Coronavirus

Anorthernsoul

33 minutes ago, Tom said:

One of my mates with Covid took 7 tests in one day & kept them aside. Now that he’s negative he’s dating then and sending them to work so he doesn’t have to go in for another week :lol: 

One of the lasses at work must be doing something similar, she's spent more time in isolation than Nelson Mandela.

• Haha 7

Celebrate! Covid is over in a month's time. No more isolation required if you test positive (thought they're probably going to do away with testing as well). Feel free to get it then go round and tongue kiss your nan. Certainly nothing to do with Johnson wanting to appease his back benchers, no sir.

Meanwhile:

• 2 weeks later...

So from Thursday if you test positive you can still wander round infecting other people. I mean what could possibly go wrong. This should have waited until all the younger kids  who are being offered the vaccine had theirs. But what do I know ?

• Like 1

On 20/02/2022 at 13:43, trooper said:

So from Thursday if you test positive you can still wander round infecting other people. I mean what could possibly go wrong. This should have waited until all the younger kids  who are being offered the vaccine had theirs. But what do I know ?

russia still hasn't invaded ukraine and he needs something to keep partygate out of the headlines. 

After staying away, I'm back again foaming (and not in the "good way").

How the fuck has the tactic of saying something publicly that directly contradicts your own published documents - worked as a political tactic?

Trump did it all the time, sometimes contradicting himself, in his own speeches! Boris is doing it now "dont throw caution to the wind" while throwing caution to the wind (no isolation! with 50k+ cases a day, higher deaths per week than we've had for 8 months)

Oh and here's the published "expert advice" from the SPI-B team 

S1514_SPI-B_note_on_lifting_restrictions.pdf (publishing.service.gov.uk)

Specifically  - dont drop isolation and let the NHS give the message not the politicians because trust is lost. Also , pay good sick pay to allow people to isolate - Gvt has quietly dropped that too , no more isolation payments and no more (pathetic) SSP at day 1.

Have a read if you want - some "High confidence" snippets:

If testing ceases to be encouraged or facilitated, then, for the public, Covid-19 symptoms will become ever more subsumed into the broader, ill-defined set of respiratory-illness symptoms that are common in the population and will be treated by the public in the same way as any other symptom [High confidence]

Any withdrawal of free testing for those experiencing possible Covid symptoms or ending of requirements to isolate for those with Covid may unintentionally communicate the message to some that it is acceptable to continue with social contacts regardless of infection or symptoms. This may have particularly adverse impacts on the ability of some employees to take sick leave when experiencing (possible) symptoms.

For many years, NHS advice on what people experiencing flu-like symptoms should do has been to stay off work or school until recovered. 5 Very often, this advice is not followed, increasing the risk of transmission [High confidence]

Previous attempts in other countries to reduce rates of infectious illness by providing improved sick pay have proved effective: as fewer sick staff attend work, less transmission occurs, leading to fewer staff absences overall.12 13 Unfortunately, trials of interventions that encourage and enable more people to stay at home when ill are lacking in the literature

it is advisable to build on the ongoing strong public trust in the NHS, which suggests that now may be a good time to shift responsibility for messaging from central government to public health agencies (NHS, UKHSA) [High confidence]. The profile of the NHS is obviously greater than the UKHSA, so that would be the preferred trusted source, though coherence and visibility of messaging remains important across a variety of sources

If the legal requirement to self-isolate when testing positive is lifted and becomes an item of public health guidance, it is also likely to lead to further ambiguity among the public about the need for strict adherence. This will disproportionately impact vulnerable sections of the population, for example those who face greater pressures to work outside the home when ill because of financial hardship, precarious employment or caring responsibilities [Medium to high confidence]. 38 Evidence from multiple rounds of the ONS Opinions and Lifestyles Survey show that, throughout the pandemic, only a minority of the population report that they are able to work from home. The majority report travelling to work at all times.39

mental... I want an uprising, seriously. Even if this works out - how the hell are they getting away with everything that's happened over the last 2 years , so many dead - painted as "vulnerable or cripples anyway" A BMI > 30 is a comorbidity.

Or this whole "dying with covid is in the government stats" , when AGAIN it's published on their own fucking site that the ONS figures are Covid listed as a CAUSE of death on the certificate.

aaaand relax..

Brrrrrrrruuuuuuuuunnnnooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Edited by scoobos
  • Like 4

42 minutes ago, scoobos said:

After staying away, I'm back again foaming (and not in the "good way").

How the fuck has the tactic of saying something publicly that directly contradicts your own published documents - worked as a political tactic?

Trump did it all the time, sometimes contradicting himself, in his own speeches! Boris is doing it now "dont throw caution to the wind" while throwing caution to the wind (no isolation! with 50k+ cases a day, higher deaths per week than we've had for 8 months)

Oh and here's the published "expert advice" from the SPI-B team 

S1514_SPI-B_note_on_lifting_restrictions.pdf (publishing.service.gov.uk)

Specifically  - dont drop isolation and let the NHS give the message not the politicians because trust is lost. Also , pay good sick pay to allow people to isolate - Gvt has quietly dropped that too , no more isolation payments and no more (pathetic) SSP at day 1.

Have a read if you want - some "High confidence" snippets:

If testing ceases to be encouraged or facilitated, then, for the public, Covid-19 symptoms will become ever more subsumed into the broader, ill-defined set of respiratory-illness symptoms that are common in the population and will be treated by the public in the same way as any other symptom [High confidence]

Any withdrawal of free testing for those experiencing possible Covid symptoms or ending of requirements to isolate for those with Covid may unintentionally communicate the message to some that it is acceptable to continue with social contacts regardless of infection or symptoms. This may have particularly adverse impacts on the ability of some employees to take sick leave when experiencing (possible) symptoms.

For many years, NHS advice on what people experiencing flu-like symptoms should do has been to stay off work or school until recovered. 5 Very often, this advice is not followed, increasing the risk of transmission [High confidence]

Previous attempts in other countries to reduce rates of infectious illness by providing improved sick pay have proved effective: as fewer sick staff attend work, less transmission occurs, leading to fewer staff absences overall.12 13 Unfortunately, trials of interventions that encourage and enable more people to stay at home when ill are lacking in the literature

it is advisable to build on the ongoing strong public trust in the NHS, which suggests that now may be a good time to shift responsibility for messaging from central government to public health agencies (NHS, UKHSA) [High confidence]. The profile of the NHS is obviously greater than the UKHSA, so that would be the preferred trusted source, though coherence and visibility of messaging remains important across a variety of sources

If the legal requirement to self-isolate when testing positive is lifted and becomes an item of public health guidance, it is also likely to lead to further ambiguity among the public about the need for strict adherence. This will disproportionately impact vulnerable sections of the population, for example those who face greater pressures to work outside the home when ill because of financial hardship, precarious employment or caring responsibilities [Medium to high confidence]. 38 Evidence from multiple rounds of the ONS Opinions and Lifestyles Survey show that, throughout the pandemic, only a minority of the population report that they are able to work from home. The majority report travelling to work at all times.39

mental... I want an uprising, seriously. Even if this works out - how the hell are they getting away with everything that's happened over the last 2 years , so many dead - painted as "vulnerable or cripples anyway" A BMI > 30 is a comorbidity.

Or this whole "dying with covid is in the government stats" , when AGAIN it's published on their own fucking site that the ONS figures are Covid listed as a CAUSE of death on the certificate.

aaaand relax..

Brrrrrrrruuuuuuuuunnnnooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

What gets me is that the government have successfully conned a lot of the public into believing we have had a "good" pandemic. We've had a disastrous pandemic by any metric be that health, emotional, or economic. They've used it to financially enrich themselves and their mates, and to further increase the desperate inequalities facing this country. And they're still doing it now. Absolute shower of cunts. 

• Like 6

Also as a simple point they're relying on anti-virals which as well as being in short supply, rely on early use which effectively abolishing testing renders them almost useless. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NJS said:

Also as a simple point they're relying on anti-virals which as well as being in short supply, rely on early use which effectively abolishing testing renders them almost useless. 

I was talking to someone about this earlier - apparently that's the reasoning behind "free tests for the vulnerable" ,

My point was" its not really the vulnerable that need those tests, but the people who will interact with them - once they have it - whats the point?"
The answer - "because that will then trigger them getting rapid anti viral treatment, among the others we already use".

Makes me feel a *tiny* bit better about the vulnerable being thrown to the wolves - but then, they have to be free and they have to be taking them pretty regularly 😕

49 minutes ago, scoobos said:

Makes me feel a *tiny* bit better about the vulnerable being thrown to the wolves - but then, they have to be free and they have to be taking them pretty regularly 😕

Well just to make you feel a *tiny* bit worse, the free tests for the vulnerable will only be available if they're symptomatic. At which point the headstart that anti-viral drugs need to be most effective will be gone.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, interesting to see this thread needing this much bumping, shows how the world is changing I guess. Anyway, more on my current tales of woe, can't seem to catch a break at the minute. My Dad's wake may have been a super spreader event. Worse, it was held in a golf club which tbh is only one step up from a care home in terms of people's ages and vulnerabilities.  I mean, I have to see the funny side, but nearly all my relatives who hadn't already had it now have. My mum is quite ill in bed with it, monitoring her to see if she may need assessment or admission. Seriously, FML at the minute. 

Angry Comedy Bang Bang GIF

:lol: I was tempted to say to you the other day that things can only get better but the way your luck has been over the last year I knew there was no way I could guarantee that.

But things are bound to take a turn for the better at some point. And if not then at least you’ll have Rayvin to keep you company in Ukraine.

• Like 2

On the other hand, ONS survey data today shows 97% of the population have antibodies now. So it looks like "herd immunity" has happened, just that herd immunity doesn't work because you can get this several times! The death rate is also impossible to contextualise now, with prevalence so high. Around the new year, around 40% of the deaths recorded the deaths were likely incidental to covid (i.e. not caused bu it), it might well be higher now. Anecdotally though, a lot of my elderly family (70s, 80s) contracted it last week but none are yet seriously ill. IF we don't get a variant which has a more lethal phenotype (which is the most likely possibility imo, but by no means certain), we are now effectively out of this. On the other hand, we're all getting nuked anyway, so you know, swings and roundabouts. 

• Haha 6

3 minutes ago, spongebob toonpants said:

How's your mother doing?

She was quite ill on Saturday (classic symptoms), but is on the mend now. She's out and about potentially infecting neighbours by posting thank you cards (I can't stop her). I actually forgot to say, on Saturday morning she had all the symptoms, my brother had just tested positive, yet she claimed she was negative on LFT. Unconvinced, I did another LFT with her, and lo and behold, it was positive. Turned out she was taking the swab straight out the sterile package and putting it in the solvent, bypassing any actual sampling. As if it worked by telepathy. I mean, I want to say she isn't stupid, but fuck me. :lol:

• Haha 10

50 minutes ago, Renton said:

She was quite ill on Saturday (classic symptoms), but is on the mend now. She's out and about potentially infecting neighbours by posting thank you cards (I can't stop her). I actually forgot to say, on Saturday morning she had all the symptoms, my brother had just tested positive, yet she claimed she was negative on LFT. Unconvinced, I did another LFT with her, and lo and behold, it was positive. Turned out she was taking the swab straight out the sterile package and putting it in the solvent, bypassing any actual sampling. As if it worked by telepathy. I mean, I want to say she isn't stupid, but fuck me. :lol:

Mothers, man....... before I left home wor lass would usually stay over on a weekend as we were saving for a place of our own. One day my dad let on that she'd had a word with him saying she wasn't stupid, :lol:, she knew we'd be discreetly 'doing it' but I could at least get rid of 'them condom thingys'. My father had a look as to what she was talking about and it was fucking ear defenders from work, they were blueish, transparent and white cotton bud or something inside.....AND WERE OBVIOUSLY SMALL. Obviously the old man knew straight away what they actually we're, laughed and told not to be daft then explained to my mam her error in judgement. I was going to take the piss but I didn't want my shagging becoming a subject around my folks living room so pretended I never knew her error. :lol: (She's Irish so, y'knaa.....) ;)

• Haha 8