The Entirely Reasonable Potential Transfers Thread

Ayatollah Hermione

On 15/08/2020 at 16:35, Carl said:

So Bruce has been linked with this for £12 million 

20200815_163332.jpg

Looks like he’s being replaced by James Rodriguez, who will play for Ancelotti for the fourth time... I don’t expect him to be a Thierry Henry type success but they started last season with this gimp and Fabian Delph :glare:

21 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

Wilson is living off a decent 4 month spell 2 years ago and apoears increasingly injury prone.Bournemouth fans aren't mourning his departure. He's still a better option than Joelinton, but that bar is fuckin subterranean :glare:

His Wiki page says he played most of the games for the last three seasons so I'm not sure about injury prone.  His goal scoring hasn't been great for a side of similar ability other than that season before last (which was also when Frazer got 14 assists).  I would say he's clearly an upgrade on what we have but certainly not someone who's going to get the pulse racing unless he can find that form of a couple of years ago.  But my expectations are so low of what we can expect to bring in at this stage, he'd be a very positive move for us.

6 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

Looks like he’s being replaced by James Rodriguez, who will play for Ancelotti for the fourth time... I don’t expect him to be a Thierry Henry type success but they started last season with this gimp and Fabian Delph :glare:

Rodriguez had one decent World Cup and he's been very average ever since. I reckon Steve Bruce might beat him in a 100m sprint, slow as fuck.

So yesterday we were in pole position because of Bournemouth wanting Ritchie in part exchange, and now Villa are going to buy him for 20m. As much as it would be easy to suspect Ashley has purposely shat the bed because of fees, wages etc, this report from the BBC seems a bit odd. For a start 20m is about 10m short of what Bournemouth are supposedly after and seems low even for an opening bid. Surely even Penfold could get through a deal for 20m if 8-10m of the deal was Ritchie. You know it's not even the limitless cash that we missed out on from the Saudi's that annoys me most, it's having to put up with the chuckle brothers fucking about and taking an eternity to buy a player, and or let them slip away, purposely a lot of the time no doubt, to another team because of a few million quid. There's also the fact that Villa have been reported to also be in talks for Ollie Watkins who the Villa manager has worked with before. Can Villa actually afford to spend 50m on them both not even counting wages, or is this Wilson link meant to force Brentford's hand as a bit of bluff. I know I'm likely deluding myself, but I don't think anything I've said is that implausible.

Edited by Polarboy

Has there been a major player + cash deal in the premier league since Cole > Man Utd with Gillespie in return?  I can’t think of one and that particular deal was 25 years ago. For those reasons I don’t think what’s being proposed with Ritchie I has ever been likely..

27 minutes ago, Polarboy said:

So yesterday we were in pole position because of Bournemouth wanting Ritchie in part exchange, and now Villa are going to buy him for 20m. As much as it would be easy to suspect Ashley has purposely shat the bed because of fees, wages etc, this report from the BBC seems a bit odd. For a start 20m is about 10m short of what Bournemouth are supposedly after and seems low even for an opening bid. Surely even Penfold could get through a deal for 20m if 8-10m of the deal was Ritchie. You know it's not even the limitless cash that we missed out on from the Saudi's that annoys me most, it's having to put up with the chuckle brothers fucking about and taking an eternity to buy a player, and or let them slip away, purposely a lot of the time no doubt, to another team because of a few million quid. There's also the fact that Villa have been reported to also be in talks for Ollie Watkins who the Villa manager has worked with before. Can Villa actually afford to spend 50m on them both not even counting wages, or is this Wilson link meant to force Brentford's hand as a bit of bluff. I know I'm likely deluding myself, but I don't think anything I've said is that implausible.

The bit about Brentford is

21 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Has there been a major player + cash deal in the premier league since Cole > Man Utd with Gillespie in return?  I can’t think of one and that particular deal was 25 years ago. For those reasons I don’t think what’s being proposed with Ritchie I has ever been likely..

Sanchez/Mkitaryan was a straight swap.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

i was just struggling to see what brentford had anything to do with any of this :lol: 

If you had of actually read the comment properly you wouldn't be struggling, or at least you shouldn't be. As I said Villa have been heavily linked with buying Ollie Watkins off Brentford, more heavily than Wilson, and Brentford supposedly want close to 30m for him. The reports hold weight because of how well Watkins did in the championship last year, and the fact that Dean Smith has worked with him before. Clearly if Villa are in negotiations for Watkins it has to call into doubt how serious they are about buying Wilson, unless they are going to spank 50, 60m on the both of them and pay Wilson's 75-100k a week wages. I mean they did pay 100+ on transfers at the beginning of last season, but first season back and not being in the middle of Covid is a vastly different position to be in. I think it's fair to say that a relegation side buying two 20-30m strikers in one window seems a bit implausible. Maybe they will try to buy both, but my point still holds up to scrutiny even if you can't see it. 

Edit. Of course it could be the case that the media reports haven't caught up to reality and Villa have given up on Watkins because Brentford are asking for too much, but both he and Wilson appear to have pretty much the same transfer fee. This talk of 20m for Wilson in the BBC report again seems suspect given word was they wanted around 30m.

Edited by Polarboy

• Tom locked this topic