What about Dave Jones?

Howaythelads

Curiously, there is a thread on the SMB where a mackem says almost exactly the same thing as HTL. Hmmmm, maybe we shouild get Jones to spite them. :lol:

http://www.readytogo.net/smb/showthread.php?t=98983

90659[/snapback]

Just looked at the link, ( only page 1, I can't be arsed with that forum anymore, I stopped winding them up on there about 3 years ago, or even longer. They do have a sense of humour, mind you, so........hmmm )

To be fair Renton, all I've said is that I've been impressed by what Jones has done at all of the clubs he's managed. If we can't attract a proven top manager I think he'd be a good choice, much better than Bruce, O'Neill or the likes of O'Leary.

91056[/snapback]

How do Jones' achievements compare to O'Neill then? I know he was doing ok with Southampton until the accusations, but what else has he done? It's a serious question by the way.

Comparable to Hoddle IMO - and I pray to god no-one suggests we go for him...

91361[/snapback]

AF already suggested him.

91363[/snapback]

Southern bias tbh.

Comparable to Hoddle IMO - and I pray to god no-one suggests we go for him...

91361[/snapback]

AF already has tbh.

91362[/snapback]

Why am I not surprised? :lol:

Glen Hoddle, massively overated imo. I remember when we were top of Div 1 and the only mention our league would get in the national press was how good Swindon were and how he had them playing total football. They came up here and they were shite. 0-0 it was iirc, and Swindon were boring as fuck. Total football my arse.

Not searched "Hoddle Newcastle" on google yet? There may be some useful information suggesting a manager sooner than we thought.

91890[/snapback]

And if you bothered to click the link and read on at .com's page you'd see:

Odds against:

Bookies bowl a Glenn Google-y

Some strange betting patterns were reported on Thursday as Glenn Hoddle's odds of becoming our next manager tumbled.

It was a surprise to see the former England boss and current Wolves boss in the frame as he certainly wasn't one of the initial names in the frame.

Was it a case of Chinese Whispers or unfounded rumours doing the email and internet rounds? Who knows, but as someone pointed out to us, typing "Glenn Hoddle Newcastle United" into Google produces the following result:

NUFC.com

A club statement read: "Newcastle United today announced Glenn Hoddle will take charge of first team affairs for the immediate future." ...

Puzzled?

So were we, until we realised that a trip to Coxy's Corner (somewhere below) has us highlighting a gaffe that appeared on ITV and Football 365 the day Graeme Souness was sacked.

Expect Hoddle's odds to drift back out again....

PS - We had already placed our particular wagers well before the Hoddle red herring.

Not searched "Hoddle Newcastle" on google yet? There may be some useful information suggesting a manager sooner than we thought.

91890[/snapback]

And if you bothered to click the link and read on at .com's page you'd see:

Odds against:

Bookies bowl a Glenn Google-y

Some strange betting patterns were reported on Thursday as Glenn Hoddle's odds of becoming our next manager tumbled.

It was a surprise to see the former England boss and current Wolves boss in the frame as he certainly wasn't one of the initial names in the frame.

Was it a case of Chinese Whispers or unfounded rumours doing the email and internet rounds? Who knows, but as someone pointed out to us, typing "Glenn Hoddle Newcastle United" into Google produces the following result:

NUFC.com

A club statement read: "Newcastle United today announced Glenn Hoddle will take charge of first team affairs for the immediate future." ...

Puzzled?

So were we, until we realised that a trip to Coxy's Corner (somewhere below) has us highlighting a gaffe that appeared on ITV and Football 365 the day Graeme Souness was sacked.

Expect Hoddle's odds to drift back out again....

PS - We had already placed our particular wagers well before the Hoddle red herring.

92146[/snapback]

Toontastic exclusive tbh....

http://www.toontastic.net/forum/index.php?...949entry87949

England 'set for British manager'

I hope they're right about O'Neill and England. I have to say I don't know too much about him and although I accept he's probably a very good manager and possibly the best British manager available at the moment, I'd be a lot happier with one of the European coaches we're being linked to.

I don't quite understand the fascination with O'Neill. The way I see it, his reputation is largely down to the fact that he's been linked with the ManU (and Liverpool) jobs and now the England post for ages. As I said, I don't know too much about him, but what is it that makes people think he's so good? His track record is decent, but no more than that. Playing devil's advocate, you could say that it's comparable to Souness'. I'm not a regular viewer of Scottish football, but apparently the way Celtic played under him consisted of long balls forward, or is that just a misconception? What are his main strengths? Can anyone enlighten me?

Edited by Bombadil

England 'set for British manager'

I hope they're right about O'Neill and England. I have to say I don't know too much about him and although I accept he's probably a very good manager and possibly the best British manager available at the moment, I'd be a lot happier with one of the European coaches we're being linked to.

I don't quite understand the fascination with O'Neill. The way I see it, his reputation is largely down to the fact that he's been linked with the ManU (and Liverpool) jobs and now the England post for ages. As I said, I don't know too much about him, but what is it that makes people think he's so good? His track record is decent, but no more than that. Playing devil's advocate, you could say that it's comparable to Souness'. I'm not a regular viewer of Scottish football, but apparently the way Celtic played under him consisted of long balls forward, or is that just a misconception? What are his main strengths? Can anyone enlighten me?

92632[/snapback]

I think you hit the nail on the head, actually.

Toon make move for O'Neill

By Alan Oliver, The Evening Chronicle

Newcastle United are ready to offer Martin O'Neill the manager's job at St James' Park. That's the news the Chronicle can reveal tonight.

And our information is that the Irishman is prepared to say yes and come to Tyneside as successor to Graeme Souness.

This even though O'Neill has been installed as one of the favourites to replace Sven-Goran Eriksson when the controversial Swede steps down as England coach after the World Cup in Germany in the summer.

While travelling back from United's disastrous Carling Cup debacle at Wigan Athletic on November 30, I was contacted from Glasgow by a source close to O'Neill saying that if there was going to be a managerial vacancy at St James' Park, then he would be interested.

There have been more calls about the former Celtic manager since, and even suggestions that, because his wife Geraldine is making good progress with her recovery from illness, O'Neill could be prepared to come to Tyneside sooner rather than later.

United chairman Freddy Shepherd has been delighted at the way caretaker boss Glenn Roeder has handled things both on and off the field in the past eight days.

And I can reveal that two senior players sent texts to Roeder last Saturday night thanking him for the way he had masterminded the victory over Portsmouth.

But I understand that Roeder has been told that he is only in charge until next Saturday's FA Cup fifth-round tie with Southampton at St James' Park.

This could all change, of course, if O'Neill does opt for United instead of England but wants to wait until the end of the season.

Roeder would then stay on before returning to his normal job as Academy director.

O'Neill topped a Chronicle poll as the man United supporters would want as their manager, and if Shepherd can get his man from under the noses of England then it would be a tremendous piece of business.

There are lot of reasons why O'Neill would want both jobs - and just as many why he would not want either.

As far as England are concerned, his No 2 and long-standing sidekick John Robertson is as Scottish as they come, and I hear he would not be comfortable wearing the three lions on his chest.

The FA's new supremo Brian Barwick worked with O'Neill at Leicester City and he has made it clear that he wants the former Nottingham Forest midfielder as Eriksson's successor.

Premier League chairman Dave Richards, who is part of the three-man panel with Barwick and international committee member Noel White who will pick the new England manager, said only yesterday that he would have to be British.

But while this was meant to include Irishman O'Neill, I hear that Richards is not so keen.

O'Neill is basically a private person and has not made any comment on either the England or Newcastle situation.

But he is attending a testimonial dinner in Glasgow tomorrow night, in what will be a rare public appearance since he left Celtic to look after his wife, and there could be more concrete news on his future early next week.

Oliver is pathetic.

As for O'Neill, I'm still not sure why everyone is so ecstatic about him.