The Entirely Reasonable Potential Transfers Thread

Ayatollah Hermione

2 minutes ago, Winston said:

Mad that Carlos wants to force through a transfer from his champions league club to us in our situation. He will be a legend if we do get him

Offered him 3x his current wage apparently

Just now, 247 said:

Offered him 3x his current wage apparently

Still mental tho. Sevilla are 2nd in la liga and still in Europe. Im sure he will get the contract he wants in the summer unless Sevilla arent financially stable?? 

4 minutes ago, Winston said:

Still mental tho. Sevilla are 2nd in la liga and still in Europe. Im sure he will get the contract he wants in the summer unless Sevilla arent financially stable?? 

I guess at 28 when you get a chance at one huge contract to some it will get real tempting but aye, swapping their position for ours seems like madness still

Edited by 247
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, 247 said:

Wait we approached Atalanta with a loan offer for their main striker? :lol: What??

I think its the best way to use our loans but increase the loan fee e.g. 15m and the transfer fee to 35m (minus 15m from loan fee if we buy) and they might do business (also change obligation to option to buy because of high loan fee) - note I feel there are better strikers than Zapata but he's still not a bad option.

I want us to do something like that for any 40-50m player we target. There's a good chance they flop so high loan fee + higher transfer fee + option to buy works well. 

Also I'm not sure why we are not targeting the free transfers in the summer e.g. Zakaria, Kamara etc

I know Ginter and Sule don't want to come according to reports.

And can we please stop agreeing personal terms before the transfer fee! As long as the agent says yh and we want around x, we know if we can afford so go straight to negotiating the fee. Unless they want stupid money like Dumbele, we should be ok.

Edited by Phoenix711

4 minutes ago, Phoenix711 said:

I think its the best way to use our loans but increase the loan fee e.g. 15m and the transfer fee to 35m (minus 15m from loan fee if we buy) and they might do business (also change obligation to option to buy because of high loan fee) - note I feel there are better strikers than Zapata but he's still not a bad option.

I want us to do something like that for any 40-50m player we target. There's a good chance they flop so high loan fee + higher transfer fee + option to buy works well. 

Also I'm not sure why we are not targeting the free transfers in the summer e.g. Zakaria, Kamara etc

I know Ginter and Sule don't want to come according to reports.

And can we please stop agreeing personal terms before the transfer fee! As long as the agent says yh and we want around x, we know if we can afford so go straight to negotiating the fee. Unless they want stupid money like Dumbele, we should be ok.

Defo agree from our point of view its a good deal especially with an option on future fee depending on relegation. I dont see why Atalanta would ever agree to this though.. loan us their main striker for a half a season and we only buy if we stay up? Seems like they would just be getting shafted really :lol:

11 minutes ago, 247 said:

Defo agree from our point of view its a good deal especially with an option on future fee depending on relegation. I dont see why Atalanta would ever agree to this though.. loan us their main striker for a half a season and we only buy if we stay up? Seems like they would just be getting shafted really :lol:

It's not a bad deal for Atlanta. £15m is almost 20m euro for 6 months. The striker is valued at £30m of transfermarkt. If we don't buy then they can sell him again in summer for £25m and make £40m off him or keep him. 

The big issue is how much do they need him and they are playing for CL football and have no obvious replacement so in this specific example it wouldn't work. There are better targets like the one below.

On the other hand, Vlahovic would work. Fiorentina know he won't be signing and want to sell now for more money. Would cost 80m euro and if we offered 20m euro for 6 month loan and 60m if we stay up (option to buy, not obligation but we would take the option if he got us goals) I think they'd agree cos if they sell they get 80m, if they don't (because we didn't take up the option) they will get 60m in summer from another club, either way they get the full price.

Problem is Vlahovic isn't keen, so fee isn't the issue, player is. We really are struggling to get both player + fee to agree >.<. 

5 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Seville has the best defence in La Liga. He must be dog shit.

Aye, I understand the concern but he surely can’t be that bad? They’ve conceded 13 goals in 19 games and he’s started all of them. Maybe he looks like the weak one in their defence? I can’t see him being anything like the liability Lascelles is 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Phoenix711 said:

It's not a bad deal for Atlanta. £15m is almost 20m euro for 6 months. The striker is valued at £30m of transfermarkt. If we don't buy then they can sell him again in summer for £25m and make £40m off him or keep him. 

The big issue is how much do they need him and they are playing for CL football and have no obvious replacement so in this specific example it wouldn't work. There are better targets like the one below.

On the other hand, Vlahovic would work. Fiorentina know he won't be signing and want to sell now for more money. Would cost 80m euro and if we offered 20m euro for 6 month loan and 60m if we stay up (option to buy, not obligation but we would take the option if he got us goals) I think they'd agree cos if they sell they get 80m, if they don't (because we didn't take up the option) they will get 60m in summer from another club, either way they get the full price.

Problem is Vlahovic isn't keen, so fee isn't the issue, player is. We really are struggling to get both player + fee to agree >.<. 

Sorry mid read your post and thought you meant with the £5m loan fee that we apparently offered, £15m loan fee is defo more reasonable from their point of view im sure. But yeah thats the thing, I just cant see them letting him go like that on loan mid season.. Vlahovic has been my dream signing from all the players we've been linked with but like you say hes not keen especially with Arsenal after him to. 

Also a £15m loan fee might seem a little excessive when we will probably start Wilson over him when hes fit again? And where does Wood fit into this.. maybe Howe does want to play with 2 strikers after all 

10 minutes ago, Howay said:

Aye, I understand the concern but he surely can’t be that bad? They’ve conceded 13 goals in 19 games and he’s started all of them. Maybe he looks like the weak one in their defence? I can’t see him being anything like the liability Lascelles is 

Yeah but we’d be paying big money…

im not saying we shouldn’t sign him cause clearly we need to do something to try and finish 17th

I just have a feeling he’ll be one of those buyers remorse players

(it’s not my money so obviously I hope we sign him 😎)

18 minutes ago, Howay said:

Boumsong looked a world beater in France.

The game in England is still very different to other  leagues.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Asprilla said:

Yeah but we’d be paying big money…

im not saying we shouldn’t sign him cause clearly we need to do something to try and finish 17th

I just have a feeling he’ll be one of those buyers remorse players

(it’s not my money so obviously I hope we sign him 😎)

Money doesn’t really matter to our club now, it’s like all the ‘mis steps’ man city made early buying players that looking back weren’t great, they overpaid for, but helped them along the way. It’s like the 25m for wood, it’s an overpayment sure but it won’t matter in the grand scheme of things, it would matter if we were under Ashley and he was our massive outlay for the foreseeable future but this lot are seemingly trying to spend over 100m on players in this window alone (they’d have spent 80m on Botman and Carlos alone). If he comes in, does a decent job and helps us stay up, eventually becomes a squad player or moves away for 12m or so I can’t imagine any of us would feel it wasn’t worth it. 

8 minutes ago, Isegrim said:

Boumsong looked a world beater in France.

The game in England is still very different to other  leagues.

It is yes, but there’s a lot of pre-judging the player tbh. Maybe he will come in and be shit but I seriously doubt he will be worse than Lascelles, Clark and the current version of Schar - put any of those three in the Sevilla defence and I doubt it would look as solid. I’ve read differing things on him, Diego thinks he’s shit, then I’ve heard other things where people rate him among the form defenders in la liga, I’m willing to give him a chance. 

I have no idea what Boumsong was like in France tbh, but he had went to Rangers on a free iirc before we bought him in a deal that was dodgy as fuck so I’m not sure he was that immense. 

Edited by Howay

16 minutes ago, Howay said:

Money doesn’t really matter to our club now, it’s like all the ‘mis steps’ man city made early buying players that looking back weren’t great, they overpaid for, but helped them along the way. It’s like the 25m for wood, it’s an overpayment sure but it won’t matter in the grand scheme of things, it would matter if we were under Ashley and he was our massive outlay for the foreseeable future but this lot are seemingly trying to spend over 100m on players in this window alone (they’d have spent 80m on Botman and Carlos alone). If he comes in, does a decent job and helps us stay up, eventually becomes a squad player or moves away for 12m or so I can’t imagine any of us would feel it wasn’t worth it. 

I agree, as I say it’s not my money and we have to do something…

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, 247 said:

Sorry mid read your post and thought you meant with the £5m loan fee that we apparently offered, £15m loan fee is defo more reasonable from their point of view im sure. But yeah thats the thing, I just cant see them letting him go like that on loan mid season.. Vlahovic has been my dream signing from all the players we've been linked with but like you say hes not keen especially with Arsenal after him to. 

Also a £15m loan fee might seem a little excessive when we will probably start Wilson over him when hes fit again? And where does Wood fit into this.. maybe Howe does want to play with 2 strikers after all 

For Zapata, definitely mate but you can se how a high enough loan fee can entice the club as they might think, "hey we can double dip on the player (get more money) if newastlec get relegated".

But my main reason for high loan fees is I want to try before we buy the so called 'best' in Europe - read, they look amazing on football manager or have the best "stats" against little french boys. Sure they can do it on a Sunny Sunday in Nice, but can they do it on a cold, rainy Wednesday evening in Newcastle?

Let's be honest, we're more miss than hit with Frenchmen e.g. Thauvin, Obertan, Yanga-Mbiwa, Boumsong, Guivarc'h. There are the odd gems like Ginola, Robert, Cabaye etc

We also get a lot of daisy players i.e. some days he does, some days he doesn't like Ben Arfa and Maximin.

So yeah, I'd love if Newcastle used their loans to get high value players and if they don't work, we cut out loss than have them be on 5 year 100k+/wk contracts and save tens of millions in transfer fees. It also suits our position of possible relegation.

Come the end of the widow if the policy fails then we can look at Ramsey and co.

Just my thoughts :).

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Polarboy said:

Newcastle close in on £30m deal for Sevilla defender Diego Carlos | Newcastle United | The Guardian

The Guardian are saying that Sevilla have conceded defeat after Carlos's transfer request. 

All this build up, you watch him be utter pony if we get him. :lol:

54 minutes ago, Howay said:

I think it actually matters a lot though because of FFP. Look at Everton, they have spent over £500m, around £280m net over five years and because of no CL, they have zero funds to buy players even if the owner is willing to be a sugar daddy. They might need to sell Richarlison to have funds this summer. They haven't spent that well but we could be in the same position and now they might be fighting relegation albeit they have DCL back which maybe enough to keep them safe.

Even with amortization, the £105m lost over 3 years (£90m of that is the Saudis pumping 30m in a season) includes other losses such as wages, agent fees, bonuses etc and it rises fast. The main reason for haggling is:

1. Keep summer deals down when better value is to be had

2. The aim this window is to stay up so keep spending down where players are overpriced

I know getting relegated means a loss of £100m+ but if we spent £100m and get relegated that's a huge loss that our owners could take but would set us back a lot. There needs to be transfers but it needs to be balanced against the real threat of relegation and its tough. From a fan's point of view, I hold different views and think, fk it, its not my money :P

• Like 2

• Tom locked this topic