The Entirely Reasonable Potential Transfers Thread

Ayatollah Hermione

3 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

It would be a fairytale but it’s a massive punt isn’t it? Bringing back a bloke who had to be resuscitated? It usually ends careers.

I’m sure there is a much higher number of players suffering heart problems today than ever before. A cynic might suggest the game is awash with performance-enhancing drugs.  

:lol:

You're a mug if you think football is clean!  It's rife with PED's 

We need a CM :lol: we aren’t going to win games with this central midfield. They generate absolutely fucking nothing. I understand the defence has been the focus, and rightly so due to how poor it is, but imo at this point CM is equally important due to our dire need to win games. We can’t rely on ASM to make and score a goal from fucking nothing like he did against Watford, we need to be generating chances. 

• Like 1

Willock for Longstaff helps in the short term. At least then you have two players with legs in him and Joelinton who can potentially try to get up and support Wood. Shelvey needs to be replaced too tbh but I’d be amazed if we sign three players this week. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

Willock's been shit. Shelvey isn't up to it, Hayden isn't, Longstaff isn't and neither is Hendrick. We're fucking bereft in that department. 

Agree about willock but I’m holding out hope that there might be a player in there if he’s used in the right system. He clearly isn’t capable of playing centre mid in a two. (Particularly when the other player is Shelvey) but he looked good in a midfield three last season when his job was predominantly to support the striker and arrive late in the box. Fuck knows if that was a one off but he has to be worth trying if we fail to bring in central midfielders before the weekend (we don’t seem to have been linked with many?)

Honest question, did Willock really look that good at the end of last season? Or did his absurd amount of goals distort people’s view of him? I genuinely can’t remember and if I try I’m definitely factoring in his goals heavily. The goals were always going to dry up at the rate he was scoring but I can’t remember what his overall performances were like tbh. 

I agree with HMHM, we can’t rely on any of these CMs over 20 games this season none of them have done anything to help create things on offense, I think hoping for Willock to suddenly perform is kind of like hoping for Shelvey to suddenly give a fuck and turn in performances like he does on extremely rare occasions. He’s had injuries etc this season so I’m not writing the lad off completely in the longer term but I don’t want to depend on him this season. 

3 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

Scott Parker allgedly had a choice when he left Chelsea...being knocked out of a champions league qualifier at Everton or Intertoto glory at Newcastle....

• Haha 3

27 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Willock for Longstaff helps in the short term. At least then you have two players with legs in him and Joelinton who can potentially try to get up and support Wood. Shelvey needs to be replaced too tbh but I’d be amazed if we sign three players this week. 

Shelvey was fucking terrible this week, spent the whole first half walking about. We need 2 new mids IMO

13 minutes ago, Howay said:

Honest question, did Willock really look that good at the end of last season? Or did his absurd amount of goals distort people’s view of him? I genuinely can’t remember and if I try I’m definitely factoring in his goals heavily. The goals were always going to dry up at the rate he was scoring but I can’t remember what his overall performances were like tbh. 

I agree with HMHM, we can’t rely on any of these CMs over 20 games this season none of them have done anything to help create things on offense, I think hoping for Willock to suddenly perform is kind of like hoping for Shelvey to suddenly give a fuck and turn in performances like he does on extremely rare occasions. He’s had injuries etc this season so I’m not writing the lad off completely in the longer term but I don’t want to depend on him this season. 

It is something that (I think) I commented on his day in summer. For me, his performances in general were not really good. It's true that if you score seven goals in seven games (I think it was like that) and score points in almost all of them and help the team to save itself, you're a star, but his real performance, to me, suggested that when he stopped scoring, he really didn't he was going to have the impact and, in fact, probably not even the place to play in the XI. Above all, because he was a fairly expensive signing. t is something that was difficult to say at the time, and that is easy to say today.

It is something similar to what has happened to Lingard. Last year he was magical with West Ham, but this year he hasn't had a place at Manchester and, possibly, at West Ham he wouldn't have shone like he did that semester either.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Agree about willock but I’m holding out hope that there might be a player in there if he’s used in the right system. He clearly isn’t capable of playing centre mid in a two. (Particularly when the other player is Shelvey) but he looked good in a midfield three last season when his job was predominantly to support the striker and arrive late in the box. Fuck knows if that was a one off but he has to be worth trying if we fail to bring in central midfielders before the weekend (we don’t seem to have been linked with many?)

Last season towards the end was a little bit surreal, no fans, some players almost had their flip flops on and some of our games very much reflected that, Everton and Leicester away come to mind, Palace too. I think willock just enjoyed the freedom which he's obviously not getting now. Some of the novelty will have worn off too and he's now at NUFC midfield levels rather than the lads at Arsenal who he was training with and would've been a bit better than ours. :lol:

32 minutes ago, tooner said:

Shelvey was fucking terrible this week, spent the whole first half walking about. We need 2 new mids IMO

Shelvey can hit a pass sometimes, but he is far too slow for the modern game. That’s why 90% of his game are long balls or poorly timed tackles.

• Like 1

Gladbach are actually now trying to force Ginter out of the club to get money for him. It would be stupid to pay over the odds to get someone when you could sign a decent player and German international for little money.

• Like 3

Players are available that improve us considerably but publicly it seems we are getting tunnel vision about Carlos like we did with Botman. 

The hope is that the public perception doesn’t equal what’s happening in reality, but it seems like it has been another day with no progress. 

• Like 1

• Tom locked this topic