The Entirely Reasonable Potential Transfers Thread

Ayatollah Hermione

2 minutes ago, Andrew said:

ok but, hear me out here. On the first bold point, you don't have to give a shit about the money anymore, you never did really but now in particular you don't

On the second, Van Dijk and Alisson were the most expensive players in their positions ever bought at the time of purchase.

It's not about the amount being spent, I just think it's more sustainable in ways over than cash being spent over a long period if you are laying a strong foundation. It also lessens the possibility of the club buying a bunch of mercenaries who only care about their wages. As for Van Dijk and Allison, Van Dijk was bought off Southampton, and Allison was bought off Roma. Obviously Roma have a much higher pedigree than Southampton, but they are still a step down from the elite of Real, Barca, Liverpool etc. So yes they were expensive but for the same money there were more obvious choices at the time. And I did concede they were at the expensive end, and that those types of signings would pretty far down the track for us even if they weren't bought off one of the biggest clubs in Europe.

1 minute ago, Polarboy said:

It also lessens the possibility of the club buying a bunch of mercenaries who only care about their wages. 

We probably differ here but I honestly think that limits you to around 1% of top level pro footballers and as it is, that is all we can offer them compared to any other big spending teams.

Why would anyone we're being linked to pick us right now over a team that have actually got trophies or european football under their belts in the last 5 years? Money.

30 minutes ago, Andrew said:

We probably differ here but I honestly think that limits you to around 1% of top level pro footballers and as it is, that is all we can offer them compared to any other big spending teams.

Why would anyone we're being linked to pick us right now over a team that have actually got trophies or european football under their belts in the last 5 years? Money.

Which is why I wouldn't want them. Not all players are of the mentality that they don't care where they go, as long as the wages are better than the aforementioned established elite. If that was the case there would be more top players playing in China. There are still players who love the sport and have ambition. As I said I'd rather we followed a model similar to Dortmund and Leipzig and invest in youth, and make astute signings that aren't always obvious to other clubs with perhaps less knowledgeable scouting staff. It's undeniable that Liverpool, as I've said, have been very clever in who they've signed. Of course players will also take big wages as well just like anyone else would. Again the facts are that we realistically won't be able to just start bidding for the same players Man City, Real etc are bidding for right away regardless of the money we throw at it, which will be tempered by FFP rules in any case. We'll need to build ourselves up to a level that is more attractive, and put the right people in charge of making the decisions so people can see what sort of project it is we are trying to build. Who the manager is going to be will of course have a big influence on who we can convince to join us.

Edited by Polarboy

I'd agree with PB in that the elite player won't want to come to Newcastle, yet. Yes, money talks, but Mbappe can make hundred of thousands a week, AND play in the Champions League, compete for domestic trophies and all that jazz. Also, FFP rules will mean that if we looked to signed a player on the massive wages it would require to get a top player, our wage bill would increase too much to pass even the slackened rules, surely?

It's wiser, surely, to build a sustainable approach that you can carry on? 

• Like 1

I think what we need to avoid, should this go ahead, is buying the likes of Kluivert and Owen.  Both undeniably great players in the their day but both players who didn't really want to be here or have have the passion to keep playing if they weren't playing for the very top teams.

But you cannot say don't sign players from this team or that team.  It's all about the attitude of the individual player.  We signed Venison from Liverpool back when KK took us up.  He'd been at Liverpool when they were kings of the country but he still had the attitude of buying into the project here.  I know there are several caveat's in the case of Venison (ie him being local, never a top player at Liverpool and the money in football being very different then) but the point is still valid.  And he was an essential part of building a team that would play in Europe and eventually challenge for the title.  Having players who are winners is an important ingredient if you ever want to win anything.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, David Kelly said:

I think what we need to avoid, should this go ahead, is buying the likes of Kluivert and Owen.  Both undeniably great players in the their day but both players who didn't really want to be here or have have the passion to keep playing if they weren't playing for the very top teams.

But you cannot say don't sign players from this team or that team.  It's all about the attitude of the individual player.  We signed Venison from Liverpool back when KK took us up.  He'd been at Liverpool when they were kings of the country but he still had the attitude of buying into the project here.  I know there are several caveat's in the case of Venison (ie him being local, never a top player at Liverpool and the money in football being very different then) but the point is still valid.  And he was an essential part of building a team that would play in Europe and eventually challenge for the title.  Having players who are winners is an important ingredient if you ever want to win anything.

Aye, we need to do this in a Liverpool build, not a Man Utd one.

17 minutes ago, David Kelly said:

I think what we need to avoid, should this go ahead, is buying the likes of Kluivert and Owen. 

Aye, I reckon they're both well past their best nowadays.

• Haha 3

Apparently Barca will listen to offers for anyone in their entire squad apart from Messi, Ter Stegen and De Jong.

I reckon Messi, Ter Stegen and De Jong would be pretty nice signings.

On 16/04/2020 at 09:18, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Absolutely no chance Lascelles is more of a waste than Shelvey. Yedlin is our worst footballer by some degree unless you count running fast as a skill.

Yedlin offers fuck all like. Absolutely awful player. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Tom locked this topic