The Entirely Reasonable Potential Transfers Thread

Ayatollah Hermione

43 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

See Chelsea have just signed deals with some of the more prominent local boys clubs around Newcastle, to hoover up the decent kids? 

Hopefully we can get that reversed quickly. 

You mean over and above this one?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-9123817/Chelsea-plot-poach-North-East-talent.html

It’s concerning, but who a lad signs for at 14 will largely be down to his parents. Chelsea are fuckin shits though https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/the-case-of-ballo-how-chelsea-illegally-signed-underage-players/view/news/345546

5 minutes ago, Alan Doh'liver said:

I saw someone mentioning yesterday that Nathan Ake would be a great loan signing as Howe knows all about him, and I thought, yeah like Chelsea are going to help us avoid relegation. 

Ake is at Man City, so they might actually loan him to us, given we're pariahs in arms.

Edited by Polarboy
  • Haha 2

I think the "don't help Newcastle" thing is a genuine concern for Jan. 

I'd be more concerned if I was a Bournemouth fan though, I can see him looking to raid them in Jan. Although maybe not, if it means derailing their promotion push. 

Either way, premier league clubs being bellends isn't insurmountable and we can hopefully make the cunts pay for it in a few years time. 

• Like 2

If we go down, do they not lose any chance of limiting our ability to spend? Can we not use the opportunity to sign several 10 year multi-million pound sponsorships that would constitute pre-existing business relationships that the PL won't be able to veto, and that would just come up with us on promotion?

I don't think we're going down even if we do limited business in January anyway, I'm convinced Howe can get more out of this team than Bruce did.

2 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

If we go down, do they not lose any chance of limiting our ability to spend? Can we not use the opportunity to sign several 10 year multi-million pound sponsorships that would constitute pre-existing business relationships that the PL won't be able to veto, and that would just come up with us on promotion?

I don't think we're going down even if we do limited business in January anyway, I'm convinced Howe can get more out of this team than Bruce did.

I was wondering this as well. They'll no doubt introduce a rule that says you can't be promoted to the PL unless you do it on terms that will hamper your ability to compete with the rest of the division. Like a pack of cunts. 

Just now, Gemmill said:

I was wondering this as well. They'll no doubt introduce a rule that says you can't be promoted to the PL unless you do it on terms that will hamper your ability to compete with the rest of the division. Like a pack of cunts. 

I think there's a limit to what they'll actually be able to realistically do before they become anti-competitive - the lawsuits that would come in if they tried to prevent a team from being promoted under the existing terms of the league arrangements would be incredible.

• Like 1

I actually think it will indeed go something like that - and if he does manage to make relegation less of a certainty, the other clubs might give up on their stance anyway. It's only worth pursuing if going down looks likely.

Agree on it being a short term problem. It’s a desperate, ill thought out, and short term play. Once we establish ourselves as being away from the relegation candidates there’s literally no incentive for half the PL clubs to avoid selling to us, I understand if they’re on board now hoping we will drop instead of them but even then the lower teams will know it does nothing but push the timeline back, it’s not like the owners will just throw their hands up in frustration and walk away. It’s why I always saw links to players like Tarkowski as a bit daft, why would Burnley sell us their main defender? It would essentially resign them to relegation or massively increase the odds of it coming to pass. Illegal agreement not to sell to us or not we were always going to struggle to sign players from those teams around us. The issue for me would be more the mid to top end sides refusing this season as those would have been the players we’d have been more likely to bring in. 

Even if the “top” sides carry it on it’s not really an issue in future, as realistically how often do they buy from one another? 

• Like 3

Actually a really good point - the only clubs who are really going to care about our success longer term are the top tier clubs. Those with delusions of grandeur like Palace, West Ham and Everton will care for a few seasons until we go past them, then they'll just recalibrate and get on with things as usual. I mean the likelihood is that we'll replace an existing top tier club anyway so it doesn't make that much difference for them.

And as Howay says, the top tier wouldn't sell to each other anyway.

Edited by Rayvin
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

I think they'll struggle to enforce any meaningful restrictions on sponsorship. Even if what they are proposing is legal they have to prove a link. The key decision we have in our favour is that the PL have already ruled that PIF is not the same as the Saudi government so therefore Aramco (for example) is not directly linked to PIF and therefore should be free to sponsor our shirts.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, strawb said:

Not sure we will do much business with premier league clubs anyway? 

Only because we could never afford their players. With our mega bucks we could afford any of them should we want to.

Regardless, there's very few transfers between the top sides in the PL. Generally the bigger clubs buy upcoming players from those lower down the league because they either offer enough money and/or the player is agitating for a move. That's not going to change for us.

13 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Do we not have to be a bit more mindful of 'homegrown' players now that we're not in the EU?

That would be perfect. 

"You must look to buy homegrown players...but no one at home is going to sell you any so fuck off and get relegated like good little boys please..." 

3 minutes ago, trooper said:

I know its the Daily Star but it doesn't look to clever if its true. Rather see us relegated than take our money in January 

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/newcastle-united-premier-league-transfers-25430635

The Daily Star, quoting the daily Telegraph, quoting an unnamed industry expert :lol: 

Dont worry about it.

• Tom locked this topic