Callum Wilson

wykikitoon

• 1 month later...

Wilson signs new Newcastle deal

Callum Wilson has signed a contract extension that places him in line with Newcastle United’s highest earners.

The striker’s new two-year deal also contains an option to extend it beyond that based on a variety of factors.

When Wilson joined from Bournemouth for £20million ($22.3m) in 2020, he turned down Aston Villa, accepting a lower salary than they were offering to go to Newcastle.

Wilson has scored three times in four Premier League appearances this season and has been their top scorer in each of his two full Newcastle campaigns. In his 48 top-flight games for the club, he has 23 goals and five assists.

However, injuries have restricted his appearances. The 30-year-old has already missed four games this season with a hamstring problem and his latest injury in mid-August prompted Newcastle to break their transfer record by signing Sweden international striker Alexander Isak for around £60million ($67m) from Spain’s Real Sociedad.

Despite concerns over Wilson’s durability, Newcastle remain reliant on the England international. Eddie Howe, the head coach, signed Wilson for Bournemouth eight years ago and is a huge advocate.

Alongside tinkering with Wilson’s training schedule to try to keep him fit for longer, Newcastle want him to help the club’s younger forwards develop over the coming years.

Isak is only 23 and Newcastle are expected to recruit a younger forward next year to replace Chris Wood, who is also 30. Garang Kuol, the highly-rated 18-year-old Australia international who was signed last week ahead of joining in January, can also progress by training alongside Wilson.

• Like 2

Makes total sense, even though he's made of glass. 

Plus, he's good enough to help younger strikers with their movement, and finishing.

he would be going to qatar if he wasn't so injury prone. happy that he's signed an extension but feel we need another striker to cover for when he is inevitably injured again. 

13 minutes ago, ewerk said:

I think Isak is all we're getting for the forseeable.

Yeah I doubt we'll sign another striker for the first team squad, but more of a goal threat from our wings is definitely on the cards.

• 3 weeks later...

Had to listen to this on the radio, but they had Clinton Morrison on who is a mate of Wilson. 

Anyway, I didn't realise that Wilson's family was still living in Bournemouth, and he's been doing a regular 700 mile round trip to see them. 

Morrison was saying that Wilson thinks (presumably with some advice from the club) that this has been contributing to his injury record, and he's just recently moved his family up here. 

Be interesting to see if we now see an improved injury record off the back of it. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Gemmill said:

Had to listen to this on the radio, but they had Clinton Morrison on who is a mate of Wilson. 

Anyway, I didn't realise that Wilson's family was still living in Bournemouth, and he's been doing a regular 700 mile round trip to see them. 

Morrison was saying that Wilson thinks (presumably with some advice from the club) that this has been contributing to his injury record, and he's just recently moved his family up here. 

Be interesting to see if we now see an improved injury record off the back of it. 

They were living in Poole actually :cuppa: 

He said before the season started in an interview about his injuries and moving the family up…. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

He said before the season started in an interview about his injuries and moving the family up…. 

Is that right? In the fucking POOLE Gazette was it? Nice of you to share it with the forum anyway. Unbelievable. 

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

You get through some brews lad. Are you sleeping okay?  

• Haha 4

9 hours ago, Gemmill said:

Is that right? In the fucking POOLE Gazette was it? Nice of you to share it with the forum anyway. Unbelievable. 

It was on the planet’s most widely read news website so yeah incredibly hard to find at the time. In May. Yeah. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-10855983/Callum-Wilson-giving-700-MILE-trips-family-bid-make-Englands-World-Cup-squad.html

52 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Michael Owen would have been absolutely slaughtered for making those comments. :lol: 

He would have mentioned his helicopter and horses, though, not the wish to keep fit to play for us.

It's going back 16/17 years so my memory might be playing tricks, but didn't we have examples where Owen was fit to play for England, but not for us? I remember we had a similar situation with Bellamy a few years prior to it as well. 

I see no issue with a player doing everything possible to give himself the best chance of playing for his country in a major tournament, so long as it's not at the expense of playing for his club side.

There’s worse than that this morning . Ritchie plainly given the weekend off to be with family on the south coast instead of warming the bench at WHL spotted at Southampton Airport checking in to get the red eye back to Tyneside for training this morning :cuppa:

6F48E1AF-1636-4B37-AA63-8510665BA421.jpeg

12 hours ago, Gemmill said:

Backs and hamstrings are interconnected from an injury pov too innit. 

Let's hope the club has cracked the case. 

spot on about backs and hamstrings 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Craig said:

It's going back 16/17 years so my memory might be playing tricks, but didn't we have examples where Owen was fit to play for England, but not for us? I remember we had a similar situation with Bellamy a few years prior to it as well. 

I see no issue with a player doing everything possible to give himself the best chance of playing for his country in a major tournament, so long as it's not at the expense of playing for his club side.

It's controversial to say but before he packed it it in, I think Shearer used to sometimes make sure he was "fitter" for England at the expense of NUFC. 

• 5 months later...