Callum Wilson

wykikitoon

I'll reply on this thread so you don't feel shit for having no replies.

This lad certainly knows where the goal is and he scores every sort of goal a good striker does, still very pacy and should give us a much more dangerous option up top than we did last season. Hopefully he hits the ground running. Good luck to him!

• Haha 1

When was the last time we paid the going rate for a 28 year old, who is unlikely to have much sell on value after his contract expires? Everything about this deal is most unlike Ashley. A sensible signing of a player already in his prime, with a decent record in the PL, and in a position that needed to be strengthened. Feels like a first. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

When was the last time we paid the going rate for a 28 year old, who is unlikely to have much sell on value after his contract expires? Everything about this deal is most unlike Ashley. A sensible signing of a player already in his prime, with a decent record in the PL, and in a position that needed to be strengthened. Feels like a first. 

I'm not writing him off but he's hit double figures in the PL once and his overall PL goal:game ratio is worse than 1 in 3. I don't think you can confidently say he's still in his prime after last season. He needs to prove that.

Edited by TheGingerQuiff

7 hours ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

I'm not writing him off but he's hit double figures in the PL once and his overall PL goal:game ratio is worse than 1 in 3. I don't think you can confidently say he's still in his prime after last season. He needs to prove that.

I meant age: 27-30 years old is typically when a player hits his prime but before he loses his pace/sell on value. I don’t remember Ashley once paying the going rate for a player in that age bracket. Perhaps he did this time because he got Wilson relatively cheaply from a relegated side. 

It’s not like we’ve broken our transfer record for a proven 20 goals a season striker but it feels a lot more ambitious than the move for Joelinton, which was a head scratcher at the time, despite the alleged £40m outlay