The Special One vs The Special Needs One

ewerk

1 minute ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

Again it’s got fuck all to do with deliberate. But if it got no advantage then it shouldn’t be a penalty.

Clearly not, otherwise it wouldn’t have been given.

But that’s exactly why the refs should be instructed to use VAR to interpret whether there was intent, or not.  The handball rule should be about stopping cheating. 

12 minutes ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

Quick question, Perisic handball world cup final, deliberate or not?

That was a tough one because he was so close to the ball when it was struck - and I can see why some people argued it wasn’t  - but I thought it was, yeah. He moved his hands towards the ball to deflect it as he watched it come on to him, which to me suggests intent.

It was about interpretation, which meant some people will always disagree with the decision that the referee/VAR came to. But there will be more moaning as teams are increasingly robbed of a result the way spurs were today. I can see the funny side today but I’d be seething if we were denied two points in similar circumstances 

Edited by Dr Gloom

Fun Fact ...

Since Opta began collecting exact Premier League goal times in 2006, Callum Wilson's penalty equaliser for Newcastle (96:20) is the latest any side has scored with their first shot on target.

• Haha 5

Well I've watched it, its quite soft but I can't say I care tbh. 

Newcastle coloured specs on we've been having crap soft penalties given against us for years and had stonewaller after stonewaller not given in our favour. 

You've to go back to 12-13 for us to be in the top half of the table for penalties awarded in our favour across the season.

The handball rule was shit before and it still is. Meh.

Fucking hell, Ryder is trying to bum up Bruce for telling Carroll to give the penalty to Wilson to take. Talk about scraping the bottom of the barrel for an upside.

Edited by Polarboy
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

Did it hit his arm?  Yes.

Was his arm away from his body? Yes.

Did his team gain an advantage through it hitting his arm? Yes.

I honestly don’t see what all the whining is about, everyone wanted clearer rules and they now have them. Get a fucking grip.

The rules have been changed to fit in with VAR, which is a tiny bit bizarre as VAR was supposedly a cure all for all refereeing mistakes...but now we’re changing the 150 year old rules of the game to keep twats watching tv & commenting on the internet happy....it’s fuckin nonsense...

10 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

That was a tough one because he was so close to the ball when it was struck - and I can see why some people argued it wasn’t  - but I thought it was, yeah. He moved his hands towards the ball to deflect it as he watched it come on to him, which to me suggests intent.

It was about interpretation, which meant some people will always disagree with the decision that the referee/VAR came to. But there will be more moaning as teams are increasingly robbed of a result the way spurs were today. I can see the funny side today but I’d be seething if we were denied two points in similar circumstances 

Cool, see I would trust you to make the decision but not our bent refs.

28 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

The rules have been changed to fit in with VAR, which is a tiny bit bizarre as VAR was supposedly a cure all for all refereeing mistakes...but now we’re changing the 150 year old rules of the game to keep twats watching tv & commenting on the internet happy....it’s fuckin nonsense...

Well that’s bollocks because rules change all the time.

2 minutes ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

Well that’s bollocks because rules change all the time.

On the face of it, that’s correct....eg pass back to goalkeeper rule & offside rule have both changed in the last 30 years but you have to look at the context why the changes were made. These two rules were changed in an attempt to make the game a better spectacle. Pass back undoubtedly did, the offside changes caused a lot of confusion. 

The handball in the penalty area rule has changed twice in a year because of VAR. I’m not a fan either of the context or how it plays out on the pitch. 

• Like 2