The Entirely Reasonable Potential Transfers Thread

Ayatollah Hermione

13 minutes ago, Andrew said:

I reckon the idea that we overpaid on that deal has been blown massively out of proportion, signing a reliable, PL experienced target man in the timeframe we did, while directly weakening one of our relegation rivals is worth more than that fee.

Leeds paid that much for Daniel fucking James, Leicester paid it for Islam Slimani.

Agreed. I was applying the same logic to Lingard, is it that mental paying 10M for someone proven at this level? Given our predicament, and with the possibility of tying him down permanently too. These are obvious points which they must have considered as well, so hopefully they're just confident in the backup options. Getting pretty close to squeaky bum time now though, and I can't imagine many clubs will sell right at the end of the window with little chance of finding a replacement. Or lower their prices knowing our desperation will only have increased.

21 minutes ago, aimaad22 said:

Agreed. I was applying the same logic to Lingard, is it that mental paying 10M for someone proven at this level? Given our predicament, and with the possibility of tying him down permanently too. These are obvious points which they must have considered as well, so hopefully they're just confident in the backup options. Getting pretty close to squeaky bum time now though, and I can't imagine many clubs will sell right at the end of the window with little chance of finding a replacement. Or lower their prices knowing our desperation will only have increased.

I guess the expectation is that we've already made contact on those deals allowing the selling club to investigate their options and decide that yep price gouging is the best option.

Gael Bigirimana On Coventry, Newcastle, His Time In Scotland & Representing Burundi

You attracted attention from clubs in the Premier League and joined Newcastle in 2012 after an impressive debut season at Coventry. Why did you choose Newcastle?

“To be honest, I didn’t. I wanted to stay at Coventry because I was happy at the club and I was playing regularly in the Championship at a young age.

“I knew who Newcastle were as a club because they are a big club in English football but I had never been to the city and I was reluctant to move on my own as a teenager.

“I made the move after being advised to and to be honest, I was not advised in the right way when I look back at that time.

“Things started well at Newcastle for me and I played games in my first season at the club in the Premier League.

“I played in Europe and I scored against Wigan Athletic in the Premier League in the same game that Demba Ba scored two goals. That was a highlight.

“However, after that first season, things started to slow down for me at the club which was frustrating because all I wanted to do was play.”

What was it like to work under Alan Pardew and train with players such as Yohan Cabaye, Hatem Ben Arfa and Fabricio Coloccini?

“Despite my frustrations about not playing at times, I enjoyed working with Alan Pardew. He saw something in me that I liked and he treated me and the younger players well by giving us opportunities in the first team.

“The senior players at Newcastle were also good with me. We had a talented and experienced squad at the time who looked out for each other. Fabricio Coloccini was a great leader who we all looked up to.

“In terms of ability, Yohan Cabaye was a key player and someone I learned a lot from. I also think back to playing and training with Hatem Ben Arfa. He had all the ability in the world and he was a truly special talent.

“I also want to pay tribute to Cheick Tiote who has sadly passed away now. He had the most incredible desire for every training session and every game. He was a top player and someone who is missed by everyone who knew him.”

https://worldfootballindex.com/2022/01/gael-bigirimana-on-coventry-newcastle-his-time-in-scotland-representing-burundi/

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

*Cough* £25m on Wood *cough*

Yep. Although it is potentially explainable by the specific circumstances of our desperation at the time that go beyond our league position, i.e., having no fit striker in the squad at all and a crucial game upcoming.

But, yeah, I agree. Wood is perceived as not worth that money. Which is actually something a bit strange in itself given his numbers are comparable to more fashionable strikers that the press fawn over constantly. Add to that that we significantly weakened Burnley and there’s a definite argument that it was good business.

But I tend to still agree with you as perception is king. And if enough people that matter say we overpaid and are desperate in the market then those are the facts. And that’s the situation the owners have to deal with as a result. 

• Like 1

There's no way in the world that would happen. I don't think we will have a DoF before our fate for the season is determined, understandably so.

I am finding myself, more and more, with each passing day and the monotonous failed bids, drawn inexorably towards team pissy pants, at my age that is not a good place to be 😔

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

I am finding myself, more and more, with each passing day and the monotonous failed bids, drawn inexorably towards team pissy pants, at my age that is not a good place to be 😔

The waters lovely and warm, come on in.

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

Martin Lawrence Hug GIF

• Haha 1

I've seen how you lot react to a crisis and its not pretty :razz:

Lets all just calm down and assume the people who know what they're doing are sorting it ;)

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, aimaad22 said:

£10m on a loan dead is crazy. £10m on a permanent deal with a relegation clause isn't so bad. What we want to avoid is spunking a whole lot of money on him then him turning out to be great and fucking off to another club on a free in the summer. It's the sort of deal where if we are going to sign him permanently with a relegation clause then you don't want to announce it until the last minute as it sets a precedent for other signings.

• Like 1

• Tom locked this topic