Shearer will stay in charge

Craig

By Alan Nixon

NEWCASTLE are ready to shuffle their management team to get round Premiership rules and keep Glenn Roeder and Alan Shearer in charge.

Chairman Freddy Shepherd has an emergency plan to promote coach Tommy Craig, who has his coaching badges, if he cannot find a new boss in the next few weeks.

Neither Roeder nor Shearer have the licenses needed to remain in control for a long period. So Scot Craig - the reserve team boss - could become part of the senior set-up.

That would satisfy Premiership rules and give Shepherd the chance to bring in a new manager at his leisure. It also gives Roeder and Shearer the chance to take charge for the rest of the campaign.

Shepherd is drawing up a list of candidates for the post but he is considering the option of sticking with the current staff and waiting for the right man in the summer.

Roeder and Shearer would have popular support while they are winning, so the only snag is from the football authorities - and a change of personnel ends that problem.

Source: http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/topstories/t...-name_page.html

I think too many are reading too much into a decent performance against an extremely piss poor team - all this will change if we struggle in the meantime.

90019[/snapback]

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks that.

I'm not neccesarily against it, but I get the feeling that a lot of people are perhaps expecting too much from one game. I hope it continues, I really do, and I'm not saying it can't, but I'm not reading too much into after one game.

I think it's nailed on that if there's no appointment in the next 2-3 weeks, it will be Eriksson or Scolari in the summer after the World Cup.

90624[/snapback]

I don't think it's nailed on at all. For example. Allardyce will be waiting to see who gets the England job before deciding on his future. Same with Curbs at a guess.

I don't think we'll take a risk on Scolari tbh. For someone who wanted a British manager before, FS is hardly going to take on a manager who doesn't even speak the language, let alone one who has never managed in Britain.

Sven looks destined for the Real Madrid role anyway.