Coronavirus

Anorthernsoul

Well I've succumbed - feeling a little hoarse (Top Secret reference) and then coughing most of last night so just did a test which is positive. 

My lass who I spent Sunday with for my birthday last week is also positive so which way the gift went is anyone's guess - though she mixes with the public infinitely more than me. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NJS said:

Well I've succumbed - feeling a little hoarse (Top Secret reference) and then coughing most of last night so just did a test which is positive. 

My lass who I spent Sunday with for my birthday last week is also positive so which way the gift went is anyone's guess - though she mixes with the public infinitely more than me

I've had exes like that. 

serious cat GIF

• Haha 3

Anecdotally it seems like nearly everyone who’d previously managed to avoid it had caught it recently. t this point I’m expecting Gloom and Gemmill to succumb soon or turn up as characters in a Richard Matheson novel

3 minutes ago, Alex said:

Anecdotally it seems like nearly everyone who’d previously managed to avoid it had caught it recently. t this point I’m expecting Gloom and Gemmill to succumb soon or turn up as characters in a Richard Matheson novel

I had it before it really kicked off, all the symptoms (taste and smell loss, which weren't known symptoms at the time - the works, except the cough) was totally wiped out for about 3/4 days. Mrs. had it same time, she got it again few weeks ago, wasn't particularly unwell, I was fine and tested neg throughout her second dose - both of us are triple jabbed. Or quadruple if you count our pre-vaccination dose.

Everyone is going to get it I reckon. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

I had it before it really kicked off, all the symptoms (taste and smell loss, which weren't known symptoms at the time - the works, except the cough) was totally wiped out for about 3/4 days. Mrs. had it same time, she got it again few weeks ago, wasn't particularly unwell, I was fine and tested neg throughout her second dose - both of us are triple jabbed. Or quadruple if you count our pre-vaccination dose.

Everyone is going to get it I reckon. 

Aye I had something in Jan 2020 that made me the sickest I've ever been. Lasted a week and was all the symptoms of the original version (although at the time I didn't know that). 

So I might have had it then, but unconfirmed. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gemmill said:

Aye I had something in Jan 2020 that made me the sickest I've ever been. Lasted a week and was all the symptoms of the original version (although at the time I didn't know that). 

When I was back at work and folks asked what had been the matter, I couldn’t really answer, was totally different to anything I’d had before, wasn’t for ages after that when new symptoms were being mentioned I was “aye, had that”. Thing I remember most (apart from the smell/taste thing) was crushing tiredness like I’ve never felt before.

• Like 1

Official patient's zero in the UK were diagnosed January 29th, 2020. They were from China. Whilst its possible, maybe quite likely, that people in the UK got it before then, they would have had to have been to China or the Alpine region, or at the very least been in close contact with someone who was. Simple maths shows that the prevalence of coronavirus was tiny in even late January. Yet the amount of people who think they got it then is pretty large. My wife is one, my Dad was another. They didn't, they had influenza (very similar symptoms) and are retrofitting their memories to suit (unconsciously).

I'm still of the opinion this is endemic now and as immunity increases even more, the less the clinical effects will be. I don't think we'll see a more malignant variant either.

I don't get China's response now though, locking down all of Shanghai. Simply not sustainable with omicron. It's been shit for us but we're in a better place than they are now. 

I remember getting this shite from you last time this came up. My advice remains the same now as it was then: suck my big beautiful balls. 

I'd had the flu vaccine btw, which would have made it less likely that I had flu. 

BUT YOU KNOW BEST COS YOU PUSH A TROLLEY ROUND A HOSPITAL, "JIMMY". 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

I remember getting this shite from you last time this came up. My advice remains the same now as it was then: suck my big beautiful balls. 

I'd had the flu vaccine btw, which would have made it less likely that I had flu. 

BUT YOU KNOW BEST COS YOU PUSH A TROLLEY ROUND A HOSPITAL, "JIMMY". 

:lol:

You probably had a mild cold you massive fanny. 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Gemmill said:

You did probably get it fron a Chinese mouse tbh

7 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Whoa, isn't it borderline impossible to catch it in NZ? Good luck mate, hope she's fine, and I hope you're as nails as me and can avoid it. 

It was until omicron, govt decided a few months ago that the old strategy couldnt work for it so it is out and about now, know a few people whove had it at this point. 

1 hour ago, Andrew said:

It was until omicron, govt decided a few months ago that the old strategy couldnt work for it so it is out and about now, know a few people whove had it at this point. 

What's your vaccination rate like (3 shots)? 

3 minutes ago, Renton said:

What's your vaccination rate like (3 shots)? 

Canterbury is 98.8% double vaxxed, 75.9% boosted as of yesterday.

Not sure how that compares to the UK or different regions therein?

Just now, Andrew said:

Canterbury is 98.8% double vaxxed, 75.9% boosted as of yesterday.

Not sure how that compares to the UK or different regions therein?

That's higher than here I think. Sounds like New Zealand's approach has been spot on. Obviously easier with your isolation and relatively small population, but still, deserves credit. 

• Like 1

Just now, Renton said:

That's higher than here I think. Sounds like New Zealand's approach has been spot on. Obviously easier with your isolation and relatively small population, but still, deserves credit. 

Aye, the population thing is a bit of a fallacy but it has helped, the vast majority of NZs population is covered in three cities all fairly tightly packed.

Theres been a clear plan here since day 1 though and people have been good about following it, mixed with a bit of luck and we've done really very well.

• Like 1

Was reminiscing with my lass about a nasty dose of flu I had back in about February 1994. She came to visit me at uni as her parents were visiting friends in Chesterfield for a couple of days. She said I looked like I was dying. Her mam wanted to bring me home but, for some reason, I refused. I couldn’t keep anything down for about 3 weeks. I was a skinny fucker anyway back then but weighed exactly 10 stone when I was done with it. This lass off my course apparently came round one day to see if I was ok as i hadn’t been seen for days. I’ve no recollection of it but apparently I was in bed talking to myself in a state of delirium :lol: one thing I do remember is the bin being kept next to my bed and it being about two inches deep with vomit in the mornings. Except the vomit was just bright green phlegm. Even flu was stronger in the 90s 

Edited by Alex

14 hours ago, Alex said:

Was reminiscing with my lass about a nasty dose of flu I had back in about February 1994. She came to visit me at uni as her parents were visiting friends in Chesterfield for a couple of days. She said I looked like I was dying. Her mam wanted to bring me home but, for some reason, I refused. I couldn’t keep anything down for about 3 weeks. I was a skinny fucker anyway back then but weighed exactly 10 stone when I was done with it. This lass off my course apparently came round one day to see if I was ok as i hadn’t been seen for days. I’ve no recollection of it but apparently I was in bed talking to myself in a state of delirium :lol: one thing I do remember is the bin being kept next to my bed and it being about two inches deep with vomit in the mornings. Except the vomit was just bright green phlegm. Even flu was stronger in the 90s 

Not that Gemmill would have caught it, though.

• Haha 1