The Entirely Reasonable Potential Transfers Thread

Ayatollah Hermione

Been reading a bit about this Moussa Marega lad we've been linked to putting a bid in for in the, admittedly unreliable Portuguese football press. Apparently despite his size he plays more as a secondary striker, as opposed to a centre forward and someone who can play up on their own and bring others into play. Sounds fucking familiar doesn't it :icon_lol::( Given he recently turned 29 I can't see it, but as Mark Douglas pointed out we did just give Hendrick a four year contract, albeit on a free, and he'll be 29 in January. Chances are we won't buy him and it's all rubbish, although we have been repeatedly linked to him, but who knows he could be another Ba or Cisse as opposed to a Guicarc'h or Andreas Andersson. He's certainly got impressive speed and power.

39 minutes ago, strawb said:

He’s big, strong and quick. Not the best finisher. Ideal really cos we have too many lethal strikers as it is

I had a look at some of his stats in more detail and in fairness when he was played as a centre forward last season he scored 12 goals and made 5 assists in 27 games, which is more than respectable even in a weak league. He'd been moved out wide for 9 games over the course of the season which I assume is pretty disruptive to your game. I think the problem is that Joelinton has been so shite in everything he does, it colours the perception of any other striker coming in who's big and strong and yet doesn't really have the classic hold up abilities of a centre forward.

Edited by Polarboy

The proposed and completed signings all look fucking terrible. Third choice keepers, midfielders Burnley don’t want, centre backs worse than our fifth choice, second strikers when we don’t have a number 9 worth the name and some left back back who would cost about the same as me. Last summer we smashed our transfer record (allegedly) as well as signing one of the brightest prospects in ligue 1 and we were still the worst team I saw all season, with the possible exception of Bournemouth when we played them down there. This is going to be a fucking slog and I really don’t know if I have the stomach for it any more. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, David Kelly said:

The proposed and completed signings all look fucking terrible. Third choice keepers, midfielders Burnley don’t want, centre backs worse than our fifth choice, second strikers when we don’t have a number 9 worth the name and some left back back who would cost about the same as me. Last summer we smashed our transfer record (allegedly) as well as signing one of the brightest prospects in ligue 1 and we were still the worst team I saw all season, with the possible exception of Bournemouth when we played them down there. This is going to be a fucking slog and I really don’t know if I have the stomach for it any more. 

Put some money on relegation. It’s the only thing that’ll make the regular shoeings bearable

48 minutes ago, David Kelly said:

I'm far from wanting to see the back of Ritchie but if we got Wilson in as part of it and then got Frazer in on a free that would represent good business for a club as shit as us.

Wilson is living off a decent 4 month spell 2 years ago and apoears increasingly injury prone.Bournemouth fans aren't mourning his departure. He's still a better option than Joelinton, but that bar is fuckin subterranean :glare:

Edited by PaddockLad
  • Haha 3

Gillespie, Hendrick, Holding, Fraser, Giannoulis and Wilson for 5m. If, and it's a big if obviously, Bruce and Penfold pull that off fair play to them. Obviously it stings to be shopping with a Lidl budget when we could have had enough to shop in Harrods, but that would be great business whatever way you look at it. If we offer Ritchie in part exchange and get Wilson for about 20m cash, we might even have enough left over to get the Marega lad if there's any truth in that story, or indeed any of these rumours. Don't know much about Giannoulis but have heard he's decent. Lets just hope he isn't another Krafth, at least so far, in terms of quality, but he's distinct from Krafth in that he's supposed to an attacking wing-back.

Edited by Polarboy

3 hours ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Ritchie came in and did a job but it’s probably time for him to go. He’ll only be on a decline from here. Not to mention how shit his crossing has become

i like him. no world beater but more than good enough for a club like us, and works his arse off. 

You hear a lot about Wilson being injury prone, but in fairness he's played 93 league games in the last three seasons which isn't too bad for a supposed crock. He's certainly a lot sturdier than wor Andy in any case. Perhaps we could get Wilson and Carroll to synchronise their fitness/injuries in terms of Carroll being fit for the 6 to 10 games Wilson is usually out for. Of course it doesn't pay off as a Newcastle fan to get too ahead of yourself. Villa might offer him 10 groaty pudding a week to blow our offer out of the water.

Can't fault Ritchie's contribution to the club since he signed, a model professional and nothing but commitment to the cause. But if it means a regular stream of goals from a decent striker next season then snap their hand off.

Edited by Anorthernsoul

Just seen a Villa supporter say that he hopes Wilson to Newcastle is true because he doesn't want him :icon_lol: Because Villa have some many options up front, or realistic transfer targets with premier experience or obvious quality that would suit the premier.

• Tom locked this topic