The Entirely Reasonable Potential Transfers Thread

Ayatollah Hermione

29 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

this bloke is a complete bullshit artist, but I really hope this isn't true.

bloke on truefaith going a step further and more or less saying we should consider sacking howe and bringing back benitez as manager....

https://true-faith.co.uk/rafa-benitez-eddie-howe-and-newcastle-united-part-one/

• Jaysus... 3

9 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

I am finding myself, more and more, with each passing day and the monotonous failed bids, drawn inexorably towards team pissy pants, at my age that is not a good place to be 😔

Am setting up a cool, serene sort of group which  just rolls with thr highs and lows but just remains on an even keel.throguhhout.... #teamitwasneveraseasyaasomecuntsweresuggesting :cuppa:

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

32 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Oh decided to come back now have you?

All thanks to me (I sent him a PM, pleading him to come back). We can’t have fish thinking he’s top dog in the football forum can we?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I see the issue with Bruno like this.

In the long negotiations with Diego Carlos, in the end many things are discussed. Many players. When it was seen that the path with Diego Carlos could not be done, Newcastle will have asked (or the agents will have offered) other players on their list of representatives: In this case, Bruno. So, the club and agents see that they have spent too much time talking about a transfer that has not been made (Diego Carlos) and they think that they cannot waste time, and they end up making another agreement that sometimes is beneficial for everyone, or sometimes it is just to take the commissions and not have wasted time.

For example, these agents also have an Atlético de Madrid player on their payroll: Felipe Monteiro. While they were negotiating with Atlético to renew the player... Atlético signs Matheus Cunha, who is also from the same agency.

And they have more players who have been involved in Atlético. In fact, Atlético had a preferential option for Bruno Guimaraes in 2019... And they had closed another player from this same agency, Everton (former Gremio player), but could not sign him due to the non-EU limit.

That said, I think Bruno could be a very good player to play the rest of the season at center alongside Shelvey and Joelinton in the middle. He has good ball handling and is very intelligent, although he still lacks some physicality.

• Like 6

Yea this Bruno has the same agent as Carlos funnily enough. 

I can’t see this one happening. Since the lads been wanted by Juve and the Arse it’s just feels like a no goer unless we offer him silly money which Howe apparently doesn’t want to do.

So yeah, back to washing my sheets 

• Haha 3

30 minutes ago, thebrokendoll said:

bloke on truefaith going a step further and more or less saying we should consider sacking howe and bringing back benitez as manager....

https://true-faith.co.uk/rafa-benitez-eddie-howe-and-newcastle-united-part-one/

I didn't read the article but what they guy seemed to be saying is that if avoiding relegation is our sole aim then bringing Rafa in would be the right move.

That's not an entirely stupid position to have if survival is our sole aim.

Our big problem is in defence. The year we went down we were conceding 1.9 goals per match before Rafa. After his appointment that went down to 1.2 goals per match.

Meanwhile we averaged 1 goal scored per game before him and 1.6 goals scored after.

Had that season gone on another few games we would have stayed up. He took a shite team and massively improved us in a short time. 

If you look at the impact Howe has had we've gone from 1.1gs/2.2gc to 0.9gs/1.9gc. So basically not much difference. 

Of course Howe has had some tough matches and you can see that the football is getting better but the article is based on the question 'who would be better placed to keep us up?'. And I have to agree that the answer to that is Rafa. Now whether we should get rid of Howe not and bring Rafa back is a very different question.

• Like 1

It was obvious that we will find this transfer window really difficult. I really wonder why people are surprised. I would have been pleasantly surprised if it had been the other way round.

I guess we will resort to stop gap solutions on the last two days with signing targets no. 1 to 200 being not possible for a lot of reasons.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Isegrim said:

It was obvious that we will find this transfer window really difficult. I really wonder why people are surprised. I would have been pleasantly surprised if it had been the other way round.

I guess we will resort to stop gap solutions on the last two days with signing targets no. 1 to 200 being not possible for a lot of reasons.

What we're attempting was pretty unique and had little chance of succeeding . There's been a few great escape acts with little or no investment over the years so we'll have to wait and see. Selling clubs getting replacements in now is the big issue in the final days though..

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ewerk said:

I didn't read the article but what they guy seemed to be saying is that if avoiding relegation is our sole aim then bringing Rafa in would be the right move.

Our big problem is in defence. The year we went down we were conceding 1.9 goals per match before Rafa. After his appointment that went down to 1.2 goals per match.

Meanwhile we averaged 1 goal scored per game before him and 1.6 goals scored after.

Had that season gone on another few games we would have stayed up. He took a shite team and massively improved us in a short time. 

If you look at the impact Howe has had we've gone from 1.1gs/2.2gc to 0.9gs/1.9gc. So basically not much difference. 

Of course Howe has had some tough matches and you can see that the football is getting better but the article is based on the question 'who would be better placed to keep us up?'. And I have to agree that the answer to that is Rafa. Now whether we should get rid of Howe not and bring Rafa back is a very different question.

5 minutes ago, ewerk said:

in fairness to yousef hatem, it's not a bad article. he trys to keep it balanced and pretty much summarises as you have. although I think reading between the lines he would plump to bring back benitez. 

think that ship's sailed now, I'd rather have new defenders with the current manager than benitez working with lascelles and clarke again.

here's hoping for a productive next few days.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Isegrim said:

No doubt it was going to be difficult. Even with all we know about January windows and the position we are in in the table it’s still been disappointing imo, especially with all the noise made and expectations set before hand with it being stated we were aiming for 6 new players plus obviously our owners wealth.

Cant fully judge until midnight on the 31st but so far there’s no doubt we could have done better with proper structure in place. 

I think the Leeds result went a long way to settling the fans emotion for this last week, god knows what this thread would look like if we had lost 

Edited by 247
  • Like 1

Really I think, with 4-5 days to go, It is very difficult to sign players from other teams that are still playing the season. It would be time to focus on players who are six months away from their contract, or players who play in teams that do not already have aspirations in this half of the season (or teams in countries like Portugal or France that usually sells with the just price).

Sule and Tolisso. Yes they are playing for Bayern, so probably they could sign for UCL teams. 

Bernardeschi, Brozovic, Perisic, Mazraoui, Ginter, Januzaj, Kamara or Denayer.

All of them ending their contracts in june.

And in the other side, players as Senesi (Feyenoord), Kostic (Frankfurt), Weigl (Benfica), Forsberg (Leipzig), Bensebaini (GladBach),, Guimaraes (OL)

Keep Lascelles out the team and I think we will just scrape home as is.

He is the difference between a proud willy waved aloft and a sopping, salty undercarriage. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• Tom locked this topic