The Entirely Reasonable Potential Transfers Thread

Ayatollah Hermione

I think we have to stop caring about how much was spent on Joelinton and judge him instead on how he performs in this system. 

The kid was played as an isolated targetman for a poor side. At least now we're likely to play a style that means he won't be chasing down lost causes or trying to keep the ball for half an hour while Shelvey strolls up to join him in attack.

56 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I think we have to stop caring about how much was spent on Joelinton and judge him instead on how he performs in this system. 

The kid was played as an isolated targetman for a poor side. At least now we're likely to play a style that means he won't be chasing down lost causes or trying to keep the ball for half an hour while Shelvey strolls up to join him in attack.

Which stage of grief is this?

• Like 1

I don't know what's worse, the fact that our fan base have legitimately gone through stages of grief about his signing, or Joelinton.

8 hours ago, The Fish said:

He hasn’t always played as an isolated target man though,and when he’s found himself at times in his preferred position ( wide-ish left in the opponent’s half ) he’s been shite.When he’s been selected in his preferred position from the start he’s been shite.If we put Ritchie outside right I would expect him to produce something,even at right back !!!!  He knows he can produce nowt or next to nowt and be sub at worst for the next game, with an excellent chance of being brought on.I do take your point about the ‘injured’ Shelvey mind.

Rodriguez is a touch of class and for that reason I can’t see us signing him. 

He stood out in most games for Everton for having rare skills like ball control and being able to pass it accurately over a distance of 12 yards.

Didn’t he only sign for Everton because of Ancelotti and has basically not given a fuck about playing for them since Ancelotti left? I’m not sure why the current state of Newcastle with Steve Bruce would be more attractive for him. 

• Haha 1

I think so yes…I can’t imagine the appeal of playing for Bruce either. It’s probably considerably less work but that’s all I can think of. 

Our preseason fitness schedule seems to run, quite slowly, into October. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Howay said:

Didn’t he only sign for Everton because of Ancelotti and has basically not given a fuck about playing for them since Ancelotti left? I’m not sure why the current state of Newcastle with Steve Bruce would be more attractive for him. 

Track back for Rafa or 4 days out of 5 off with Bruce? I know what type he strikes me as

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tom said:

I think so yes…I can’t imagine the appeal of playing for Bruce either. It’s probably considerably less work but that’s all I can think of. 

Our preseason fitness schedule seems to run, quite slowly, into October. 

‘He hasn’t had a pre-season’ is a favourite quote of Brucey’s.I would imagine this will be directed at Willock if he goes through a lean spell ( 1 goal in 40 games for Arsenal ) .With our lack of creativity in the team,he’s going to have to create his goals by himself,if we continue to tire/look disinterested in the second half of games.

Newcastle United have requested talks with James Rodriguez on Steve Bruce's recommendation. 

Hello James, bonny lad, now how much would you be looking for in wages? Cue Cabbage and Penfold chocking on their smokey bacon and jammy dogger respectively. 

Setting aside the wage aspect, he can't be arsed at Everton. If he's moved on it will be because Rafa doesn't want him based on attitude and not ability. Not someone we should even consider.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, OTF said:

Setting aside the wage aspect, he can't be arsed at Everton. If he's moved on it will be because Rafa doesn't want him based on attitude and not ability. Not someone we should even consider.

Beggars can't be choosers. There's no doubting his quality, so I'd definitely take a chance on him if it's possible to get him in. And as people have said he might hit it off with ASM and some of the other lads. He might have a less than ideal attitude, but he's not quite Ben Arfa level. He'll also want to perform before the world cup, so we may at least get a good second half of the season from him were we to sign him.

• Tom locked this topic