Callum Wilson

wykikitoon

From .com:

Only eight players have scored more goals for the club in the PL, his [Wilson's] Goodison brace seeing him draw level with Ayoze Perez on 33:

Callum Wilson 33
Robert Lee 34
Papiss Cisse 37
Nolberto Solano 37
Les Ferdinand 41
Shola Ameobi 43
Andy Cole 43
Peter Beardsley 46
Alan Shearer 148

Does anyone else find this surprising? For me it really underlines how absolutely dogshit our recruitment in terms of forwards was during the Ashley years. Anyone who was decent was quickly sold (Carroll, not that I really begrudge the fat bastard for that sale) or was only temporary (Remy, Rondon.) The first time we actually scouted and paid money for a PL-standard striker, he's turned out our joint-9th top scorer and I expect he'll move up at least 4 places on that list before he's done if not more. Potentially he could end up #2. 

But rather than simply paying the odds for a quality player, we brought in free transfers (Kuqi, Carroll 2.0), rejects from other clubs (Joselu), planks from overseas (Xisco, Riviere, both de Jongs, Mitrovic, Muto) and loans for crap players (Slimani, Doumbia, Ferreyra.) 

Edited by acrossthepond
  • Like 5

29 minutes ago, acrossthepond said:

From .com:

Only eight players have scored more goals for the club in the PL, his [Wilson's] Goodison brace seeing him draw level with Ayoze Perez on 33:

Callum Wilson 33
Robert Lee 34
Papiss Cisse 37
Nolberto Solano 37
Les Ferdinand 41
Shola Ameobi 43
Andy Cole 43
Peter Beardsley 46
Alan Shearer 148

Does anyone else find this surprising? For me it really underlines how absolutely dogshit our recruitment in terms of forwards was during the Ashley years. Anyone who was decent was quickly sold (Carroll, not that I really begrudge the fat bastard for that sale) or was only temporary (Remy, Rondon.) The first time we actually scouted and paid money for a PL-standard striker, he's turned out our joint-9th top scorer and I expect he'll move up at least 4 places on that list before he's done if not more. Potentially he could end up #2. 

But rather than simply paying the odds for a quality player, we brought in free transfers (Kuqi, Carroll 2.0), rejects from other clubs (Joselu), planks from overseas (Xisco, Riviere, both de Jongs, Mitrovic, Muto) and loans for crap players (Slimani, Doumbia, Ferreyra.) 

Aye, I said last night that Ba and Cisse was the last time we had two decent strikers at the same time. And even that was only for about a year.

• Like 3

Wilson's 70th PL game for us today, and his 35th goal. 

Isak aside, I think there's only Remy and Ba got a better goals to games ratio since Shearer retired (and they both ditched us pretty quickly).

Fair to say he's done the no.9 proud?

• Like 8

39 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Isak aside, I think there's only Remy and Ba got a better goals to games ratio since Shearer retired (and they both ditched us pretty quickly).

Beat Lee today and he'll beat Cisse and Solano by the end of the season, Beardsley by next. 

His performances give the lie to that absolute bullshit peddled by Ashley and his apologists about wiping our noses and resale value or whatever bollocks. There were quality players available for reasonable fees. It wasn't rocket science, and it also wasn't only achievable by "sovereign states" (c) some asshole. Wilson cost 20m. When you think about what that gets you in the PL these days it was an absolute snip, and we paid well over that trying to find bargain basement deals for some of the absolute losers I mentioned in my post above. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

imagine how good he’d be without the injuries 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Kid Dynamite said:

And he did that majority playing in shite team that fed off scraps.

• Like 2

Makes you wonder (imagine even) where we'd be if this Callum Wilson had come back from the world cup instead of the slow carthorse Callum Wilson that Southgate sent back.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
On 30/04/2023 at 23:12, Dr Gloom said:

imagine how good he’d be without the injuries 

We wouldn’t have signed him though imo. That’s why he was ‘affordable’ under the previous regime. 

• Like 1

Glad we did sign him though, imagine what a player capable of what he's managed this season would be costing us now. I think he's a great player for us, I really think he's one of the best in the team. Howe clearly thinks he's a fantastic player too for his tactical brain and workrate, but for me it's just his sheer determination and constant threat he poses. Really pleased for him that he's had such a good season.

• Like 3

It’s great to see him back to his best after looking off the pace for a few weeks after the World Cup. Isak’s elevation to first team regular seems to have really spurred him on. 

• Like 5

On 20/05/2023 at 16:17, Dr Gloom said:

It’s great to see him back to his best after looking off the pace for a few weeks after the World Cup. Isak’s elevation to first team regular seems to have really spurred him on. 

Absolutely and the way Eddie has managed him too.  Dropping him to the bench for a bit.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...