The Entirely Reasonable Potential Transfers Thread

Ayatollah Hermione

35 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Says more about him. 

:lol: Aye exactly. What’s the risk for him? I suppose he might worry he will look shit which might put people off? Not exactly backing yourself if that’s the case. If we go down he leaves, if we stay up he will probably have looked good and can stay or leave. Seems a weird decision on his side unless of course there are other offers. 

• Like 2

As a professional player, would you not believe in yourself that you could be the difference and you could help dig the team out of the mess? I cannot believe this is anything other than paper talk. Not saying that I think he wants to come, but being worried that we would be relegated makes no sense. He would keep the same wage as well. There is no loss for him in the scenario. It would make more sense that Manchester United wouldn't want to do business with us to slow down our hopeful improvements in the future. 

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Howay said:

:lol: Aye exactly. What’s the risk for him? I suppose he might worry he will look shit which might put people off? Not exactly backing yourself if that’s the case. If we go down he leaves, if we stay up he will probably have looked good and can stay or leave. Seems a weird decision on his side unless of course there are other offers. 

Aye. Left out of the last 3 Dutch squads cos he's getting no first team action. It's a world Cup year, and as long as he can put "faster than a snail" on his CV, he's guaranteed the next 18 starts for us. 

Fanny. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Is he actually good or is he just one of those players who gets better the longer they sit on the bench. AKA Marveaux Syndrome

He's decent, at least for Ajax. He play's in CM and is best used as a box-to-box midfielder like Joelinton, but he scores and creates. Main difference between him and Joelinton is he won't disposes his man but instead cover and press his man and when he has the ball he'd pass and run into space and not carry the ball out like Joelinton. If he were in yesterday's team it would be in Longstaff's position.

Main issue is that Shelvey doesn't protect the back 4 so really would need a formation change to accommodate him e.g. back 3 and 3 in midfield or get a DM in. 

Edited by Phoenix711

5 hours ago, Kid Dynamite said:

I don't think DM is a priority for us mind. Joelinton broke up all sorts of attacks in that position yesterday. What was blindingly obvious was the lack of creativity in the middle and someone with a bit of mobility to drop off and play a couple of triangles when we were looking to get away from their press.  

Hayden, Longstaff, Hendrick may as well be the same player and I'd happily get rid of all 3. Shelvey is slightly more useful as he can at least pick a pass. Also, if our game plan is going to be chucking balls in the box via ASM, Fraser, Murphy, Richie, Trippier etc. then we need to play 442 as Wood stood in the box on his own battling against 2 centre halves isn't going to get us goals 

I know what you're saying but Joelinton was winning the ball and trying to set up attacks, but he did that for the left hand side i.e. helped ASM. Joelinton doesn't have the defensive attributes for DM (positioning, pasing and marking). Especially passing, a good DM breaks up play and passes it out, if he runs it out then he has to be part of a double pivot but we're getting way too technical now.  As others have said, he's playing well in a box-to-box role, why move him?

On the right, Dennis, Pedro and co were literally running past Longstaff and Shelvey. The DM is there to stop players running at the back 4, Shelevy can't play/ do that role because he is doesn't have the defensive attributes i.e. read the game, tackling or positioning. And he can't make up for it with his physical stats (think Joelinton's strength and work rate) e.g. 10 minutes in he slides and fouled the Watford man on the edge of the box despite the ball being a few yards away.

I do agree we need some goals/ assist from midfield but if we're honest we need to overhaul the ENTIRE squad. Out of the few players we bring in, a couple should be defensive and a couple should be attacking. I posted earlier my 5 choices. I also think we need to use our loans wisely, there's a lot of "good" players out there for £50m+ that could flop and we don't have the money to waste cos of FFP (City and Chelsea literally wasted £500m cutting the dead wood from their squads). That's why loan-to-buy with high loan fees (subtracted from the buy fee) could be an excellent way to get genuine £50m+ talent while avoiding a £70m Pepe.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Howay said:

:lol: Can we try the approach of agreeing a fee with a club? 

Isn’t he also injured for a while? I think he’s a quality player mind. 

Been injured since September 

• Sad 1

36 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Sounds like Sven Botman all over again.

23 minutes ago, Howay said:

:lol: Can we try the approach of agreeing a fee with a club? 

Isn’t he also injured for a while? I think he’s a quality player mind. 

Yeah, and it's a pretty bad one - hamstring. Kept him out for 2 months and then pulled it again in training. Been 4 months now and is not expected back until mid February. He'd be brilliant on our left but way to big a risk given the fact he hasn't even recovered.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Dougle said:

What a wanker . Bullet.  Dodged

Compare that to Carlos who, supposedly…

One of those is looking increasingly likely to be Sevilla centre-back Carlos, whose desire to join the Premier League strugglers is helping in negotiations over a transfer fee.

• Tom locked this topic