she said it was the worst illness of her life, yeah. but she also had it two times previously - once was a mild illness, the other time she was asymptomatic and only knew she had it after taking a weekly LFT for work.

if the nhs is close to being overwhelmed then tighter restrictions are absolutely the right move. i agree. are we anywhere near that now? i dunno. my sister and brother in law are both doctors, one is an infectious diseases consultant, and neither have suggested that is the case yet. 

one thing i will say is the restrictions johnson introduced yesterday are an absolute piss-take and so transparent. they won't have any meaningful impact and are purely designed to distract from party-gate. there's no way he would have done anything before christmas if he wasn't desperate for a dead cat. 

Yes, its pretty much the case now its known the NHS is facing huge stress. With exponential increase its always better to act sooner than later. Not just for health outcomes but economically too. I agree the present restrictions will do bot all and I'm not actually suggesting a complete lockdown either, I don't think that's an option. But I am worried about the NHS and in particular the effect of this on the management of non-covid diseases. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Renton said:

Yes, its pretty much the case now its known the NHS is facing huge stress. With exponential increase its always better to act sooner than later. Not just for health outcomes but economically too. I agree the present restrictions will do bot all and I'm not actually suggesting a complete lockdown either, I don't think that's an option. But I am worried about the NHS and in particular the effect of this on the management of non-covid diseases. 

if the the nhs is close to being overwhelmed then taking measures to prevent that happening (return to social distancing, wfh mandates etc) is absolutely the right thing to do.

is that definitely where we're heading though? it doesn't seem clear to me that that is the case. what is clear is johnson will gamble on the boosters and general immunity being enough. i hope it is enough but it was last time he rolled the dice on it. 

remember when we unlocked in the summer there was that moment where loads of people shat the bed, it seemed like cases were rising exponentially again, but then cases and deaths just plateaued at a level that we all grew accustomed to being normal and we tolerated it because life was able to go on and the nhs coped. 

1 minute ago, Dr Gloom said:

if the the nhs is close to being overwhelmed then taking measures to prevent that happening (return to social distancing, wfh mandates etc) is absolutely the right thing to do.

is that definitely where we're heading though? it doesn't seem clear to me that that is the case. what is clear is johnson will gamble on the boosters and general immunity being enough. i hope it is enough but it was last time he rolled the dice on it. 

remember when we unlocked in the summer there was that moment where loads of people shat the bed, it seemed like cases were rising exponentially again, but then cases and deaths just plateaued at a level that we all grew accustomed to being normal and we tolerated it because life was able to go on and the nhs coped. 

NHS can barely cope in a good winter without covid. It's not coping now for many reasons, ambulance coverage is shocking. Also social care - my dad is stuck in an NHS rehab home taking up a bed but can't be shifted because there is no space in any care home here (including expensive private facilities). It's a strange one tolerating 100 to 200 deaths per day like, I think this will triple by January, maybe more. Hospitalisation in South Africa tripled in just a week (accepting all the variables that mean you can't compare directly). 

1 minute ago, Renton said:

NHS can barely cope in a good winter without covid. It's not coping now for many reasons, ambulance coverage is shocking. Also social care - my dad is stuck in an NHS rehab home taking up a bed but can't be shifted because there is no space in any care home here (including expensive private facilities). It's a strange one tolerating 100 to 200 deaths per day like, I think this will triple by January, maybe more. Hospitalisation in South Africa tripled in just a week (accepting all the variables that mean you can't compare directly). 

sorry to hear about your dad. i hope he gets into a care home sooner rather than later.

let's put aside the fact we're being led by a mendacious moron, what would you do? do you think we need tighter restrictions now? or do you take a punt on our high level of vaccination keeping this thing at bay?

locking down because of covid also increases pressure on the NHS and public health in other ways that are well documented. 

I dunno man. I do know that i'm bastard sick of talking about it. i wish this virus would read the room and just fuck off already

20 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

sorry to hear about your dad. i hope he gets into a care home sooner rather than later.

let's put aside the fact we're being led by a mendacious moron, what would you do? do you think we need tighter restrictions now? or do you take a punt on our high level of vaccination keeping this thing at bay?

locking down because of covid also increases pressure on the NHS and public health in other ways that are well documented. 

I dunno man. I do know that i'm bastard sick of talking about it. i wish this virus would read the room and just fuck off already

I agree. Fucking sick of it, almost 2 years now. It's all the practical things I have to do, constant lateral flow testing and paperwork just to see my Dad who is held like a prisoner that do me in. I'm not even scared the virus will seriosuly impact me or my immediate family, just can't stand the thought of self isolating again.

But all I meant to say if you're going to act, do it early. But now omicron is everywhere I don't think these measures will have much impact. Honestly just have to hope for the best. Winters were shit enough without this like. 

PCR results back, about as good as could be reasonably expected. 5 negative but the lad is indeed positive. Good news is still no symptoms and it doesn't seem to be Omicron.

Gonna be an absolute ballache trying to keep a hypermobile, non-verbal autistic 4 year old isolated from the rest of the family like. Probably just a case of the rest of us doing daily Lateral Flow tests and crossing our fingers.

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, Blastronaut said:

PCR results back, about as good as could be reasonably expected. 5 negative but the lad is indeed positive. Good news is still no symptoms and it doesn't seem to be Omicron.

Gonna be an absolute ballache trying to keep a hypermobile, non-verbal autistic 4 year old isolated from the rest of the family like. Probably just a case of the rest of us doing daily Lateral Flow tests and crossing our fingers.

Yeah but do you still have to go to see the Darkness?

• Haha 6

They’re fucking mint live mind. Once went to see them by accident after a “recovery pint” turned into a all day session about 12 year ago when I was a mere doylem.

• Haha 2