Stoke fan here in peace...

ORFYDUCKMAG

Hello folks – Stoke fan here in peace. 

I work on the ‘Duck’ fanzine and I’m planning a different type of article for our next issue – out whenever something approaching normal matchdays return to our lives once more. 

I aim to ask supporters of several clubs 5 questions about their perceptions of Stoke City in order a to create a big feature article “Us and Them.”  For the following questions, feel free to answer in varied depth/ brevity but a couple of sentences at least for each is ideal: 

1. 1. Generally how do you see Stoke City the club – a rival? Non-entity? Certain type of club? Disdain? Admiration? Pity?! As a fixture – is it of general appeal? 

1. 2. Are there any Stoke players/ teams that have made an impression on you over the years?  

1. 3. Are there matches between your team and Stoke you recall hating/ loving? 

1. 4. In home / away matches, what have you made of the Stoke support? Any particular memories? 

1. 5. The Victoria Ground/ The New One – what did/ do you make our of our home ground(s)’ the grounds? Any particular experiences or impressions? 

Given our reputation over the years, this could be a risk but then again, it would be great if I could glean a diverse range of honest/ diverse/ cutting/ funny/ serious or even complimentary views 

If you can be arsed, thanks for your time.  

Take care of yourselves, 

Lee Hawthorne @ORFYDUCKMAG 

1 hour ago, ORFYDUCKMAG said:

I work on the ‘Duck’ fanzine and I’m planning a different type of article for our next issue – out whenever something approaching normal matchdays return to our lives once more. 

I aim to ask supporters of several clubs 5 questions about their perceptions of Stoke City in order a to create a big feature article “Us and Them.”  For the following questions, feel free to answer in varied depth/ brevity but a couple of sentences at least for each is ideal: 

1. 1. Generally how do you see Stoke City the club – a rival? Non-entity? Certain type of club? Disdain? Admiration? Pity?! As a fixture – is it of general appeal? 

As a youngster I can't really remember many matches v you lot to be honest.

1. 2. Are there any Stoke players/ teams that have made an impression on you over the years?  

No. That sounds really disrespectful and it genuinely isn't meant to be nor does it mean you haven't had any good players it's just a lot of the time in your PL years I was maybe a bit disillusioned with football.

Only been once to Stoke, boxing day 89 and a rather undeserved 2-1 defeat. 

1. 4. In home / away matches, what have you made of the Stoke support? Any particular memories? 

Didn't get to the famous 4-0 win down there when there was pandemonium by all accounts and some of your support hit and attacked anyone, whether they wanted bother or not. Long memories up here for stuff like that so perhaps those of an age don't look too fondly on your club. Even the game I went to in 89 down there saw a bit of bother when I saw a couple of fans in the paddocks of your end got attacked, yes they were in the wrong end but it didn't look like they were in their to cause bother.

1. 5. The Victoria Ground/ The New One – what did/ do you make our of our home ground(s)’ the grounds? Any particular experiences or impressions? 

Your current one looks shit. Sorry but I'm a bit of a traditionalist for stuff like this and can't abide most of the new grounds. The Victoria ground hammers the new one. Ditto Baseball ground, Burnden, Ayresome, Roker etc.  

Given our reputation over the years, this could be a risk but then again, it would be great if I could glean a diverse range of honest/ diverse/ cutting/ funny/ serious or even complimentary views 

Bumped into a few of your fans in town for a game up here and was half expecting them to be knobs, wasn't expecting trouble as they were in no position to do anything but was happy to say they were good lads so I suppose there's always good and bad wherever you go in life. 

(Sorry for the abrupt answers, I'm not long up from night shift so REALLY can't be arsed. Hahaha).

Take care of yourselves, 

• Like 1

The name Stoke City does nothing but remind me of  the famous Stanley Mathews, who I incidentally played with in a tournament  in  Southern California. He was in his 70's and I was in my 50's, and it was known as the Stanley Mathews Tournament. He only played for about 15 minutes  but his class shone even at that age.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Noelie said:

The name Stoke City does nothing but remind me of  the famous Stanley Mathews, who I incidentally played with in a tournament  in  Southern California. He was in his 70's and I was in my 50's, and it was known as the Stanley Mathews Tournament. He only played for about 15 minutes  but his class shone even at that age.

Not a bad claim to fame, Noelie. :good:

• Like 1

Me dad saw Mathews playing for Stoke in the top flight when the latter was 50. It’s impressive enough Mathews played for Stoke for 19 seasons but he also played at Blackpool for 14 years :lol: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Noelie said:

You’re positive it wasn’t Bernard? 

• Haha 4

On 4/11/2020 at 01:29, ORFYDUCKMAG said:

A rival in the battle to survive relegation perhaps, otherwise no strong feelings.

The Rory Delap long throw period where it threw keepers and defenders into a panic for a season or so.

We were playing you guys at your place and it was raining, so every time there was a throw in the ball boys would have to wipe the ball dry with a towel so that the Stoke long throw could take place. Our fullback at the time, Danny Simpson, took the absolute piss out of you lot by wasting time insisting on getting the ball wiped down as if to prepare for a long throw himself, only to proceed with a very short throw. Pretty sure we won the match which was no doubt filled with time wasting and general shittery by your lot which is why that moment was so memorable for me. That and I'm pretty about stuff like that.

Nope, but then I'm on the other side of the planet.

3.  Narrow pitch, absolute shit games on average.

Edited by OTF

On 4/10/2020 at 16:29, ORFYDUCKMAG said:

Take care of yourselves, 

For a time relegation rivals. Before and after that? I don't really think of Stoke at all. Oh, except Deadline day, always seemed to be oddities in the background whenever the Sky cameras showed up at your place.

Shaqiri is/was decent.

Ba's hattrick game at yours 11/12, or the 5-1 when Hughes lost his rag and his jacket in 13/14.

Nope. Noisy at home when you were newly promoted, but that petered out as it does for all clubs who stay up.

New stadium is a flatpack celebration of meh.

Hope this helps :good: