a 'project' thread...

thebrokendoll

I'm currently obsessed with some of the car upgrade shows on Netflix and Discovery btw. No idea why cos I couldn't give a shit about the car I drive, but I'm genuinely impressed with some of the shit these blokes do. Plus the lass on Car Masters (Netflix) has an incredible set of jammers and the cameraman knows EXACTLY what he's doing. 

22 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

I'm insulating my garage door and about to finish a fret job on a guitar. Proper man. 

I’m scared for this fret job.

Go outside and chop some wood instead He-Man :lol:

46 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

I'm currently obsessed with some of the car upgrade shows on Netflix and Discovery btw. No idea why cos I couldn't give a shit about the car I drive, but I'm genuinely impressed with some of the shit these blokes do. Plus the lass on Car Masters (Netflix) has an incredible set of jammers and the cameraman knows EXACTLY what he's doing. 

Pics or gtfo. 

18 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Dickheads, I've been on a two day course at Crimson. I'm the man. Got my levelling beam, my fret crowning file, the lot. Don't you worry about this! 

Pics or gtfo.

• Haha 3

20 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Dickheads, I've been on a two day course at Crimson. I'm the man. Got my levelling beam, my fret crowning file, the lot. Don't you worry about this! 

WTF is Crimson? Florist school?

Haha yeah it’s one of those things with an old

house. I’ve ripped the whole bathroom out, repiped it all to move the suite around and now I’m tiling.

The boiler is a pig anyway so if it’s a goner then so be it but I’ve got a plumbing coming tomorrow to see what I have fucked up.

They’re evil machines when they go wrong like. 

Mine started leaking like fuck in February at about 2am. Leaked down into my kitchen, ruined the ceiling.

I was trying to fix it and it just meant a jet of water would spray violently from another place.

Eventually settled on a bucket I had to keep emptying as the stop tap is in a truly stupid place.

It was like a scene from a comedy. 

3 hours ago, Tom said:

They’re evil machines when they go wrong like. 

Mine started leaking like fuck in February at about 2am. Leaked down into my kitchen, ruined the ceiling.

I was trying to fix it and it just meant a jet of water would spray violently from another place.

Eventually settled on a bucket I had to keep emptying as the stop tap is in a truly stupid place.

It was like a scene from a comedy. 

wow - i'm impressed you even tried to fix your own boiler. i'd be straight on the phone to one of the local cowboys

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve spruced this bad boy up a bit and it’s been christened “”Pamela Anderson” by the “idiot alarm” * WhatsApp group as it’s “a fuckin old bike from the 1980s” :lol:

* the current Mrs PL’s term for 10 or so fellow twats...

102A2E24-0FA2-4F9F-9420-A941B814212A.jpeg

• Haha 4

Fret job update, fannymunchers. Done today. All levelled beautifully then polished up to 12,000 grit so those babies are like glass. 

I'll finish it tomorrow morning - just need to sort the nut out now. I'm shimming the old one and then just re-filing the nut slots. 

A job incredibly well done. 

On 17/09/2020 at 19:32, PaddockLad said:

I’ve spruced this bad boy up a bit and it’s been christened “”Pamela Anderson” by the “idiot alarm” * WhatsApp group as it’s “a fuckin old bike from the 1980s” :lol:

* the current Mrs PL’s term for 10 or so fellow twats...

102A2E24-0FA2-4F9F-9420-A941B814212A.jpeg

"Can you ride t'tandem?" 

I’ve finished the bathroom. Just waiting for a new window then fit that, fucking 2 week lead time. It’s boarded up like a crack den.

Finished the skirting boards and picture rail in the little bedroom today, I seriously dislike walls that aren’t plumb.

• 1 month later...

got an opportunity to buy this at a fucking ludicrously cheap price, and i mean stupidly cheap!

comes with a 3 and 4 jaw chuck and a collet chuck with collets up to 30mm, loads of soft jaws and tool holders and access to 'free' (cough!) carbide tips!

here's the drawbacks, it runs on 3 phase so will need converting to a single phase motor or ran with an inverter instead plus my ability with electrical stuff doesn't progress much beyond light bulbs and plugs! i've got fuck all room for it in the garage unless i build a shed for 3 motorbikes and evict them, plus, although i could get it lifted on to the back of a mates lowloader by the fork lift driver at work, god only knows how i'll get the thing off again at the house!

worked the machine many times and although it's in need of some attention on the bed to reduce the taper it produces when turning anything longer than 6 inches it's got massive potential and a fantastic project, even for use turning wood.

we got any electricians on here who fancy doing some wiring stuff (and lifting!) in cheltenham? might be a pint in it for you!   :)

20201109_074316 (2).jpg