Television 4k’s, 8k’s, Oled etc

Christmas Tree

Currently got a 2014’ish Samsung LED which is great, but have passed some of the boredom looking at what the latest technology currently is.

Anyone know if SD and HD content looks better or worse on a 4k TV?

16 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

Currently got a 2014’ish Samsung LED which is great, but have passed some of the boredom looking at what the latest technology currently is.

Anyone know if SD and HD content looks better or worse on a 4k TV?

For four grand it should look amazing. 

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Kid Dynamite said:

SD is SD. Whether you watch it on a 720p telly, 1080p telly or 4K telly. The only thing that looks better on a 4K telly is 4K content. Of which there’s not a lot around currently 

My question is whether SD or HD looks worse on a 4k telly because it has been “upscaled” / stretched, to fit the extra pixels.

1 hour ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Cheers. 

Ive done loads of googling / YouTube reviews and it’s very confusing, which is why I was hoping to hear from someone who actually had one.

Lots of places are selling them and have hundreds of 5 star reviews, with people raving about how good they are, yet there’s a few “expert” reviews on places like AVForums that categorically state non 4K sources will look worse on 4k than they do on non 4K TV’s.

Obviously there’s very little 4K stuff from most broadcasters so I can’t quite understand how people are raving about 4K, if as the experts say, most of the stuff they are watching will look worse.

Have you got 4K?

My tv isn’t 4K. I got a hand me down 65” flat screen because it didn’t fit in my in laws new house. SD looks a bit crap on it because of how big it is.

My sister just wall mounted a 70” 4K tv and watching sky you can’t tell the difference between hers and mine. 

In all honesty, if your current telly looks ok and you don’t plan on buying loads of 4K Blu Rays, I would save your money. It will go bang one day and then you can buy a new one 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Ant said:

I've a 4k, and buying another one end of the month, contemplated an ultra short throw projector but too expensive yet for a "just fancy one" purchase for me anyway. 

If you're buying a new TV they're is no reason not to get 4k, doing anything else would be fruitless, it'll be the standard, 8k is pointless yet and it'll move on before content is widely available (and I think the only real use of it is massive panels) 

Sky etc will look no worse upscaled really, There's also plenty of 4k content on netflix, prime, YouTube, bluray, games etc (assuming your kids are that age for xbox ps4 etc) 

If you're just looking to upgrade your TV for sake of it  but buying the same size and not connecting it to anything 4k then I wouldn't bother until it either breaks or you're looking to use 4k/getting a different size. 

Hisense make good cheap 55"+ 4k panels, which is what my next one is likely to be, my other ones is a 50"Sony 

Cheers.

No nothing wrong with the TV we have, just fancied moving from 48” to 65”.  Only thing the kids play is fortnite so not really an issue.

Virtually everything else we watch is IPTV which is why I was worried about poorer sources looking worse when upscaled to a bigger telly.

Im guessing that most Iptv sources are like Kodi, either 1080 or 720? If I could be sure they wouldn’t look worse then I would probably buy one, but the grief I will get if Chicago PD looks worse on a 65” TV will be hellish.

14 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

65” & 70” TVs?

I really don’t get it... We’ve got two Samsung 32” tellys both over a decade old :lol:

Little cocks tbh 

All Amazon and Netflix original content is broadcast in 4K and looks awesome. SD looks shit on modern TVs.

A 65” TV isn’t actually that big now because they have next no surrounding plastic frame these days. We replaced an old 37” plasma about 4 years ago with a 50 something inch 4K telly and they take up roughly the same wall space 

27 minutes ago, ewerk said:

What size rooms do you people have that a 65 inch TV doesn’t look ridiculous?

Depends where you put it. My Sister has a fairly big sitting room with a huge fireplace the tv is wall mounted above. Its almost flush to the wall and doesn’t look out of place. She’s put another armchair in the corner and the room looks better imo 

21 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

All Amazon and Netflix original content is broadcast in 4K and looks awesome. SD looks shit on modern TVs.

A 65” TV isn’t actually that big now because they have next no surrounding plastic frame these days. We replaced an old 37” plasma about 4 years ago with a 50 something inch 4K telly and they take up roughly the same wall space 

I'm sorry but that's not true, a 65 inch telly is fucking massive. The bezel on my 10 year old Samsung is about 1cm. It works perfectly and the picture quality is superb. No idea what resolution it is, doesn't matter. I've a 4k TV in the other room and honestly I cant tell the difference between any of the input resolutions, or DVD or BluRay. The upscaling is perfect. Think mine are 44 inches.  65 inch is overkill, very few modern houses have view distance that would make sense. And in a typical room, very few of us middle aged duffers will have the visual acuity to get any benefit. Go ahead if you want the TV to dominate everything like, not for me. 

Incidentally, replacing perfectly good TVs for the sake of it? Talk about first world problems!

4 minutes ago, Renton said:

I'm sorry but that's not true, a 65 inch telly is fucking massive. The bezel on my 10 year old Samsung is about 1cm. It works perfectly and the picture quality is superb. No idea what resolution it is, doesn't matter. I've a 4k TV in the other room and honestly I cant tell the difference between any of the input resolutions, or DVD or BluRay. The upscaling is perfect. Think mine are 44 inches.  65 inch is overkill, very few modern houses have view distance that would make sense. And in a typical room, very few of us middle aged duffers will have the visual acuity to get any benefit. Go ahead if you want the TV to dominate everything like, not for me. 

Incidentally, replacing perfectly good TVs for the sake of it? Talk about first world problems!

Didn’t you replace a perfectly good window :lol:

2 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

Didn’t you replace a perfectly good window :lol:

Err, no. I had some horrible aluminium windows replaced with modern double glazed windows, including a lovely stained glass one, about 20 years ago and 3 houses ago. ;)

I've spanked loads of money away on pointless shit though, I admit. I won't be from now on though. 

26 minutes ago, Renton said:

We are going to have to agree to disagree. I upgraded TVs by about 20” and it took up barely any extra space on the wall and doesn’t feel like it dominates the room at all. 

You’re right about the first world problem though. We a house with a kitchen that doubles up as a second living room so we moved the old one in there 

2 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

We are going to have to agree to disagree. I upgraded TVs by about 20” and it took up barely any extra space on the wall and doesn’t feel like it dominates the room at all. 

You’re right about the first world problem though. We a house with a kitchen that doubles up as a second living room so we moved the old one in there 

Our conservatory is the 2nd TV room and then there’s 3 kids so always rotation depending where you are in the pecking order.