The Entirely Reasonable Potential Transfers Thread

Ayatollah Hermione

1 minute ago, Rayvin said:

I've seen some mixed info on this FFP stuff. So yeah a lot of people are gravitating to this 200m figure because that's the amount permitted as a loss over a three year period or something, but someone posted another video with a guy saying that we could more or less spend what we want since we're currently profitable.

The logic I think was that if we front loaded the spending in year 1, the values of the players on the accounts would depreciate over 3 years and this would somehow modify our profitability. Not an accountant, don't totally get the argument, but is there any logic to that? The upshot was we could spend even up to 500m or so and still be fine.

That guy was Simon Jordan so I wouldn't be taking that as gospel.

• Like 1

I read today that the Saudis will buy them out of the sponsorship because gambling is illegal over there. 

They’re also making special shirts without the Fun 88 logo for the Saudi fans

9 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

I've seen some mixed info on this FFP stuff. So yeah a lot of people are gravitating to this 200m figure because that's the amount permitted as a loss over a three year period or something, but someone posted another video with a guy saying that we could more or less spend what we want since we're currently profitable.

The logic I think was that if we front loaded the spending in year 1, the values of the players on the accounts would depreciate over 3 years and this would somehow modify our profitability. Not an accountant, don't totally get the argument, but is there any logic to that? The upshot was we could spend even up to 500m or so and still be fine.

Hey, as a City fan I know a fair bit about FFP lol. 

It's called amortisation and it essentially allows clubs to drag out the 'transfer value' over the course of the players contracts.  For example, if you were to sign 5 players for £100m each and they all signed 5 year contracts, the year 1 value for FFP would be £100m, year 2 £100m, year 3 £100m and so on (assuming you didn't buy/sell any other players over that period). 

So all you'd have to do is balance £100m per year through player sales or increased commercial revenues. 

• Like 1

On 08/10/2021 at 22:21, Chaser said:

Karim Adeyemi and Aster Vranckx. Young, keen and eyed up by Liverpool and City. Immediate improvement over Gayle and Shelvey. 

someone's been trawling through the Football Manager wonderkids lists.

On 09/10/2021 at 22:07, Kid Dynamite said:

Realistic names for January? Players looking for a move to a bigger club or players not getting game time...

GK - Pope

LB/RB - Chilwell, Trippier

CB - Tarkovski, Coady

CM - K.Phillips, Ward-Prowse, Van der Beek, Ramsey, B.Kamara 

LW/RW- H.Barnes, Lingard, Zaha, Raphina

CF- Toney, Jimenez, Ben Yedder, Icardi

:lol: That this isn't a list of Unrealistic names for January is bonkers.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, The Fish said:

someone's been trawling through the Football Manager wonderkids lists.

:lol: That this isn't a list of Unrealistic names for January is bonkers.

Have you seen the pair of them? Adeyemi is flying again this season and both are being eyed up by top clubs. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Manchester33 said:

Hey, as a City fan I know a fair bit about FFP lol. 

It's called amortisation and it essentially allows clubs to drag out the 'transfer value' over the course of the players contracts.  For example, if you were to sign 5 players for £100m each and they all signed 5 year contracts, the year 1 value for FFP would be £100m, year 2 £100m, year 3 £100m and so on (assuming you didn't buy/sell any other players over that period). 

So all you'd have to do is balance £100m per year through player sales or increased commercial revenues. 

Absolute bollox

Tarkowski, Wijnaldum, Lingard and Lacazette is who I'd be going after in January. Burnley seem to want to cash in on Tarkowski with his contact running out, same for Lingard who could apparently go for 15m in January if he doesn't sign a contract, Wijnaldum isn't happy sitting on the bench at PSG and would instantly upgrade the quality of our midfield, and Lacazette could apparently leave in January with Inter the current favourites. All very decent players who are maybe just about gettable for us, given the current state of the club, if we throw enough money at it and have a decent manager in charge to convince them to come. Obviously Wijnaldum likely won't like the idea of the step back at this point in his career, but somebody like Lacazette seems just about mercenary enough. 

3 hours ago, Polarboy said:

Tarkowski, Wijnaldum, Lingard and Lacazette is who I'd be going after in January. Burnley seem to want to cash in on Tarkowski with his contact running out, same for Lingard who could apparently go for 15m in January if he doesn't sign a contract, Wijnaldum isn't happy sitting on the bench at PSG and would instantly upgrade the quality of our midfield, and Lacazette could apparently leave in January with Inter the current favourites. All very decent players who are maybe just about gettable for us, given the current state of the club, if we throw enough money at it and have a decent manager in charge to convince them to come. Obviously Wijnaldum likely won't like the idea of the step back at this point in his career, but somebody like Lacazette seems just about mercenary enough. 

I feel like Lacazette is a busted flush in the PL at this point, would prefer to get players who have demonstrated in some way that they're on the way up than down.

Tarkowski is a good shout and a good player, Lingard proved himself really impressively at West Ham last season, Wijnaldum can get to fuck.

• Tom locked this topic