Coronavirus

Anorthernsoul

All the best with it all Renton. 

“This too shall pass”. 

One of my favourite sayings that I try and remind myself of whenever life throws a curve ball. 

Given the extra stuff you have had, on top of the two year pandemic, it’s totally normal to feel the way you do.  Everything is still very raw so don’t add to it by beating yourself up.

You will heal, whether that’s medication, conversation or relaxation.

Buy a dog, (avoid budgies) or find some you time whether it’s a new pastime like the gym or even metal detecting ;) 

Start with the talking and definitely try and lose the drink.

Best Wishes.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Christmas Tree said:

find some you time whether it’s a new pastime… even metal detecting

Just picturing Renton stood in a field in the pissing rain, getting bombarded by seagulls, raging at the world as he digs up yet another rusty fucking spoon…

” YOU CUNTS SAID THIS WOULD MAKE ME FEEL BETTER!!!!!!” :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, Renton said:

It does help enormously me unloading here. I've always been one to push things to the back of my mind in RL, until I have a break down like today. I just miss my sister so much and will never get over not saying goodbye to her. I need to recognise this.  Maybe my work psychologist will help, I don't know. My colleagues seem like genuinely nice people but I'm not sure how much I know them or can trust them. Too late now anyway, off to the work shrink I go. Also yet again proves that drink is not good for me. Got pissed for the time in ages yesterday, today I am suffering a major depressive episode. Not worth it. 

Can only echo what everyone else has said, I hope this place can pick you up at times and obviously you get some help that works for you. I know you've had some iffy dealings with psychologists and the like but I know for a fact, (and I hope he doesn't mind me mentioning this?) But wykki spent some time with someone and it really helped get to the bottom of his issues. He reckons he was very thorough so maybe try this lad?

cracker+2.webp

;)

(Take care, mate). :good:

Edited by Howmanheyman
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

17 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Just picturing Renton stood in a field in the pissing rain, getting bombarded by seagulls, raging at the world as he digs up yet another rusty fucking spoon…

” YOU CUNTS SAID THIS WOULD MAKE ME FEEL BETTER!!!!!!” :lol:

Rare sighting of CT & Rents on manoeuvres….

E9216EA4-0522-471E-9E68-A6CC7692A292.jpeg

• Haha 7

All the best Renty babes. Sorry to hear of your troubles. Sounds like counselling would be a great idea, but if medication helps in the short term to get you through, then it can't be the wrong answer. 

As for your colleagues, I'm sure they will have genuine concern for you, but any that don't... Fuck them. 

• Like 4

All the best with it all, Renton. I don't have too much to add but I will say that, I was sceptical about any sort of therapy but after a wobble around Christmas time, I had a quick course of it and the way they help you compartmentalise and deal with a lot of overwhelming issues in your head can't be overstated. It wasn't a case of getting things fixed, it was about sorting them and coming to grips with each of them in a place that's removed from the day-to-day living of them, if that makes any sense. It gives you a sense of clarity that can only come from actually sitting down and being honest with someone who actually has experience in that sort of thing. I hope you end up with a good one because it honestly helped me a lot. Life is such a constant effort and we're all juggling so much inside our heads, it's a miracle that we don't all crumble. Just having the honesty to seek help is strength in itself, mate.

• Like 9

53 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Just having the honesty to seek help is strength in itself, mate.

I honestly felt myself improving just from the act of seeking help. 

I had a poor experience of therapists after my brother was killed, so I swerved the offer and went straight for the Garys. :lol:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Craig said:

Rents man, you've had some serious shite in your direction of late. See what the GP states but be careful which happy pills they put you on. I was put on Citalopram which I later found out was an anti-psychotic drug. It actually made me worse and I was the most horrible cunt imaginable to my missus at the time, and the kids. 

Hoepfully the banter on here (Asprilla aside) is keeping your thoughts positive. Any time you need a debrief mate, drop me a line. 

Citalopram isn't an anti-psychotic buddy. It's an SSRI/anti-depressant. Sometimes they can have adverse effects unfortunately 

@renton

Echo what everyone else has said. This last couple of years have been brutal for everyone but you’ve been dealt a particularly shit hand and there is absolutely no shame in taking time off work, or seeking help.

A good buddy of mine was just signed off work for a month for what probably would have been called a nervous breakdown back in the day. He’s on the antidepressants and a course of cognitive behavioural therapy. The doctor said he wouldn’t feel bad about taking 4 weeks off work if he had some badly broken bones and he shouldn’t feel bad for taking time off just because it’s mental rather than physical illness.   

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Renton said:

Yeah, I'm really wary of medicating myself Craig, mainly because I think I'm in the normal range of what I should be feeling. I'm also wary of counselling. I had a major issue 6 years back and got counselling, and can honestly say the first counsellor made me feel suicidal (and I fucking paid for it!). Blamed all my relationship problems on me which was pure bull shit. Sent me in to full blown nervous breakdown which ultimately cost me my job (as there was no chance of promotion after this). The second person I saw, a clinical psychologist, was just useless, but at least not damaging to me. But on reflection, I've never dealt with my mental issues and now the additional shit I've had to deal with, my sister and Dad dying, have just pushed me over the edge. Let's see what the new psychologist says. 

Try switching off from everything and listening to music in frequencies 528, 432, 777 and 888hz. Sleep with a whatever you feel in the background and play whatever you feel as you're going about your daily business. Do this for a month.

Some fantastic responses here. All of them really. I've never got anniversaries before. Its a year later, so what, the rock we live on happens to be in the same place as it was when x event happened,.big deal. But the mind is a strange thing and from absolutely nowhere I feel the lowest I have ever felt. I feel so much worse than a year ago, it's not even close. Want to blast my cerebrum with whisky and drugs. I'm not going to, obviously, i know that will fuck me up even more.Going to try and sleep, talk to the shrink tomorrow, and plot a map out of this hell I'm feeling currently.

Genuine thanks to all your words and advice. This place is amazing, nearly 20 years it's been going now and although I've only met a few of you it feels like I know you all. Probably going to take a break for a bit but I'll be back soon I'm sure. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Citalopram isn't an anti-psychotic buddy. It's an SSRI/anti-depressant. Sometimes they can have adverse effects unfortunately 

Ah, fair play. I was told by someone in the social care industry that it was anti-psychotic. Doesn't surprise me TBH, she's fucking clueless about most things. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gemmill said:

Craig, it sounds like you're gonna need a new excuse for being a cunt to the missus. :lol:

Ex-missus :lol: and don't be giving me any grief about that, I still only have one marriage on my CV :razz:

2 hours ago, MMXXVIII said:

Try switching off from everything and listening to music in frequencies 528, 432, 777 and 888hz. Sleep with a whatever you feel in the background and play whatever you feel as you're going about your daily business. Do this for a month.

Ah yes, all the best music is just one continuous note that lasts an entire month.

Nailed it, the end to all pain and suffering to take concert pitch down a quarter step. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Renton said:

It does help enormously me unloading here. I've always been one to push things to the back of my mind in RL, until I have a break down like today. I just miss my sister so much and will never get over not saying goodbye to her. I need to recognise this.  Maybe my work psychologist will help, I don't know. My colleagues seem like genuinely nice people but I'm not sure how much I know them or can trust them. Too late now anyway, off to the work shrink I go. Also yet again proves that drink is not good for me. Got pissed for the time in ages yesterday, today I am suffering a major depressive episode. Not worth it. 

Really sorry to hear that mate. Think you're absolutely right to avoid booze if it's affecting your mood. There's loads of exercises you can find online to help with your mood. Simple, non-wanky, helpful advice.

fwiw if you're covered at work for therapy, careful they don't view any discussion with a GP as grounds to refuse support because it's a 'pre-existing condition'. 

19 hours ago, MMXXVIII said:

Is this Quiff?

Listen to your Doctor Renton, I’m just back at work after thick end of 3 months off with stress/anxiety, spent a year supporting the family after what happened to Dan and forgot about myself. 

Take whatever time you need and meds if you need them, I devoured books and escapist TV stuff, nothing verging on serious/heavy shit. Went for walks, went to the pub etc. so don’t think OH! I’m on the sick I’d better stay in, it’s do anything that helps to divert/feel normal and it is absolutely OK.

Diversion and time is what worked for me, similar as someone else said, my Doc said don’t even think about how long you are off, if you’d broken your leg that’d be six weeks off.

He said there’s loads of people suffering as it is with all the Covid stuff, without the trauma you/me been through.

Time works, don’t go back too soon, if you have the slightest doubt you are ready, you aren’t ready, and go back phased -there’s a bit on a sick note that says “you may be fit for work” and Doc can specify you should be phased back. That’s what I did, day week one and incremented days as I felt I could.

All the best.

• Like 5

I finally caught it after having a kid here last Friday who got tested positive on Saturday.

Mild symptoms so far. Looks like I am in a much better state than Renton who will hopefully look for professional help from a good doctor. He shouldn’t moan about any poor handwriting though.

Edited by Isegrim
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Is this Quiff?

Twice I've seen this question asked so I assume there are similarities in posts, but no I'm not 'Quiff'. I posted on here around 15 years ago for a few weeks, then forgot about the place. I can't even remember my username but even if I could, I doubt anyone on here would.

I don't know why this place popped into my head recently, but it did so I browsed and felt like joining.

Quiff rejoined recently. I immediately sniffed him out and he sent me a PM calling me a snitch. :lol:

Haven't seen him around since then so don't know if he got re-banned? 

Hope not. He's alright, I reckon.